"common Sense Gun Laws"

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Throughout these forums I see people calling for the need for "common sense" gun laws. Some have claimed we need to prosecute gun dealers whether they follow the rules or not.

I am curious, what "common sense" gun laws do you think we need to pass and why?

I can see where requiring a safe storage of loaded firearms, in houses where children live or can be reasonably expected to be, might be a good idea. That would cut down on the number of accidental deaths.

What else?

Registration - not as permission to own guns, but as proof of ownership.

Tougher sentencing for offenders who own a stolen and/or unregistered gun (10 years, out in 5 with good behavior; separate charge for each unregistered/stolen weapon), mandated to run consecutively with any other convictions.

This kind of legislation empowers government to fight true gun violence, because laws designed to punish the law-abiding gun owners are counterproductive since criminals will ignore them anyway.

Some have claimed we need to prosecute gun dealers whether they follow the rules or not.

That's just stupid. Are we also going to prosecute retail stores when we get cancer off the cigarettes we buy there?

Throughout these forums I see people calling for the need for "common sense" gun laws. Some have claimed we need to prosecute gun dealers whether they follow the rules or not.

I am curious, what "common sense" gun laws do you think we need to pass and why?

I can see where requiring a safe storage of loaded firearms, in houses where children live or can be reasonably expected to be, might be a good idea. That would cut down on the number of accidental deaths.

What else?

The most important gun law we need to pass... has already passed.

The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed [by the Federal Government].

We need to stop extending the unpatriot act that has been used to turn our police into military units designed around the idea that we are the enemy. We also need to do something about all the innocent civilians our police have been killing. No excuse for shooting a citizen on sight for merely having a bb gun pointing at the ground. I want to see such incidents go to trial. Cops should not be above the law.

Tougher sentencing for offenders who own a stolen and/or unregistered gun (10 years, out in 5 with good behavior; separate charge for each unregistered/stolen weapon), mandated to run consecutively with any other convictions.

This kind of legislation empowers government to fight true gun violence, because laws designed to punish the law-abiding gun owners are counterproductive since criminals will ignore them anyway.
In every single country that created a registry.... the registry was then used to "remove" the registered guns.

In every single country that created a registry.... the registry was then used to "remove" the registered guns.

That's nice. It is also highly irrelevant.

Removing the endless exceptions from the current laws would work well. We don't need more laws, just clean them up and make them precise. As it stands now, the statutes allow for so many precedents that they are neutered, neutralized and meaningless.

But the NRA owns the laws, that's why they are meaningless. Money over human life, that should be their motto.

Registration is the first step to confiscation.

2nd Amendment need only apply.

Moron, registration is not incompatible with the 2nd amendment if it is implemented intelligently.

As I stated, guns should not be registered as if one is applying for permission to own them, but as an informative tool so the government knows "Citizen X has "N" number of guns with these serial numbers".

The reason why is because knowing who owns those guns will make it easier to punish the violent offenders that break into Citizen X's cache and raids their stash. It also gives police a lead on where a stolen gun originated.

Basically, no different from a declaration of valuable items that you'd file with an insurance company.

I spent a long time thinking on this matter, by mainly reading through crime statistics and gun legislation from every country in the world.

My conclusion is that the availability of firearms has nothing to do with the crime rate.

Crime is caused by other factors within society.

So keep your laws as they are.

Moron, registration is not incompatible with the 2nd amendment if it is implemented intelligently.

As I stated, guns should not be registered as if one is applying for permission to own them, but as an informative tool so the government knows "Citizen X has "N" number of guns with these serial numbers".

The reason why is because knowing who owns those guns will make it easier to punish the violent offenders that break into Citizen X's cache and raids their stash. It also gives police a lead on where a stolen gun originated.

In all other countries that have banned guns it has always been the first step. So in regards to the Moron statement you can Kiss this and I don't mean my lips.........A country song BTW.

Why is the real purpose of all prior registries, irrelevant?

Removing the endless exceptions from the current laws would work well. We don't need more laws, just clean them up and make them precise. As it stands now, the statutes allow for so many precedents that they are neutered, neutralized and meaningless.

But the NRA owns the laws, that's why they are meaningless. Money over human life, that should be their motto.
Nonsense.

In all other countries that have banned guns it has always been the first step. So in regards to the Moron statement you can Kiss this and I don't mean my lips.........A country song BTW.

I stand by my assessment of you. Keep your red herring, we are not those countries.

What has the Country come to when "some (left wingers) would say" we need to prosecute innocent people (gun dealers) whether they followed the rules or not? Sadly it's low information hysterical left wingers who are most influenced by propaganda and demand new laws when they are ignorant of the laws already on the books.

Why is the real purpose of all prior registries, irrelevant?

Because we don't live in those countries.

I stand by my assessment of you. Keep your red herring, we are not those countries.

Forum List

Back