Companies Target Veteran Employees for Dismissal, Deny Unemployment Benefits

george4title

Aug 2, 2010

Are companies targeting veteran employees to reduce costs and increase profit margins. This women was employed by Stater Bros. Grocery chain for 15 years and after taking 3 months off to care for her dying mother, was fired and denied unemployment benefits. After losing her home and cars, she moved in with another family and is receiving welfare benefits. She has recently procured a bank teller job for $10 per hour at 20 hours a week.

Last edited by a moderator:
The company that I work for is cutting almost 20% of its Non-Union (management) workforce (1200 reduction in a 6200 person workforce). I can almost guarantee that anyone over the age of 55 will be GONE.

This is simply because we're in a regulated business and the regulators in three of the four states where we do business didn't give us the rate increases we wanted. The company has SOLD part of its business in one of those states, and has informed the other three that they will not be spending any more money on maintenance of facilities than they have been allowed to recover costs from the rate-payers for. So if Massachusetts allows recovery of $10 Million of capital spending on the distribution system, that's all the company will spend. Not a single penny more.

To ensure their profits remain the same or increase, they're also cutting these 1,200 jobs. Including probably close to 25% of the senior management positions.

That's a shame. I rather hope that those who are forced out use their experience and start their own businesses. It would be nice to see some people with experience trying things out in the world.

That's a shame. I rather hope that those who are forced out use their experience and start their own businesses. It would be nice to see some people with experience trying things out in the world.

Kinda tough when the industry you're in is the Gas & Electricity Transmission and Distribution business.

Kinda tough when the industry you're in is the Gas & Electricity Transmission and Distribution business.

Sounds to me as if the union needs to be cut out to save their jobs.

just saying

Sounds to me as if the union needs to be cut out to save their jobs.

just saying

I don't doubt that there will be additional Union reductions down the road, but right now it's 1,200 Management employees. You know, the people who sit around on their ass all day and do nothing more than "supervise" the Union workers who actually go out and do things. There are almost no "workers" in the company who are not Union employees at this point.

Forum List

Back