Companies are laying off employees at a level not seen in nearly a year..

Trajan

conscientia mille testes
Jun 17, 2010
The Bay Area Soviet
Christ just what we needed, another cycle like this.

its seems to me for instance that all of the jobs getting hacked at Cisco., Lockheed Martin and Borders add up to more than jobs than have been gained over the last 2 months....(?) I could be off but I am willing to bet its fairly close.

Everyone has over the last 30-60 days or so downgraded the growth for this year and next...so, this is expected I guess.

We do not appear to be making any forward progress here and this, imho represents shift backwards.....the recession ended 2 years ago.

Co.'s like Intel an all channel tech. bellwether has posted record revenue for Q2 11, but flat to lower gross profit margins......*shrugs* its OPERATING costs cut into the bottom line ( as it does with similar Co's in Manuf.) so.......layoff and capital and expense cut time....

Layoffs Deepen Gloom

JULY 21, 2011

Companies are laying off employees at a level not seen in nearly a year, hobbling the job market and intensifying fears about the pace of the economic recovery.

Cisco Systems Inc., Lockheed Martin Corp. and troubled bookstore chain Borders Group Inc. are among those that have recently announced hefty cuts, while recent government numbers underscore how companies have shifted toward cutting jobs.

The increase in layoffs is a key reason why the U.S. recorded an average of only 21,500 new jobs over the past two months, far below the level needed to bring down unemployment, which now stands at 9.2%.

The cuts also reflect the shifting outlook of employers, many of whom had expected the economy to gain speed as the year progressed. Instead, growth has faltered. If the pace continues to disappoint, more companies will feel pressure to pull back. "Layoffs have played a big role [in weak job growth] over the last few months," said Mike Montgomery, an economist at IHS Global Insight. "The soft patch is more layoffs and nothing else to pick up the slack."

The trend is evident across several sectors. On Monday, following two straight quarters of lower profits, Cisco, the San Jose, Calif., networking-equipment giant, revealed plans to lay off 6,500 employees—about 9% of its staff. Goldman Sachs Group Inc., struggling with an unexpectedly steep decline in its trading business, said Tuesday that it is eliminating 1,000 jobs and indicated it may need to cut more.

snip-

In May, U.S. public and private employers shed 1.78 million workers, the highest level since August 2010. Among those layoffs, 1.66 million were from the private sector.

Other data indicate that employers are cutting more jobs. The government's most recent comprehensive jobs report, released in early July, showed the number of people out of work for less than five weeks—a figure many economists use as a proxy for layoffs, since it tallies those recently let go—grew 15.5% from May to June to a total of 3.1 million. That's the highest level for that gauge since October 2009. Meanwhile, the number of people applying for jobless benefits has been stuck at elevated levels above 400,000 a week since early April.

Behind the cuts are jittery employers whose faith in the recovery—and, by extension, consumers' willingness to spend—has been shaken. Companies are maintaining profit margins by cutting jobs and costs, and, for the moment at least, are investing in efficiency-enhancing equipment rather than new workers. Still, by turning to layoffs—which are costly in the short run as companies pay severance and restructure operations—businesses risk being caught flat-footed when the economy starts expanding at a faster clip.

more at-
Companies Step Up Layoffs - WSJ.com

NA-BM486_Layoff_G_20110720211803.jpg

Last edited:
what is really scary is that summer is the time when companies usually hire in great numbers. The next job statistics look bad.

yea well, I have it on fairly good authority that a few of the large software makers who(m?) have had laid off folks twice in that last 3 years are going to be implementing same in a new style.

The 'slow death', in that it looks pretty bad if a ceo cannot manage a co. where in they have to lay off every year they are now in one I know of for a fact, letting folks go month by month incrementally.

It's probably due to spending cuts by the government.

No fat government contracts.

No employees.

why yes of course, because people don't buy car insurance or read books when the gov. doesn't pay them too....:rolleyes:

some of it probably is, which begs the Q, so thats that? No gov. spending no economy? what happened to the stimulus which was supposed to "prime the pump" of the economy?

so now we just keep borrowing money to to send it to states to pay for roads and bridges that ...oh wait there are no shovel ready jobs:eusa_whistle:......or, keep union member's employed becasue well, the Federal gov will now pay their salaries since the states can't ...yea thats a real design for growth......

yea well, I have it on fairly good authority that a few of the large software makers who(m?) have had laid off folks twice in that last 3 years are going to be implementing same in a new style.

The 'slow death', in that it looks pretty bad if a ceo cannot manage a co. where in they have to lay off every year they are now in one I know of for a fact, letting folks go month by month incrementally.

