"Common Sense" Gun Control

Let me ask you people something.

How many background checks do you want.

If I pass my checks for my concealed carry permit is that enough for you?

If it is I should be able to walk into any gun store and buy whatever I want right?

Is it a picture ID?

No, I don't want you buying an RPG or a Ma Deuce or a box of Claymores.

And just where do they sell those things?

They don't, which is the point. We've already accepted that some weapons should not be available to just anyone who wants them and few would argue with that.

All we're doing now is debating how much further we'll go with that, which is a reasonable and proper discussion in a democracy and under a government of self rule.

Once you agree that some weapons should not be legal, then you have no ground to claim YOUR favorite ones should be immune.

The line has to be drawn somewhere no?

If a stand is not taken then all guns will be illegal.

[youtube]jyDbfCbQnH8[/youtube]

When you can prevent violence I'll give up my guns. Until then I will support the free access to weapons.

Will you also give up your car until someone can guarantee you won't be killed by a drunk driver? Why not?

No one is talking about banning cars are they?

And if you think that the car argument doesn't apply to guns then why are you using it?

Besides I can limit my exposure to drunk drivers by not driving at times when most drunk drivers are arrested. i cannot limit my exposure to people who might break into my home or business now can I?

Last edited:
The line has to be drawn somewhere no?

That's right. That's all this hubbub is about...where to draw the line. Be willing to accept, though, that the line is never permanent.

If a stand is not taken then all guns will be illegal.

[youtube]jyDbfCbQnH8[/youtube]

Ridiculous hyperbole and unfounded sensationalism. That won't happen, in fact CAN'T happen, without a Constitutional amendment and that's not gonna happen any time soon.

Riddle me this:

How would have denying Adam Lanza the right to buy guns because he was mentally ill stopped Sandy Hook?

He did not buy the guns he stole them from his mother.

So tell me do we have to have psych evals for every person living in every home and every person who might visit that home if a sane person living there wants a weapon to protect himself?

There is legislation requiring guns be locked away from people with mental problems.

People with mental problems show up on their own and demonstrate it to people. It's ridiculous to bring up searching to find them. It should be common sense to prevent access to firearms, if someone is showing signs of mental illness.

How did this stop Adam Lanza?

Do you mean how could it have? That's just an opinion poll on some issues.

Do you believe those are the only proposals and there aren't all kinds of proposals requiring that access to guns be denied by the mentally ill?

Adam Lanza wasn't only unnecessary violence happening in America. America has had enough.

I've explained why you are irrational. Does your brain wonder why they are talking about limiting magazine sizes? Crazy people always think others are crazy.

I stated many of the things that would be good changes. I don't want a ban on assault weapons, I just want them registered with periodic renewal to prevent them getting into the wrong hands.

I want the laws to assist law enforcement passed. I don't care if gun shops sell less guns as a result. I want the security around gun purchasing tightened enough so we can get the guns out of the hands of street gangs in our major cities. I don't want an open market for guns in America where they can supply the Drug Cartels in Mexico or street gangs.

There is a whole list, but I basically want common sense law to prevent violence, but still allow law abiding citizens to have their guns.

When you can prevent violence I'll give up my guns. Until then I will support the free access to weapons.

The easy access to weapons is creating the violence. The open market needs to be shut down. It can be done in ways that honest citizens can still purchase their weapons.

People create violence not weapons.

People were violent before there were guns and they will be violent if guns are taken away.

That is even more reason to have a weapon because if weapons are banned then 2 or 3 people can over power one unarmed man where one man with a weapon can hold them off.

And if you think that the car argument doesn't apply to guns then why are you using it?

Some cars have already been banned. Ford Pinto's and Chevrolet Corvairs come readily to mind.

No, nobody but the ultra-tree huggers are talking about banning ALL cars, but some cars have been made illegal. Similarly, nobody but the ultra-gun grabbers are talking about banning all guns, so the discussion is the same as with cars: which ones and under what criteria.

Yet, I don't see you holding out for your right to drive an unsafe car. Why not?

Some cars have already been banned. Ford Pinto's and Chevrolet Corvairs come readily to mind.

No, nobody but the ultra-tree huggers are talking about banning ALL cars, but some cars have been made illegal. Similarly, nobody but the ultra-gun grabbers are talking about banning all guns, so the discussion is the same as with cars: which ones and under what criteria.

Yet, I don't see you holding out for your right to drive an unsafe car. Why not?

I have a right to drive an unsafe car if I want to. I choose not to. Now car makers do not have the right to sell an unsafe car.

I do not own any unsafe weapons either. They are all very reliable and will not harm me if I use them

And BTW the cars were not banned per say. If the makers wanted to address the design flaws they could have they just chose not to because of the expense and the degradation of the brand.

Last edited:
Riddle me this:

How would have denying Adam Lanza the right to buy guns because he was mentally ill stopped Sandy Hook?

He did not buy the guns he stole them from his mother.

So tell me do we have to have psych evals for every person living in every home and every person who might visit that home if a sane person living there wants a weapon to protect himself?

