'Community organizer' is to Barack Obama what 'war hero' was to John Kerry

It's hilarious how it's fashionable for republicans to shit on Kerry's military service, DESPITE THEIR 04 HOMEBOY, while the DEMS are capable of extending respect to Mccain's service. For real, fellaz.. this dead horse won't make your 04 choice any less of a silver spoon PUSSY who didn't have half the balls Kerry did in 'nam.

Honestly, I think John Kerry was a decent and honorable man for serving his country. As a vet. the only issue I had and still have with John Kerry is the throwing of the medals thing over the fence at the White House and his complete lack of respect for his fellow vet's. that were in-country at the time. Now I'm sure he didn't see it that way but I assure you a LOT of us did, as for his military service though, I completely respect his service in Vietnam the same as I would for any person who served in the Military.

South Side Veterans for Truth
By JAMES TARANTO

Last week we wrote that " 'community organizer' is to Barack Obama what 'war hero' was to John Kerry." We didn't know the half of it.

Kerry staked his claim to the presidency on the pretense that he was a war hero, notwithstanding his showy repudiation decades earlier of the war and his fellow veterans. According to a new exposé in the liberal New Republic, Obama, before embarking on a career in politics, similarly, albeit quietly, repudiated "community organizing," only to re-embrace it decades later, apparently out of political expediency.

TNR's John Judis tracked down Jerry Kellman, who in 1985 "hired Obama to organize residents of Chicago's South Side." Kellman describes a conversation the two "community organizers" had at a conference on "social justice" in October 1987:

"[Obama] wanted to marry and have children, and to have a stable income," Kellman recalls.
But Obama was also worried about something else. He told Kellman that he feared community organizing would never allow him "to make major changes in poverty or discrimination." To do that, he said, "you either had to be an elected official or be influential with elected officials." In other words, Obama believed that his chosen profession was getting him nowhere, or at least not far enough. . . .
And so, Obama told Kellman, he had decided to leave community organizing and go to law school.
Another way of putting this might be that Obama left community organizing because he wanted a job in which he had actual responsibilities (and, of course, earned more money).

But Obama did not decide only that "community organizing" was not for him. Judis reports the future senator took part in a September 1989 symposium in which he "rejected the guiding principles of community organizing: the elevation of self-interest over moral vision; the disdain for charismatic leaders and their movements; and the suspicion of politics itself." Later, Obama "would begin to construct a political identity for himself that was not simply different from his identity as a community organizer--but was, in fact, its very opposite."

Judis offers the closest thing we've heard to a job description for "community organizers." What they do, he writes, is "unite people of different backgrounds around common goals and use their collective strength to wring concessions from the powers that be." To help illuminate this rather vague description, Judis also enumerates some of the tasks Obama and his colleagues undertook.

Before Obama's arrival in Chicago, Kellman and his "partner," Mike Kruglik, set out "to revive the region's manufacturing base--and preserve what remained of its steel industry--by working with unions and church groups to pressure companies and the city; but those hopes were quickly dashed." Apparently the presence of "community organizers" is not a strong selling point for companies making location decisions. Go figure.

Obama set his sights lower, but still missed the mark. He "got community members to demand a job center that would provide job referrals, but there were few jobs to distribute." Then "he tried to create what he called a 'second-level consumer economy' . . . consisting of shops, restaurants, and theaters. This, too, went nowhere."

These efforts at economic development having failed, Obama "began to focus on providing social services for Altgeld Gardens," a government-owned and -operated apartment complex:

"We didn't yet have the power to change state welfare policy, or create local jobs, or bring substantially more money into the schools," [Obama] wrote. "But what we could do was begin to improve basic services at Altgeld--get the toilets fixed, the heaters working, the windows repaired." Obama helped the residents wage a successful campaign to get the Chicago Housing Authority to promise to remove asbestos from the units; but, after an initial burst of activity, the city failed to keep its promise. (As of last year, some residences still had not been cleared of asbestos.)
It is both funny and scary that one of America's major political parties would offer this record of sheer futility as its nominee's chief qualification to be president of the United States. Even more striking, though, is how alien the world in which Obama operated was by comparison with the world in which normal Americans live.

Reader, when your toilet breaks, do you wait around for some Ivy League hotshot to show up and organize a meeting so that you can use your collective strength to wring concessions from the powers that be?

Or do you call a plumber?

