Commune Living

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
This might shock some of you, given my Libertarian tendencies, but I recently enjoyed the opportunity of living on an old commune in rural California.

And I enjoyed it! Granted, it was an up-scale commune with most of the residents doing business outside of the commune, but the warm community atmosphere was something I found seriously lacking both in our urban centers and suburban sprawl. An excellent environment to raise a family, where you needn't fear letting the kids out at night.

Being the Libertarian I am, there's a business opportunity in creating commercial neighborhoods that mimic the best parts of commune living. Principally, there needs to be the recognition of private property that enables economic growth while also requiring property-owners to contribute and maintain community-owned property. Give everyone a commercial incentive to maintain the grounds, so to speak. I do think some commercial enterprises have built such communities, but not in the Midwest where I live.

Any of you have any experience living on a commune or a housing co-op? What are your experiences?

More like rural areas are.

People in eastern KY did not wait to be rescued during the floods there this year they rescued themselves and others. They did not seek out motels to stay in they stayed in others homes.

Big cities and Urban areas suck and in my opinion create a lot of problems for America.

Is rural England rioting and burning right now?

More like rural areas are.

People in eastern KY did not wait to be rescued during the floods there this year they rescued themselves and others. They did not seek out motels to stay in they stayed in others homes.

Big cities and Urban areas suck and in my opinion create a lot of problems for America.

Is rural England rioting and burning right now?
A very good point. Do you think we can bring these benefits to the city, or does the very nature of high-density living make it hostile to community?

This might shock some of you, given my Libertarian tendencies, but I recently enjoyed the opportunity of living on an old commune in rural California.

And I enjoyed it! Granted, it was an up-scale commune with most of the residents doing business outside of the commune, but the warm community atmosphere was something I found seriously lacking both in our urban centers and suburban sprawl. An excellent environment to raise a family, where you needn't fear letting the kids out at night.

Being the Libertarian I am, there's a business opportunity in creating commercial neighborhoods that mimic the best parts of commune living. Principally, there needs to be the recognition of private property that enables economic growth while also requiring property-owners to contribute and maintain community-owned property. Give everyone a commercial incentive to maintain the grounds, so to speak. I do think some commercial enterprises have built such communities, but not in the Midwest where I live.

Any of you have any experience living on a commune or a housing co-op? What are your experiences?

Could you spend the rest of your life in this commune? Why did you just pop in for a visit?
Why don't you go back, live there for 10 years, and get back to us?

Could you spend the rest of your life in this commune? Why did you just pop in for a visit? Why don't you go back, live there for 10 years, and get back to us?
I was visiting my family who have lived there for 25 years and loves it. They're highly-educated professionals, so we're not talking stinky drug-addled hippies.

Homes on this commune sell for $500k-$1million.

Last edited:
Could you spend the rest of your life in this commune? Why did you just pop in for a visit? Why don't you go back, live there for 10 years, and get back to us?
I was visiting my family who have lived there for 25 years and loves it. They're highly-educated professionals, so we're not talking stinky drug-addled hippies.
So, are they pissed Warren Jeffs will never be coming home?

:eusa_whistle:

We're talking California here...they're elite upper-class liberals, the Ariana Huffington crowd.

I'm probably revealing too much about my background, huh? XD

Last edited:

We're talking California here...they're elite upper-class liberals, the Ariana Huffington crowd.

Yeah, I know the type.........I'm surrounded by a bunch of 'em here in Malibu.......Trust me, they just LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE me.:cool:

Damn hippie!!

This can't be true. The only commune liberals live on is the Democratic plantation supported by welfare!!!

Upper-class elitists ? Do they pay taxes ?

I remember a commune in my community - back in the early 60s - a bunch of hippies, for sure. Was far from upscale. Quite nasty, actually.

Didn't know there were up-scale communes.

stephans farm tenn....way back way back way back

visited...they didnt have doors on the out houses.....all communal and all.....i left....i like doors.....

it was a bunch of hippees but one thing they did do......take in children....if you were considering abortion you could go there....have your child and they would raise the baby.....

I own a Co-op in Manhattan, which is not very communal by the way. At a tenants meeting the issue of expenses was brought up and one guy suggested turning off the power and water in vacant apartments.

Which, was a profoundly stupid idea. I seldom speak at these things but I had to tell him that the pipes would burst and the resulting damage would not only wipe away the "savings" but incur more cost.

murkins call it a condo association which always has a leader, accountant types etc =FUCKED

We have communes here where everyone( individually) hires gardeners-laborers, housekeepers etc.
If you want to build a pool all of the laborers work for you ( paid by their employers) for a few daze then they go to the next guy, build a fence, paint, weed the organic gardens, harvest beans, spray the groves, etc.
It works out pretty well overall.

murkins call it a condo association which always has a leader, accountant types etc =FUCKED

We have communes here where everyone( individually) hires gardeners-laborers, housekeepers etc.
If you want to build a pool all of the laborers work for you ( paid by their employers) for a few daze then they go to the next guy, build a fence, paint, weed the organic gardens, harvest beans, spray the groves, etc.

whooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa back up the short bus here!

you, the murkin caller of the world, lives in a co op? i am not sure commune is the right word?

o man i just lost all respect for ya....all respect (dont fret it wasnt that much to begin with)

whooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaa back up the short bus here!

you, the murkin caller of the world, lives in a co op? i am not sure commune is the right word?

o man i just lost all respect for ya....all respect (dont fret it wasnt that much to begin with)
:lol::lol::lol: Not even close young lady. I have ranches. I don't like neighbors(potential zombies).

Attachments

• $bhouz.jpg
    $bhouz.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 83

Few truly democratic utopian communes last very long.

I do think that a modifed communal lifestyle is possible.

A modified commmune would include both private property and public benefits, too.

The players would have to buy into that community at the onset to insure that they had a vested interest in the experiement.

If they did things like shared purchasing of food and energy and had shared community resources (like snowploughing, tools, etc, entertainment etc) they might forge a better overall quality of life than they could have as invididuals.

Its a lot of work leeping community going, though, from generation to generation.

I'd be tempted to create such a commune if my land was in a place where such a commune would legal.

Damn hippie!!

Hey... "it takes a village."

Forum List

Back