COMP question. can i back up my comp?

how do you get and install an external hard drive and what does it do?
Here's some external hard drives. Most use USB to connect to your computer. They come with software you'll install, for transferring files and doing backups:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e_1_19?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=external+hard+drive+500gb&sprefix=external+hard+drive]Amazon.com: external hard drive 500gb: Electronics[/ame]

how do you get and install an external hard drive and what does it do?
Here's some external hard drives. Most use USB to connect to your computer. They come with software you'll install, for transferring files and doing backups:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_e_1_19?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=external+hard+drive+500gb&sprefix=external+hard+drive]Amazon.com: external hard drive 500gb: Electronics[/ame]

Addendum, if they are USB they will just show up as a mass storage device when you plug them in, shouldn't need to install anything but you may need to format them. They are the easiest way to back up your files if you are backing up a LOT of files. If you have Qwest you can back up your files through Windoze automatically, just install their internet software. Otherwise you can pay for server space online, many of the hosts will let you set up a back up system for your files instead of use the space for a website, just get in touch with their technical support before you pay for it ;)

Another way to do it is to buy a USB flash drive, AKA the thumb drive. You can buy a few and back up different types of files on them or cycle through them once a month ... whatever system you like. They would be the cheapest and are more reliable than a drive, plus you can take them with you easily if you want.

i still dont understand what they do? if i have one and my comp crashes do i just plug this device in and my comp is back running?

externals also give you the ability to disconnect so after you've done the backup, disconnect it and if you mess up and get a virus, your backup drive is uneffected

i still dont understand what they do? if i have one and my comp crashes do i just plug this device in and my comp is back running?

Depends on how old the computer is. The newer ones can boot from the USB port, but older ones cannot. If not then you need a "boot disk", a floppy or CD with the information required to boot back up without the hard drive. The CD is called a "live CD" now, and most OSes have those. Once you boot from that you can restore your hard drive from the backup. If you have a CD burner it's best to have the live CD instead of just the boot floppy, so you can be sure you have all the drivers you need.

Forum List

Back