As a "community organizer," Obama toiled within a subculture of such abject dependency that even home repairs were "social services," provided by government (or, in Obama's Chicago, not provided). It was an utterly bizarre intersection between the cultural elite and the underclass. By Judis's account, Obama's Columbia degree was useless. He would have been more helpful if he'd gone to vocational school instead.

Judis quotes an Altgeld resident as telling Obama, "Ain't nothing gonna change. . . . We just gonna concentrate on saving our money so we can move outta here as fast as we can." Certainly no one can fault Obama for doing the same thing. But what did Obama move outta there to do? To become a politician--specifically, an "idealistic" politician who wants "to make major changes in poverty." Guys like that created this mess in the first place.

In his political career, has Obama done or even said anything to suggest that he has a different approach to "poverty," one that would reduce dependency rather than promote it? His recent rediscovery of the glories of "community organizing" certainly isn't an encouraging sign.

Best of the Web Today - WSJ.com

Sounds like a cheap shot at a veteran and nothing more than hearsay about Obama to me.

Honestly, I think John Kerry was a decent and honorable man for serving his country. As a vet. the only issue I had and still have with John Kerry is the throwing of the medals thing over the fence at the White House and his complete lack of respect for his fellow vet's. that were in-country at the time. Now I'm sure he didn't see it that way but I assure you a LOT of us did, as for his military service though, I completely respect his service in Vietnam the same as I would for any person who served in the Military.

I don't agree with Mohammad Ali for tossing his Gold medals either, but I totally understand why he did it.

Don't send our soldiers to a bullshit war and then give us medals, but then when we come back home messed up mentally and physically, shit on us and pretend like we don't exist. If the government is going to do that to the soldiers, they can keep their fucking medals. Not to mention deny them benefits.

After everything you know about Nam, how can you be upset with kerry for trying to get you out of that farse?

I think the Republicans back then probably spun it like they do now and made him look unpatriotic. Trust me, protesting the government to get you guys out of Viet Nam was just about the most patriotic thing a guy could do. IMO

They should not throw you guys into bullshit wars. We support you, just not the wars our politicians wage for money and power.

first off. HE EARNED THEM so HE COULD THROW THEM wherever the fuck he wants to. He was not the first vet to rebuke the war in vietnam. Regardless of how YOU saw it he had a little more experience there than you do. Given the failure that WAS vietnam, front to back, i cant blame him for reacting the way he did. And i sure as hell won't assume that only patriots hop on a swiftboating bandwagon. Again, it's a fucking joke that republicans claim to "support veterans"... while wasting no time talking shit about an actual VET... while voting for a silver spoon pussy.

first off. HE EARNED THEM so HE COULD THROW THEM wherever the fuck he wants to. He was not the first vet to rebuke the war in vietnam. Regardless of how YOU saw it he had a little more experience there than you do. Given the failure that WAS vietnam, front to back, i cant blame him for reacting the way he did. And i sure as hell won't assume that only patriots hop on a swiftboating bandwagon. Again, it's a fucking joke that republicans claim to "support veterans"... while wasting no time talking shit about an actual VET... while voting for a silver spoon pussy.

ha! We said basically the same thing, just in different ways.

Lol.
You'd think he would..instead he decides to hop up his achievements by making up stuff.

Shows how little he esteems the public, and how low he presumes their intelligence.

You don't read from the same script because you're disorganized, untruthful bigots, and as such, can't get out of your own way.

When i read the first 2 lines, i thought you were talking about McCain. No, its beause we all have our opinions. Half of the country can not believe the same exact things. You should know what you want, then choose your candidate, not be told what to choose by the GOP.

Ok, this thread has officially been taken over by trolls.

Ah I see, when you can not formulate a counter arguement you insult your opponent, typical republican. I will give you another chance to give an arguement to my last statement.

Not when the conversation devolves into senseless frothings and sputterings, thanks.

