Common Sense from a French Poodle?

onedomino

SCE to AUX
Sep 14, 2004
http://newsisyphus.blogspot.com/ (you might have to scroll down the page to see the article)

BRUSSELS - Iran may yet be persuaded to curb its nuclear plans -- but only because diplomatic efforts are backed by the threat of US military action, Belgian Foreign Minister Karel De Gucht was quoted as saying on Monday.

“I think the negotiations have a serious chance of succeeding but only because of the American threat,” De Gucht told Belgian daily De Morgen. “Those talks only have a chance if you maintain a strategy of sticks and carrots. And we have to be willing to admit that the United States are the stick.”

Iran will be high on the agenda during US President George W. Bush’s visit to Europe this week. The five-day trip aims to foster a friendly atmosphere early in his second term and deal with problems including Iran, Syria and NATO’s future.Europe and the United States are divided on the debate over Iran’s nuclear programme, which Tehran insists is for power generation but which Washington says is aimed at building a nuclear weapon.

The European Union, led by France, Germany and Britain, has offered trade and political benefits if Iran gives up uranium enrichment, and believes it would bolster the EU’s leverage if the United States got involved in the bargaining.

“We should not believe that the Iranians only want to use their nuclear technology for civilian purposes. The country wants an atomic bomb,” De Gucht said.

Belgium in 2003 strongly opposed the US-led invasion in Iraq.

“Iran will have to give in or there will be big trouble. The United States will never accept Iran possessing a nuclear bomb. Never,” De Gucht added. “Iran possessing a nuclear bomb would be a very destabilising element in the Middle East.”
-

Last paragraph of article: he got that entirely right except that it would not only be a destablizing element for the Middle East but for the entire globe. Nuclear weapons in the hands of those religious radicals in Iran would be about the same as the terrorists getting their hands on Pakistan's nuclear arsenal.

Adam's Apple said:
Last paragraph of article: he got that entirely right except that it would not only be a destablizing element for the Middle East but for the entire globe. Nuclear weapons in the hands of those religious radicals in Iran would be about the same as the terrorists getting their hands on Pakistan's nuclear arsenal.

Yah, but remember that to the Euros, Isreal is the reason violence and war continues to exist as a way of life in Muslim society. He's referring the the destabilization of the balance of power between the Jews, who have nukes, and their enemies, who still don't. I think he still ignores the fact that the West was the target of 9-11, not the Jews. So he's still behind the curve.

But better, Europe! Learn faster, please.

Comrade said:
Yah, but remember that to the Euros, Isreal is the reason violence and war continues to exist as a way of life in Muslim society. He's referring the the destabilization of the balance of power between the Jews, who have nukes, and their enemies, who still don't. I think he still ignores the fact that the West was the target of 9-11, not the Jews. So he's still behind the curve.

But better, Europe! Learn faster, please.

I don't know why you're saying that to us "Europeans" Israel is the reason violence and war continues to exist as a way of life in Muslim society...I don't see it that way. Israel is half the reason for the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, but to say we blame them for the violence and war in the middle east is far stretched...

Also, why should Israel be alowed to have the nuclear bomb? I've always been wondering this...isn't this seen as a threat from the rest of the arab countries in the region??? I mean how can we justify Isreal having one from other countries in the region, apart from the so called democratic state is it supposed to be?
Just woundering...what are your views on this?

j07950 said:
I don't know why you're saying that to us "Europeans" Israel is the reason violence and war continues to exist as a way of life in Muslim society...I don't see it that way. Israel is half the reason for the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, but to say we blame them for the violence and war in the middle east is far stretched...

Also, why should Israel be alowed to have the nuclear bomb? I've always been wondering this...isn't this seen as a threat from the rest of the arab countries in the region??? I mean how can we justify Isreal having one from other countries in the region, apart from the so called democratic state is it supposed to be?

Maybe because the Isrealis don't have a very large track record of supporting terrorism, opressing their own citizens, bragging about how many infidels they can slay, or dancing in the streets on 9/11. That is something that cannot be said about most countries down there.

theim said:
Maybe because the Isrealis don't have a very large track record of supporting terrorism, opressing their own citizens, bragging about how many infidels they can slay, or dancing in the streets on 9/11. That is something that cannot be said about most countries down there.
I totally agree but don't you think it's seen as a threat in the middle east, thus making it a problem...Why are countries in the middle east trying to get nuclear weapons? I bet part of it has to do with Israel having it...

j07950 said:
I don't know why you're saying that to us "Europeans" Israel is the reason violence and war continues to exist as a way of life in Muslim society...I don't see it that way.

According to the polls then, you are in the minority.

Israel is half the reason for the Israeli/Palestinian conflict, but to say we blame them for the violence and war in the middle east is far stretched...

EU Poll names ISRAEL top Threat to Peace

http://marc.perkel.com/archives/000077.html

Also, why should Israel be alowed to have the nuclear bomb?

Nobody 'allowed' them to have it. And you're not going to be able to take it away from them either. I assume your motive is to ensure peace in the region, and knowing that the chances of an invasion of Isreal by conventional forces is now out of the minds of its hostile neighbors, the nuclear weapons in Isreal's inventory achieve that goal.

I've always been wondering this...isn't this seen as a threat from the rest of the arab countries in the region???

Arab countries consider them a threat whether or not they have nuclear weapons. The reality is, Isreal does not plan on using its nuclear weapons in a war of aggression, and has already demonstrated this as fact.

Arab leaders have publically stated they would use any nuclear capability to destory Isreal. I tend to believe them, especially since 9-11.

I mean how can we justify Isreal having one from other countries in the region, apart from the so called democratic state is it supposed to be?

'So called' Democratic state? In my book, Democracies are allowed to have nuclear weapons, and tyrannical states aren't. That should be simple enough to justify.

Forum List

Back