Companies insist female workers undergo sterilization.

R

rdean

The union's case ended up before federal judge Robert Bork, who, in 1984, found in favor of the company. Bork ruled the fetal protection policy wasn't hazardous because the women had the option of surgical sterilization. The civil rights case was dropped after 3 1/2 years of pre-trial proceedings. In 1983, the women accepted a settlement from the company.

For more information, go here: JSTOR: University of Pennsylvania Law Review: Vol. 133, No. 5, p. 1167

Here is more information from jrank.org.

The 1991 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that declared fetal protection policies to be a violation of CIVIL RIGHTS laws came too late for five women from West Virginia who were forced by their employer to choose between undergoing a sterilization procedure to avoid health risks associated with their higher paying jobs, remaining fertile but moving to lower paying jobs, or quitting their jobs altogether (International Union, UAW v. Johnson Controls, Inc., 499 U.S. 187, 111 S. Ct. 1196, 113 L. Ed. 2d 158 [1991]). The women worked at an American Cyanamid factory in Willow Island, a poor region where decent-paying jobs were scarce. They were all among the first women to work in these factories, which, before 1974, had employed only men.

What really happened

----------------------------

See, this doesn't involve a "fetus", so for the right wing, it's a "win win". And all for a "better job". Bork, too bad he died. If Romney had won, he would be Romney's adviser.
Contraception is wrong, but sterilization is OK.

so you're saying that Romney would be adviced by a dead man?

So Romney has the power to raise the dead... well I guess he technically does, but I dont think that power is exercised like that or else we would all be bringing people back from the dead. I think it generally takes God's consent for that to happen.

But this is completely irrelevant. Just you trying to smear the living for something a man who passed away did. And who knows if you are accurately representing the facts. More than likely you aren't. Since that's who you are.

so you're saying that Romney would be adviced by a dead man?

So Romney has the power to raise the dead... well I guess he technically does, but I dont think that power is exercised like that or else we would all be bringing people back from the dead. I think it generally takes God's consent for that to happen.

But this is completely irrelevant. Just you trying to smear the living for something a man who passed away did. And who knows if you are accurately representing the facts. More than likely you aren't. Since that's who you are.

Judge Bork, who was senior judicial adviser this year to Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/us/robert-h-bork-conservative-jurist-dies-at-85.html?_r=0

You guys try too hard for an "ah ha" moment. He was Romney's adviser during the campaign. He just died, but if he hadn't......

Yet, he couldnt be his advisor if Romney had won, because he died. Hence, you claiming he would be is irrelevant, not only because Romney didn't win, but because he is dead and couldn't possibly advice him if Romney wanted to.

Companies are stupid if they hire young females. They know they're gonna get pregnant several times and each time will cost the company thousands of dollars. Not fair to men either.

The union's case ended up before federal judge Robert Bork, who, in 1984, found in favor of the company. Bork ruled the fetal protection policy wasn't hazardous because the women had the option of surgical sterilization. The civil rights case was dropped after 3 1/2 years of pre-trial proceedings. In 1983, the women accepted a settlement from the company.

For more information, go here: JSTOR: University of Pennsylvania Law Review: Vol. 133, No. 5, p. 1167

The 1991 U.S. Supreme Court ruling that declared fetal protection policies to be a violation of CIVIL RIGHTS laws came too late for five women from West Virginia who were forced by their employer to choose between undergoing a sterilization procedure to avoid health risks associated with their higher paying jobs, remaining fertile but moving to lower paying jobs, or quitting their jobs altogether (International Union, UAW v. Johnson Controls, Inc., 499 U.S. 187, 111 S. Ct. 1196, 113 L. Ed. 2d 158 [1991]). The women worked at an American Cyanamid factory in Willow Island, a poor region where decent-paying jobs were scarce. They were all among the first women to work in these factories, which, before 1974, had employed only men.

What really happened

See, this doesn't involve a "fetus", so for the right wing, it's a "win win". And all for a "better job". Bork, too bad he died. If Romney had won, he would be Romney's adviser.

Ironic. The company tried to protect itself and their employees. I assume they also were trying to protect themselves from being sued by employees and spouses because of fetal death, injury or disfigurment and ultimatly was sued because they were trying to protect themselves and their employees.

I remember this case. The chemicals caused permanent damage to female reproductive systems resulting in miscarrages or severly deformed babies. The jobs they did were unsafe and could not be made safe. The alternative should have been to just not hire these women at all.

I remember this case. The chemicals caused permanent damage to female reproductive systems resulting in miscarrages or severly deformed babies. The jobs they did were unsafe and could not be made safe. The alternative should have been to just not hire these women at all.

They were also offered jobs in a different department some were lower paying positions, but refused.

CaféAuLait;6525400 said:

What really happened

Ironic. The company tried to protect itself and their employees. I assume they also were trying to protect themselves from being sued by employees and spouses because of fetal death, injury or disfigurment and ultimatly was sued because they were trying to protect themselves and their employees.

No, the company was trying to protect itself FROM their employees.

Forum List

Back