First let me say this, what part of my opinion would give you the idea that I thought John Kerry was an idiot of some kind? As I said the man was in combat, the man is former Military, I'm retired Military , I have no argument with his service, it's why I said I thought he was a decent and honorable man. On the medals thing and the protesting thing, however, your damn right I have a problem with that. If I'm stuck there getting my ass shot at by AAA/SAM's day after day and someone is back in the US, that is lending aid and comfort to the enemy and making my job harder by effecting the moral aboard ship and giving the enemy resolve and causing the deaths of my shipmates indirectly, your goddamn right I got a problem with that. Yes he earned those medals and has every right to do what he wants with them, but the people that watched his back in Vietnam helped him earn them, and by making that sybmolic gesture he was in the eye's of many Vet's including me tossing them over that very same fence. I have never questioned his service, not one time, here is a man that served his country in an honorable way in combat so don't assume that all Republicans call into question his service because this one doesn't . The other thing, don't assume every single Vet you talked to that's a Republican actually voted for George Bush in 04.

I don't agree with Mohammad Ali for tossing his Gold medals either, but I totally understand why he did it.

Don't send our soldiers to a bullshit war and then give us medals, but then when we come back home messed up mentally and physically, shit on us and pretend like we don't exist. If the government is going to do that to the soldiers, they can keep their fucking medals. Not to mention deny them benefits.

After everything you know about Nam, how can you be upset with kerry for trying to get you out of that farse?

I think the Republicans back then probably spun it like they do now and made him look unpatriotic. Trust me, protesting the government to get you guys out of Viet Nam was just about the most patriotic thing a guy could do. IMO

They should not throw you guys into bullshit wars. We support you, just not the wars our politicians wage for money and power.

sealybobo, I think I made it pretty clear why I am upset with John Kerry, and it has nothing to do with his Military service. However, protesting the War in Vietnam for the most part while on paper seemed like a noble thing to do , they were not only protesting the war they were protesting us too. The guys that were deployed, "babykillers" "spit on" , rocks thrown at sailors returning home from dear duty. There was a time when we were not allowed to wear a uniform off base because of it. So while today's standard of protest is to protest the reason for the war , while still supporting the men and women who fight it is a noble one and one I DO NOT have a problem with. During that time, when somene , anyone, was seen by the guys overseas as part of a group of people doing just that, then they were not only protesting the war they were protseting us too. *see what I mean* So that's what I have a problem with and thats what I have a hard time about John Kerry with. People try to measure him by todays standards of his actions then and you simply cannot do that in order to get an appreciation of how many Vets still feel. Now for me, this is a private thing and I would not use it as an election issue and those who did are complete scumbags in my book. So hopefully this gives you a little perspective.

If John Kerry scrapped his medals such an action in no way "aided" the enemy. That war was as frivolous as Iraq with lives lost over nothing worth fighting for. If YOU want to turn his perogative into a talking point then so be it. It's not like charlie was actually going to kill you MORE after seeing john protest the war.

"[Obama] wanted to marry and have children, and to have a stable income," Kellman recalls.
But Obama was also worried about something else. He told Kellman that he feared community organizing would never allow him "to make major changes in poverty or discrimination." To do that, he said, "you either had to be an elected official or be influential with elected officials." In other words, Obama believed that his chosen profession was getting him nowhere, or at least not far enough. . . .
And so, Obama told Kellman, he had decided to leave community organizing and go to law school.
Another way of putting this might be that Obama left community organizing because he wanted a job in which he had actual responsibilities (and, of course, earned more money).

And that makes him bad why?

Grasping at straws, or what?

Obama is not the one who started that cummunity organizer thing. It was an irrelevant comment by Palin.

Some of us who actually watched the RNC instead of assume we know who said what could tell you that it was Rudy Giuliani who first brought it up, not Palin.

Then again, that would just be the people who actually watched it.

They're busy getting all their information from bloggers.

Who admitted, on CNN, that all the Palin quotes they had posted and were being picked up by the little spastics, were complete and total fabrication.

Some of us who actually watched the RNC instead of assume we know who said what could tell you that it was Rudy Giuliani who first brought it up, not Palin.

Then again, that would just be the people who actually watched it.

My point was Obama did not bring it up as has been suggested. And my doctor would not allow me to watch it.

They're busy getting all their information from bloggers.

Who admitted, on CNN, that all the Palin quotes they had posted and were being picked up by the little spastics, were complete and total fabrication.

I actually got my quotes from litening to her speaking on NPR and in random clip on the news.

My point was Obama did not bring it up as has been suggested. And my doctor would not allow me to watch it.

Does this strike anyone else as a little...odd?:confused:

Though I'd venture to say this is indicative of what's to come. I told you libs a while back to get your doctors lined up, because there's going to be a huge rush on psychiatrists by libs after the next election.

Forum List

Back