Common Sense Crime Prevention... or "How best to organize your community"

Silly argument.

The purpose of cars is to transport people from place to place.

The purpose of guns is to kill.

Not silly at all. The purpose of an automobile or a firearm is whatever the user intends it to be. The similarities are equally obvious. Neither auto or gun can kill unless it is under the control of someone.

Not silly at all. The purpose of an automobile or a firearm is whatever the user intends it to be. The similarities are equally obvious. Neither auto or gun can kill unless it is under the control of someone.

Guns serve no useful purpose.

Cars are something millions of people use everyday.

The Japanese have had only a few thousand gun deaths since 1960, we have had over 1,000,000.

Are the Japanese smarter than us?

Guns serve no useful purpose. Sure they do. Hunting and Self Defense come to mind.

Cars are something millions of people use everyday. And, as demonstrated earlier, they have killed more people in less time.

The Japanese have had only a few thousand gun deaths since 1960, we have had over 1,000,000. So, does this have a relevant point?

Are the Japanese smarter than us? Perhaps they are simply not good shots.

If you don't wish to own or use a gun, then don't. But, your personal decision is no basis for attempting to limit my freedom of choice in that regard. If you begin to outlaw inanimate objects that cause harm then you will rapidly deplete the list of cool toys to play with. Starting with cars ....

The thread is about crime. I hope you are not placing crime prevention on the backs of cops. The police exist to serve and protect society as a whole. They are not your or mine personal security detachment. That is your job.

If you don't wish to own or use a gun, then don't. But, your personal decision is no basis for attempting to limit my freedom of choice in that regard. If you begin to outlaw inanimate objects that cause harm then you will rapidly deplete the list of cool toys to play with. Starting with cars ....

The thread is about crime. I hope you are not placing crime prevention on the backs of cops. The police exist to serve and protect society as a whole. They are not your or mine personal security detachment. That is your job.

No one is going to limit your freedom to kill.

You need not worry about that.

Americans love killing. They celebrate it constantly.

The more the blood flows, the better.

If you want to prevent crime try tough sentencing laws.

There are no thieves in Saudi Arabia.

No one is going to limit your freedom to kill.

You need not worry about that.

Americans love killing. They celebrate it constantly.

The more the blood flows, the better.

And this has what to do with the topic at hand?

If you want to prevent crime try tough sentencing laws.

There are no thieves in Saudi Arabia.

I can agree with that. I also like Singapore. Very clean, and nearly vandal free.

And this has what to do with the topic at hand?

I can agree with that. I also like Singapore. Very clean, and nearly vandal free.

Guns don't prevent crime, they just make the crime that happens more lethal.

And yes, other countries do a lot of things better than we do, especially regulating guns and providing healthcare.

Interesting that the needless deaths of 1,000,000 Americans draws no empathy from the gun lovers.

Which goes back to studies that show that conservatives have less empathy and more fear.

If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say we have less fear because we have more guns. :lol:

No you are afraid of the world, so you have to have guns and invade countries that are no threat to you.

Which country was it that I invaded again? There've been so many I can barely keep up these days. I must be 'invading countries' in my sleep again. I just can't remember. Do you suppose I'm having some sort of country-invading black-out??? :eusa_eh:

p.s. I'm buying MORE GUNS too. And I'm gonna name one after you, just so I won't be "afraid" anymore. It'll be my little gun-woobie. :lol:

Which country was it that I invaded again? There've been so many I can barely keep up these days. I must be 'invading countries' in my sleep again. I just can't remember. Do you suppose I'm having some sort of country-invading black-out??? :eusa_eh:

p.s. I'm buying MORE GUNS too. And I'm gonna name one after you, just so I won't be "afraid" anymore. It'll be my little gun-woobie. :lol:

Good luck.

People who own guns are much more likely to have a family member die of a gun death.

For every self-defense use of a firearm in the home, there are 11 suicides, 7 homicides and 4 unintentional shootings. -Journal of Trauma, August, 1998

Instead of conferring protection, keeping a gun in the home is associated with an increased risk of both suicide and homicide.

-Archives of Internal Medicine, 1997

Among high-income countries, where firearms are more available, more women are homicide victims. Women n the U.S. are at a higher risk of homicide victimization than are women in any other high-income country.

-Journal of American Medical Women's Association, 2002

A disproportionately high number of 5-14 year olds died from suicide, homicide and unintentional firearm deaths in states and regions where guns were more prevalent.

-Journal of Trauma, February, 2002

States with the highest levels of gun ownership had, on average, 9 times the rate of unintentional firearm deaths compared to states with lowest gun levels.

-Accid Anal Prev, July 2001

Between 1988 and 1997, the suicide, homicide, and unintentional firearm death rates among women were disproportionately higher in states where guns were more prevalent.

-Journal of Urban Health, March, 2002

In the United States, regions with higher levels of household handgun ownership have higher suicide rates.