There is legislation requiring guns be locked away from people with mental problems.

People with mental problems show up on their own and demonstrate it to people. It's ridiculous to bring up searching to find them. It should be common sense to prevent access to firearms, if someone is showing signs of mental illness.

And how is that legislation going to stop crazy people from getting guns?

It's unenforceable.

It should be common sense that's about as meaningful as saying we should all just be nice to each other and about as fucking likely.

I'll say it again.

When you can guarantee me with absolute certainty that no one will ever try to break into my house or business or attempt to physically assault me or my wife then and only then will I give up my weapons or my right to buy whatever weapon I want.

Let me know when that happens OK?

I don't care if you have your guns or not and I don't care if it makes it a little harder to buy your next one.

We are looking for solutions to the violence in America and if the NRA or you don't want to be involved, then don't be involved.

So what if we make a bunch of changes and absolutely no good comes out of it. What is it to you?

The easy access to weapons is creating the violence. The open market needs to be shut down. It can be done in ways that honest citizens can still purchase their weapons.

People were violent before there were guns and they will be violent if guns are taken away.

That is even more reason to have a weapon because if weapons are banned then 2 or 3 people can over power one unarmed man where one man with a weapon can hold them off.

Then they can create it without a gun.

And how is that legislation going to stop crazy people from getting guns?

It's unenforceable.

It should be common sense that's about as meaningful as saying we should all just be nice to each other and about as fucking likely.

I'll say it again.

When you can guarantee me with absolute certainty that no one will ever try to break into my house or business or attempt to physically assault me or my wife then and only then will I give up my weapons or my right to buy whatever weapon I want.

Let me know when that happens OK?

I don't care if you have your guns or not and I don't care if it makes it a little harder to buy your next one.

We are looking for solutions to the violence in America and if the NRA or you don't want to be involved, then don't be involved.

So what if we make a bunch of changes and absolutely no good comes out of it. What is it to you?

Keeping law abiding people from buying weapons will not decrease violence.

I don't give a flying fuck what the NRA says or does.

All I want is for you fucking control freaks to leave me alone and not interfere with the protection of my wife, my home and my business.

If I want a so called assault rifle with a 1 million round magazine to do that it's none of your fucking business.

BTW that was hyperbole and intentional.

You know as well as I do that all this so called gun control to prevent violence is just another incremental loss of our rights to live as we choose.

If you choose not to own weapons then good for you. I however do not trust people as far as I can throw them and I will opt to protect myself, my wife and my property as I see fit.

I have a right to drive an unsafe car if I want to.

Only if you're willing to accept the consequences: fines, impoundment, "fix it" ticket, lawsuit if you hurt someone.

Now car makers do not have the right to sell an unsafe car.

Isn't that a curtailment of their rights?

I do not own any unsafe weapons either. They are all very reliable and will not harm me if I use them

But, they can hurt someone else, even if accidentally.

And BTW the cars were not banned per say. If the makers wanted to address the design flaws they could have they just chose not to because of the expense and the degradation of the brand.

Weapons manufacturer's could do the same thing. The makers of an AK-47 or an AR-15 could eliminate the things which legally make it an "assault weapon," without materially affecting its usefulness.

If you choose not to own weapons then good for you. I however do not trust people as far as I can throw them and I will opt to protect myself, my wife and my property as I see fit.

Will you allow me the same freedom if I lived right next door to you and you KNEW I wasn't right in the head?

Then they can create it without a gun.

I just said that didn't I ?

people are violent guns are not. guns do not cause violence people do.

I have owned guns since I got an air rifle when I was 6 or 7 and I own several now and I have never once committed an act of violence with or without a gun. Now can you guarantee me that no one will ever commit or attempt to commit an act of violence against me or my wife?

Will you allow me the same freedom if I lived right next door to you and you KNEW I wasn't right in the head?

There is no way for me to know if you are not right in the head.

There is no way for me to know if you are not right in the head.

Come on. Don't evade. You've known people you wouldn't want living right next door and armed to the teeth. So have I. So has anyone.

Why shouldn't that person have the same right to own any weapon he likes, in any quantity, the same as you?

I have a right to drive an unsafe car if I want to.

Only if you're willing to accept the consequences: fines, impoundment, "fix it" ticket, lawsuit if you hurt someone.

A responsible person accepts the consequences of everything he does.

Now car makers do not have the right to sell an unsafe car.

Isn't that a curtailment of their rights?

Not at all. Just like no one has the right to sell poisoned food to the public.

But, they can hurt someone else, even if accidentally.

The weapon itself cannot hurt anyone else. The person wielding the weapon can injure himself and I have never accidentally shot anything in all the years I have owned firearms.

Weapons manufacturer's could do the same thing. The makers of an AK-47 or an AR-15 could eliminate the things which legally make it an "assault weapon," without materially affecting its usefulness.
[/quote]

Any AR15 available for public purchase is nothing more than a semiautomatic rifle.

So tell me what makes it an "assault" rifle?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back