Common sense might prevail in the filibuster

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
Not perfect, but a lot better than what happens now.

–End the filibuster on motions to proceed (since this amounts to unlimited debate on whether to allow debate at all).

–Make all filibusters on substantive measures “talking” or “Jimmy Stewart” filibusters; Senators much actually stand and hold the floor. (How it works now is senators essentially jutannounce their intention to block proceedings and then go grab a sandwich.)

–When cloture is secured on judicial and other nominees, post-cloture debate is limited to two hours instead of the present 30 (since nominations aren’t subject to the same amendments that bills and other measures are)

–Eliminate secret ‘holds’, requiring senators to attach their names to efforts to block nominees

–Force the majority to allow the minority to offer at least three germane amendments to any bill.

Gulp. I Agree With the Democrats on Filibuster Reform - By Daniel Foster - The Corner - National Review Online

The Plum Line - Here it is: The filibuster reform package!

I agree with all of them.

But there must be something fishy going on, with the proposal, a little hook in the shiny package that we haven't heard about. I just don't trust them an angstrom unit.

I disagree with any and all attempts to end the filibuster. These fuckwads are dangerous. They pass thousands of useless laws every year, most of which they've never even read! If anything we should make it easier to filibuster, not harder.

My suggestion for a new rule: To show that it’s serious, any new bill must be presented along with a member of Congress’s Finger. Stop wasting our fucking time with stupid new laws.

Here's another - Any bill can be blocked by a challenge to a riddle contest.

Last edited:
I have never seen a politician give up power willingly (well, maybe Carter :razz: ) unless there was a payoff for them later on.

–End the filibuster on motions to proceed (since this amounts to unlimited debate on whether to allow debate at all).

–Make all filibusters on substantive measures “talking” or “Jimmy Stewart” filibusters; Senators much actually stand and hold the floor. (How it works now is senators essentially jutannounce their intention to block proceedings and then go grab a sandwich.)

–When cloture is secured on judicial and other nominees, post-cloture debate is limited to two hours instead of the present 30 (since nominations aren’t subject to the same amendments that bills and other measures are)

–Eliminate secret ‘holds’, requiring senators to attach their names to efforts to block nominees

–Force the majority to allow the minority to offer at least three germane amendments to any bill.

Gulp. I Agree With the Democrats on Filibuster Reform - By Daniel Foster - The Corner - National Review Online

Who gets to decide what is Germane?

Works for me

You can still filibuster major legislation you object to but it makes it less convenient to filibuster the routine shit

Forum List

Back