Home Depot Co-Founder: Obama Is Choking Recovery - Investors.com

Home Depot Co-Founder: Obama Is Choking Recovery

By JOHN MERLINE, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY
Posted 07/20/2011 06:35 PM ET

Bernie Marcus co-founded Home Depot (HD) in 1978 and brought it public in 1981 as the U.S. was suffering from the worst recession and unemployment in 40 years. The company thrived, creating hundreds of thousands of jobs and redefining home improvement retailing.

But Marcus says Home Depot "would never have succeeded" if it launched today due to onerous regulation. He recently helped launch the Job Creators Alliance, a Dallas-based nonprofit of CEOs and entrepreneurs dedicated to preserving the free enterprise system. IBD recently spoke to him about jobs and the economy.

IBD: What's the single biggest impediment to job growth today?

Marcus: The U.S. government. Having built a small business into a big one, I can tell you that today the impediments that the government imposes are impossible to deal with. Home Depot would never have succeeded if we'd tried to start it today. Every day you see rules and regulations from a group of Washington bureaucrats who know nothing about running a business. And I mean every day. It's become stifling.

If you're a small businessman, the only way to deal with it is to work harder, put in more hours, and let people go. When you consider that something like 70% of the American people work for small businesses, you are talking about a big economic impact.

IBD: President Obama has promised to streamline and eliminate regulations. What's your take?

Marcus: His speeches are wonderful. His output is absolutely, incredibly bad. As he speaks about cutting out regulations, they are now producing thousands of pages of new ones. With just ObamaCare by itself, you have a 2,000 page bill that's probably going end up being 150,000 pages of regulations...

Why we

July 21, 2011, 12:01 a.m. EDT
Why we’ll have 10% unemployment soon
Commentary: 3 key sectors show just how weak job market is

By Jeff Reeves

ROCKVILLE, Md. — After the nationwide unemployment rate peaked above 10% in late 2009, we saw a fairly rapid decline in jobless rolls during the next 12 months. By March of this year, the headline jobless number had crept back under 9% and renewed optimism in the economic recovery and equity markets.

Well, we’ve been reading a much different story in the last month or two, with disappointing job creation and a rise in the overall unemployment rate as the meager number of new positions can’t keep up with the sheer volume of folks looking for work.

To make matters worse, we are now seeing a disturbing new spate of layoff announcements — not just a dozen or so workers here and there, but pink slips issued by the thousands at some of the biggest blue chips on Wall Street. Read about 6,500 jobs cut at Cisco.

In short, there aren’t enough jobs to go around now and there will be even fewer jobs a few months down the road. All this points to significantly higher unemployment in the near future, possibly over the 10% mark.

So where will the biggest damage be done? I think these three sectors top the list: ...

NASA is laying off ten thousand. Because unions cost too much.

Russia can do it for 10% less..

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

yea, pretty cool eh, we need a ride to space we sign a contract the Russians...

:eusa_think:but you know, the Russians beleive in Russian exceptionalism, like the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism soooo, what the heck, lets help them feel exceptional!:eusa_angel:

winning!!!!!!

ED-AN936B_taylo_G_20110720172503.jpg

:rolleyes:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QS0q3mGPGg&feature=related]‪Songify This - Winning - a Song by Charlie Sheen‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

On Thursday, Borders is expected to ask the U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of New York at a scheduled hearing to allow it to be sold to liquidators led by Hilco Merchant Resources and Gordon Brothers Group. If the judge approves the move, liquidation sales could start as soon as Friday; the company could go out of business by the end of September.

Borders' seeks approval to liquidate, close stores - The Denver Post

Good post Trajan. The next move you will see is cutting military spending. Then watch the layoffs jump.

On Thursday, Borders is expected to ask the U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of New York at a scheduled hearing to allow it to be sold to liquidators led by Hilco Merchant Resources and Gordon Brothers Group. If the judge approves the move, liquidation sales could start as soon as Friday; the company could go out of business by the end of September.

Borders' seeks approval to liquidate, close stores - The Denver Post

yup, it was in the article....Barnes and noble will be next....

I work in the healthcare field and let me tell you ... it ain't pretty. The fourth round of lay-offs ( reduction in force ) has just started. One of our hospitals has closed to inpatient care and a number of our clinics have closed as well. All this in just a few short years.

I work in the healthcare field and let me tell you ... it ain't pretty. The fourth round of lay-offs ( reduction in force ) has just started. One of our hospitals has closed to inpatient care and a number of our clinics have closed as well. All this in just a few short years.

But Obamacare will fix that right?

But Obamacare will fix that right?

I don't think so.
Ooooops, another few hundred billion down the drain in that case.

Forum List

Back