Commune Living

lol, I'm so narrow-minded. When I think of commune, all I can think of is the murderous Charles Manson & Co., and lately, pedophile Warren Jeffs. Silly me. :rolleyes:

The problem some have with true communes is that they require people to work a 40 hour week for the commune.

You might get to pick the job you do butt they still need people to work, which means most liberals dont last long in them and libertarian types do quit well.

If you are willing to work a commune may be a great way to live, some even have dental plans.

The funny part is how many communist get thrown out of communes, the work part gets to them, most of them think you just sit around and smoke weed and weave baskets.

:thewave:

This might shock some of you, given my Libertarian tendencies, but I recently enjoyed the opportunity of living on an old commune in rural California.

And I enjoyed it! Granted, it was an up-scale commune with most of the residents doing business outside of the commune, but the warm community atmosphere was something I found seriously lacking both in our urban centers and suburban sprawl. An excellent environment to raise a family, where you needn't fear letting the kids out at night.

Being the Libertarian I am, there's a business opportunity in creating commercial neighborhoods that mimic the best parts of commune living. Principally, there needs to be the recognition of private property that enables economic growth while also requiring property-owners to contribute and maintain community-owned property. Give everyone a commercial incentive to maintain the grounds, so to speak. I do think some commercial enterprises have built such communities, but not in the Midwest where I live.

Any of you have any experience living on a commune or a housing co-op? What are your experiences?

"Principally, there needs to be the recognition of private property that enables economic growth while also requiring property-owners to contribute and maintain community-owned property. Give everyone a commercial incentive to maintain the grounds, so to speak."

We already have that - those communities are called middle class, upper middle class and wealthy neighborhoods..

The community maintains their communal property so their private property, or more specifically - their homes maintain their value or grow in value.

I'm a libertarian and I would NEVER live with a bunch of dirty progressive hippies.

This might shock some of you, given my Libertarian tendencies, but I recently enjoyed the opportunity of living on an old commune in rural California.

And I enjoyed it! Granted, it was an up-scale commune with most of the residents doing business outside of the commune, but the warm community atmosphere was something I found seriously lacking both in our urban centers and suburban sprawl. An excellent environment to raise a family, where you needn't fear letting the kids out at night.

Being the Libertarian I am, there's a business opportunity in creating commercial neighborhoods that mimic the best parts of commune living. Principally, there needs to be the recognition of private property that enables economic growth while also requiring property-owners to contribute and maintain community-owned property. Give everyone a commercial incentive to maintain the grounds, so to speak. I do think some commercial enterprises have built such communities, but not in the Midwest where I live.

Any of you have any experience living on a commune or a housing co-op? What are your experiences?

Few truly democratic utopian communes last very long.

I do think that a modifed communal lifestyle is possible.

A modified commmune would include both private property and public benefits, too.

The players would have to buy into that community at the onset to insure that they had a vested interest in the experiement.

If they did things like shared purchasing of food and energy and had shared community resources (like snowploughing, tools, etc, entertainment etc) they might forge a better overall quality of life than they could have as invididuals.

Its a lot of work leeping community going, though, from generation to generation.

I'd be tempted to create such a commune if my land was in a place where such a commune would legal.

That would never last..

The problem isn't with the idea - its with human nature.

Could you spend the rest of your life in this commune? Why did you just pop in for a visit? Why don't you go back, live there for 10 years, and get back to us?
I was visiting my family who have lived there for 25 years and loves it. They're highly-educated professionals, so we're not talking stinky drug-addled hippies.

Homes on this commune sell for $500k-$1million.

I'm related to a bunch of "progressive" professionals who are allegedly intelligent individuals but they haven't changed a bit since 1968. Sure they may wear suits, have prestigious jobs and appear (and are I suppose) very educated. However I can tell you if you press the right buttons these clowns revert right back to the dirty communist hippies they always were - they just know how to cloak their bullshit.

Hell, I've seen my 60-yea-old uncle who is also a professor throw a fit like a grounded 10-year-old over political issues.

Few truly democratic utopian communes last very long.

I do think that a modifed communal lifestyle is possible.

A modified commmune would include both private property and public benefits, too.

