Common sense has died...

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
Mpls star tribune
http://www.startribune.com/stories/468/5524752.html

MINNEAPOLIS - In a few weeks, it will be perfectly legal for a child too young to get a driver's license to drive his 30-pound motorized scooter alongside 3,000 pound cars on streets throughout the state.

The Legislature overwhelmingly passed a bill to legalize the popular scooters as of Aug. 1. Gov. Tim Pawlenty signed the bill into law on June 3.

It came as a surprise to Minneapolis police spokesman Ron Reier. "This was passed? Unbelievable!" he said. "A 12-year-old kid, a 13-year-old kid can operate these in downtown Minneapolis during rush hour?"

The House sponsor of the law, Rep. Mike Beard, R-Shakopee, said those children are already on the streets. "Twelve-year-olds are riding their bicycles there now," he said. "I would see no difference."

Some scooters resemble skateboards with a handle and others look like sophisticated motor scooters. They come in electric and gasoline-powered versions. Some have top speeds of up to 30 mph.

Beard said that as of Aug. 1, the scooters will be banned from sidewalks and will be ridden on the streets just like bicycles.

The law was partially in response to injuries to people on sidewalks, said Sen. Steve Murphy, DFL-Red Wing, Senate author of the legislation. He added that scooters were becoming more popular throughout the state.

"Something had to be done," he said. "We just wanted to make sure that (scooter users) knew that the sidewalk is not an option (and that) the street is a better place, a safer place for everybody involved."

Statistics on the number of the scooters in the state are hard to come by, but the Motorcycle Industry Council reported that scooter sales in the Twin Cities trailed only sales in Los Angeles, Chicago and New York City.

The state doesn't keep injury statistics for scooters.

Before the new law was passed, state government and some cities considered the scooters motor vehicles without safety equipment. The designation effectively restricted their use to private property.

Legislative analyst John Williams said the new law defines motorized scooters as those with either 10-inch or smaller wheels or an engine that can't go faster than 15 miles per hour. However, if a scooter has 10-inch wheels, its driver can go as fast the law allows, he said.

Riders must be at least 12, the law says, and they must wear helmets until they turn 18. Passengers are not allowed and all scooters must have headlights and tail lights.

While the new law tells drivers to stay close to the right curb, they can move away from it to pass vehicles or to avoid parked cars or walkers.

Some experts are skeptical of one provision in the law that requires riders who want to make a left turn to get off their scooters at the right curb and walk them through the intersection.

"Quite realistically, do you think people are going to stop, get off and walk them for a left-hand turn?" asked Dawn Duffy, spokeswoman for the AAA of Minneapolis.

The new law is worrisome to Sgt. Dave Marquart, a safety officer for the Minnesota State Patrol.

"We make 16-year-olds go to classes (to get their driver's licenses), and we just give the 12-year-olds a motor vehicle and let them drive down the road," he said. "I think there will be a lot of people injured or killed."

Nonetheless, the scooters are attractive to many children, including Alex Harristhal of Edina, who likes "all the gadgetry." He plans to hit the streets in February when he turns 12.

"I kind of like going fast," he said.

in response to that article:

The death of common sense

Today we mourn the passing of an old friend, by the name of Common Sense.
Common Sense lived a long life but died in the United States from heart failure on the brink of the new millennium. No one really knows how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape.

He selflessly devoted his life to service in schools, hospitals, homes, factories helping folks get jobs done without fanfare and foolishness.

For decades, petty rules, silly laws, and frivolous lawsuits held no power over Common Sense. He was credited with cultivating such valued lessons as to know when to come in out of the rain, why the early bird gets the worm, and that life isn't always fair. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adults are in charge, not the kids), and it's okay to come in second.

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, and the Technological Revolution, Common Sense survived cultural and educational trends including body piercing, whole language,and "new math." But his health declined when he became infected with the "If-it-only-helps-one-person-it's-worth-it" virus. In recent decades his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of well intentioned but overbearing regulations. He watched in pain as good people became ruled by self-seeking lawyers.

His health rapidly deteriorated when schools endlessly implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of a six-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate, a teen suspended for taking a swig of mouthwash after lunch, and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student only worsened his condition.

It declined even further when schools had to get parental consent to administer aspirin to a student but could not inform the parent when a female student was pregnant or wanted an abortion.

Finally, Common Sense lost his will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, churches became businesses, criminals received better treatment than victims, and federal judges stuck their noses in everything from the Boy Scouts to professional sports.

Finally, when a woman, failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot, was awarded a huge settlement, Common Sense threw in the towel.

As the end neared, Common Sense drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding questionable regulations such as those for low flow toilets, rocking chairs, and stepladders.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust, a daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason. He is survived by two stepbrothers: My Rights, and I Am The Winner. Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was even gone.

"The state doesn't keep injury statistics for scooters."

After this, once they do, they aren't going to like what they see.

Amazing. Ridiculous.

If anything, this will make parents tell their kids they can't have scooters.

GotZoom said:
"The state doesn't keep injury statistics for scooters."

After this, once they do, they aren't going to like what they see.

Amazing. Ridiculous.

If anything, this will make parents tell their kids they can't have scooters.

my neighbor's kid has one, but he's 15, and will be getting his license soon. he rides it only on residential streets, typically to go to friend's homes or to run to mcdonalds or something.

i just can't believe our GOP governor Pawlenty, ok-ed this. our legislature is still majority DFL (which would explain the thinking-or lack thereof-behind it), so i wonder if they slipped something in his coffee.

I can see their point about the sidewalk thing. But I also think that to ride ANY type of wheeled transportation on the road, you should have get a permit or certification on your skills and knowledge of the road. if it is not passed, you just don't get to ride. if you already have a DL, then that passes you automatically.

You can't legally drive a car on roads without a DL, so why not make bikers and now scooter kids, pass a similar test? Half the time, it's the bikers not obeying traffic controls. I think they should prove they know how to obey the laws we drivers have to obey. 3000lb car vs. 20lb scooter in the hands of a kid who can't even get a permit to drive a car yet...

besides, how are we to enforce any laws the kids DO break? because there is no way to track them down. the scooters don't require plates, and the kids have no real identification on them.

i know if and only IF my son were ever to acquire a motorized scooter, either he will only ride it in our neighborhood-no main roads, or i will make him pass a test of my own creation and he must keep grades up, and keep up with chores, etc.

he would also have to earn the $$ to buy the darned thing himself.

EXCELLENT! I wish this state would do that - we tend to outlaw anything 'fun'.

Don't buy into the hype - it's not common sense that's dead, it's personal responsibility.

-=d=- said:
EXCELLENT! I wish this state would do that - we tend to outlaw anything 'fun'.

Don't buy into the hype - it's not common sense that's dead, it's personal responsibility.

but then again..."Common Sense" a oxymoron is only dead in the "Liberal" circle......... :thup:

peeww-scooter.JPG

common sense has been dying for years, so has personal responsibility.
but im guessing when enough kids have been run over by something at least 2000lbs they may change it. besides, those scooters are just making lazy kids lazier. i seen this one barrel assed kid on one not too long ago... it was working over time for sure.

Forum List

Back