Common Sense vs. The Bible.

PC: As you know, the colonists were religious Christians, and, as you suggest, looked to the Bible for instructions.

Common Sense for the Bible

they were fleeing religious (Bible) persecution and tried their own common sense for something better including a differnt, common sense reading of the Bible - and concluded to separate the gov't from the Church as a Reformation.

PC: As you know, the colonists were religious Christians, and, as you suggest, looked to the Bible for instructions.

Common Sense for the Bible

they were fleeing religious (Bible) persecution and tried their own common sense for something better including a differnt, common sense reading of the Bible - and concluded to separate the gov't from the Church as a Reformation.

I'm not sure what your point is, Breezy....

...but if this is it: "concluded to separate the gov't from the Church as a Reformation,"
I don't recall anyone suggesting we live under a theocracy.

Do you?

If you'd like to discuss the place of religion in the public arena....I'm down wit' dat.

[

Or at least not as insane as murdering a new bride on her wedding night if she wasn't a virgin.

Which is EXACTLY the kind of batshit insanity you find in the bible.

This is the kind of willful blindness with which you excel.

1. The suggestion of killing one who perpetrates a deception was penned some 3000 years ago, in a very different culture and location.

2. I challenge you to find religious people today who follow that dictate.

There was no culture where that was really an acceptable sort of thing. It's a feature of a culture where women are property.

And, um, yeah, there are religious people today who follow that dictate. Maybe you need to look up "Honor Killings"... And they ain't limited to Mulsims.

Fetuses aren't infants... no matter how much you want them to be.. Next.

Really? Was he convicted of rape?

[
Takes the wind out of your sails, doesn't it.

a. Aside from cultural norms, which can change, values of 3000 years ago don't.
If you need a refresher, they are written in the Ten Commandments.

Not really. The first four are largely ignored today, because we have religious pluralism. You can also through out "Thou Shall Not Covet", because we have a whole economic system based on Covetting... The rules on adultery are largely ignored today. Most people have sex before they are married and half of married couples either get divorce and cheat...

So really, right off the bat, six of your commandments are largely ignored today.

But "Thou shall not Murder" is in there, so let's give the Hebrews credit for Western Civilization, even though there were shitloads of people Yahweh wanted killed.

[4. "I'm a product of Catholic Education, Which is why I hate religion with such a passion and hope for the day God goes the way of Zeus and Odin and every other useless fairy tale."

Logic is hardly your strongsuit, is it.
B doesn't follow from A.
You don't seem to have a strongsuit.

Since there are Catholics who do not share your resentments, there must be some other provenance. Something within you, perhaps?

Um, no, it means most of them are too stupid or too scared of what happens after they die to apply reason and logic.

I figured out Catholicism was full of shit when I was 11. Right after the nun said it was okay that God drowned every baby in the world because they were "WIIIIIIIICKED". I shit you not, this crazy old frustrated lesbian got up in front of a group of fifth graders and said this with a straight face.

1. "Fetuses aren't infants... no matter how much you want them to be.. Next."

Infanticide.

Infants.

Left to die.

Your candidate declined to give aid to babies...infants....born as a result of botched abortions.

Not 3000 years ago. Your current candidate. The name is Obama.

Be happy to prove that if you are unaware.

2. "Really? Was he [Bill Clinton] convicted of rape?

Is it your contention that no rapes have occurred unless there was a conviction?

"54% of rapes/sexual assaults are not reported to the police, according to a statistical average of the past 5 years. Those rapists, of course, never spend a day in prison. Factoring in unreported rapes, only about 3% of rapists ever serve a day in jail."
Reporting Rates | RAINN | Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network

Juanita Broaddrick (AR)- rape
Eileen Wellstone (Oxford) - rape
Elizabeth Ward Gracen - rape - quid pro quo, post incident intimidation
Regina Hopper Blakely - "forced himself on her, biting, bruising her"
Kathleen Willey (WH) - sexual assault, intimidations, threats
Sandra Allen James (DC) - sexual assault
22 Year Old 1972 (Yale) - sexual assault
Kathy Bradshaw (AK) - sexual assault
Cristy Zercher - unwelcomed sexual advance, intimidations
Paula Jones (AR) - unwelcomed sexual advance, exposure, bordering on sexual assault
Carolyn Moffet -unwelcomed sexual advance, exposure, bordering on sexual assault
1974 student at University of Arkansas - unwelcomed physical contact
1978-1980 - seven complaints per Arkansas state troopers
Monica Lewinsky - quid pro quo, post incident character assault
Gennifer Flowers - quid pro quo, post incident character assault
Dolly Kyle Browning - post incident character assault
Sally Perdue - post incident threats
Betty Dalton - rebuffed his advances, married to one of his supporters
Denise Reeder - apologetic note scanned
CLINTON'S ROGUES GALLERY:

3. "...most of them are too stupid or too scared of what happens after they die to apply reason and logic."

How many times a day do you wonder out loud 'why am I so lonely?'...and why your favorite cook book is "Vegan Cooking For One"?

4. "Slavery can ONLY exist if society and law supports it."
Really? I suspect that you have an intimate knowledge of whips and chains.

Well, no, I'm not into the BDSM scene.. but the fact you go immediately into a sex reference is telling. For the record, if you are what you claim to be, I do have an Asian fetish, though.

5. "Soceity (sic) for thousands of years condoned slavery.. until people- not religion, not a magic man in the sky- decided it was wrong."
Not true. See the OT for instructions on treating and freeing slaves.

That would be the same bible that said you really couldn't abuse HEBREW slaves, but those pagan slaves, you could abuse the shit out of those poor bastards?

Slavery WAS ALWAYS WRONG. Yet not even Jesus spoke out against it in the New Testament.

Again, Vlad murdered people. Already violates my first rule...

No, humanism is necessary. God isn't. Because if God isn't going to provide clear moral guidance and bitchslap those who kill in his name, he's probably not helping the situation.

Point is, every evil dipshit in history thought God was on his side, from the slaver to Hitler to David Koresh fucking 11 year old girls. And God usually didn't do anything about it. People had to.

9. "Most of our common law and morality actually comes from the Pagans."
Wrong again.
In 528 Tribonian was selected, with John the Cappodocian, to prepare the new imperial legal code, the Codex Juris Civilis, or the Code of Justinian.. Rome had a legal system dating back to the ‘Twelve Tables,’ written in 451 BCE, based on the 6th century BCE work of Solon of Athens. Fifteen centuries later it was called the Civil Law.
Salic law (Lat. Lex Salica) was an important body of traditional law codified for governing the Salian Franks in the early Middle Ages during the reign of King Clovis I in the 6th century.
See "Justinian's Flea," Rosen...one of the best books I've read.

Actually, in terms of civil law, freedom and even capitalism, the Romans were waaaaay ahead of the Abrahamic religions. The "Dark Ages" were the first "Faith Based" iniative.

BTW....the Jews were 10% of the Roman Empire.

Probably not even close to that. And you work on the assumption Christianity is the heir to Judaism.

It takes jsut as much influence from Hellenic Mysticism and Zoroasterism. All that shit about Messiahs and Satan... Pure Zoroasterism.

"....if you are what you claim to be, I do have an Asian fetish, though."

Yikes!!!!

In that case....I'm actually a 400 lb. 30-year-old, living in my parents' basement!!!

And I'm Norwegian!!!

A Norwegian GUY!

Forum List

Back