The players would have to buy into that community at the onset to insure that they had a vested interest in the experiement.

If they did things like shared purchasing of food and energy and had shared community resources (like snowploughing, tools, etc, entertainment etc) they might forge a better overall quality of life than they could have as invididuals.

Its a lot of work leeping community going, though, from generation to generation.

I'd be tempted to create such a commune if my land was in a place where such a commune would legal.

That would never last..

The problem isn't with the idea - its with human nature.

Yeah that is exactly the problem, I quite agree.

Hell that's the reason that every type of government and every type of economic system ultimately fails, really, isn't it?

Ultimately bad monkeys like us have enormous difficulty creating and maintaining fair and just (and thriving) societies.

If a commune last twenty years it's been a success.

But one the benefits of communal life make some of its players well off enough, those people typically want to abandon the hard work it takes dealing with and compromising with their neighbors.

STill, communal life can be a good thing, at least for a while, for people seeking to find a decent quality of life and community.

Nothing last forever, folks.

Could you spend the rest of your life in this commune? Why did you just pop in for a visit? Why don't you go back, live there for 10 years, and get back to us?
I was visiting my family who have lived there for 25 years and loves it. They're highly-educated professionals, so we're not talking stinky drug-addled hippies.

I'm related to a bunch of "progressive" professionals who are allegedly intelligent individuals but they haven't changed a bit since 1968. Sure they may wear suits, have prestigious jobs and appear (and are I suppose) very educated. However I can tell you if you press the right buttons these clowns revert right back to the dirty communist hippies they always were - they just know how to cloak their bullshit.

Hell, I've seen my 60-yea-old uncle who is also a professor throw a fit like a grounded 10-year-old over political issues.
Our neighborhood in Malibu is a gated community of 18 homes.........Mostly inhabited by liberal Hollywood types. A couple o' actors, directors, exec's etc.......We also have 4 Pro athletes, a retired NBA coach, and a couple o' conservative business types, and then my family........Needless to say, our yearly block party gets quite interesting. It's so easy to get these elitist lib types frothing at the mouth.......Attack one of their beloved lame issues and it's game on.......They whine like hell, and the hissy fits are friggin' comical.

What they come away looking like in the end, is that they really aren't very smart people. They cannot argue a point beyond obvious spoonfed talking points you hear put out by any lib celebrity on Bill Maher's show.

Our neighborhood in Malibu is a gated community of 18 homes.........Mostly inhabited by liberal Hollywood types. A couple o' actors, directors, exec's etc.......We also have 4 Pro athletes, a retired NBA coach, and a couple o' conservative business types, and then my family........Needless to say, our yearly block party gets quite interesting. It's so easy to get these elitist lib types frothing at the mouth.......Attack one of their beloved lame issues and it's game on.......They whine like hell, and the hissy fits are friggin' comical.

What they come away looking like in the end, is that they really aren't very smart people. They cannot argue a point beyond obvious spoonfed talking points you hear put out by any lib celebrity on Bill Maher's show.

I'm from Lake County Illinois (North Shore) and I know all about it...

Well, I grew up in two different communities - the middle class (when property values peaked upper middle class) but I spent my early years - to at least 0-13 dirt poor and 13-16 was the financial progressive period as a family... Now as an adult I gotta do what they did... I just gotta keep on working even in this economy.

I suppose I witnessed and lived on both side of the tracks and can remember both....

That's why my elitist progressive family members get bent - they know they cant say: "you have no idea about the poor or minorities or other accusations."

When they lose their typical talking points they become confused and start acting like children then they blow their lid - they start screaming and shit stomping their feet.

Some will do that and others will debate you and then just ignore you for years while giving you dirty looks as you get older.

How the fuck can a person who is 35 years older than you despise you so much?

Oh yeah when I was the ages they were in 1968 I was a progressive but now I'm a wise conservative libertarian er classical liberal.

Last edited:
Every attempt ever to create specialized communities like communes or utopias has failed. There's a big ol massive city in the middle of the Brazilian jungle standing testament to this as it falls apart.

Disney tried it making a planned community based on Disneyland, it crashed and burned. If Disney couldn't make it work...:)

Forum List

Back