-Injury Prevention, February, 2002

Reducing the aggregate level of gun availability may decrease the risk of firearm-related deaths.

-Social Science Medicine, May 1998

To the extent that homicide frequently occurs spontaneously among young men in public places, it's the carrying of firearms, rather than their ownership, that is the immediate proximate cause of criminal injury.

- Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 1980

Citizens For A Safer Minnesota -- More Guns = More Gun Death and Injury

Guns don't prevent crime, they just make the crime that happens more lethal. I never said guns prevent crime did I?

And yes, other countries do a lot of things better than we do, especially regulating guns and providing healthcare. Interesting that the Constitution specifically protects one and is silent on the other.

:eusa_boohoo:

Imagine a preventable disease that kills 35,000 and injures another 100,000 each year in the US. Suppose the costs associated with the disease surpass $20 billion annually, and that more than one-fourth of those who succumb to it are 15-24 years old. Next, consider that the agent of this disease is a consumer product that lacks a comprehensive national monitoring system or regulation by any federal safety organization. The medical community would consider it a moral imperative to address such a calamity, and would not hesitate to intervene. Yet most doctors do not even talk to their patients about firearm injury.
The Size of the Problem
Firearms are second only to motor vehicles as instruments of death in the US. In 1995, approximately 100,000 people were treated in US hospital emergency rooms for firearm injuries and 36,000 people died from firearm injuries. Gun-related death in the US is eight times higher than in other developed countries around the world,[1] and children under 15 in this country die of gunshot wounds at a rate 12 times greater than that of children from 25 other industrialized countries.[1] Firearms are associated with 70% of homicides and over 50% of suicides. Each year, approximately 1400 deaths are caused by unintentional firearm-related injuries. The cost of this bloodshed has been estimated at over $20 billion.[2]
Prevalence of Guns in the US
Americans own approximately 200 million guns.[3] Over one-third of US households have one or more firearms, and 32% of families with children have handguns at home.[3] Among gun owners with children in the home, 30% reported that they sometimes or always maintain a loaded gun.[4] More than half of all gun owners do not lock up their firearms. Handguns, which constitute about one-third of all firearms in the US, have been linked to 70%-90% of fatal firearm injuries.[5] One reason may be that handguns are about five times more likely to be kept loaded compared to other firearms.[3] Having a loaded gun, an unlocked gun, or multiple guns in the home significantly increases the risk of death from firearms among people living in the household.[6-9]

The Hazards of Owning a Gun
A common reason for gun ownership is personal and family protection. However, firearms are rarely used for this purpose.[10] A five-year study from the National Crime Victimization Survey found that people used guns in self-defense in fewer than 1% of all violent crimes.[11] Guns kept in the home for protection are much more likely to result in the death of a friend, family member, or neighbor. Only 15% of homicides occur during felonies such as robbery, burglary, or drug-trafficking, whereas more than half are the result of an argument between two people who know each other.[12] In addition, having a gun in the home increases the risk of homicide three fold and suicide five fold.[6-8, 13-15] Handguns specifically pose a higher risk of suicide and homicide than long guns.[6,7,9]

For every self-defense use of a firearm in the home, there are 11 suicides, 7 homicides and 4 unintentional shootings. -Journal of Trauma, August, 1998

Instead of conferring protection, keeping a gun in the home is associated with an increased risk of both suicide and homicide.

-Archives of Internal Medicine, 1997

Among high-income countries, where firearms are more available, more women are homicide victims. Women n the U.S. are at a higher risk of homicide victimization than are women in any other high-income country.

-Journal of American Medical Women's Association, 2002

A disproportionately high number of 5-14 year olds died from suicide, homicide and unintentional firearm deaths in states and regions where guns were more prevalent.

-Journal of Trauma, February, 2002

States with the highest levels of gun ownership had, on average, 9 times the rate of unintentional firearm deaths compared to states with lowest gun levels.

-Accid Anal Prev, July 2001

Between 1988 and 1997, the suicide, homicide, and unintentional firearm death rates among women were disproportionately higher in states where guns were more prevalent.

-Journal of Urban Health, March, 2002

In the United States, regions with higher levels of household handgun ownership have higher suicide rates.

-Injury Prevention, February, 2002

Reducing the aggregate level of gun availability may decrease the risk of firearm-related deaths.

-Social Science Medicine, May 1998

To the extent that homicide frequently occurs spontaneously among young men in public places, it's the carrying of firearms, rather than their ownership, that is the immediate proximate cause of criminal injury.

- Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science, 1980

Citizens For A Safer Minnesota -- More Guns = More Gun Death and Injury
none of which supports your claim

none of which supports your claim

The Hazards of Owning a Gun
A common reason for gun ownership is personal and family protection. However, firearms are rarely used for this purpose.[10] A five-year study from the National Crime Victimization Survey found that people used guns in self-defense in fewer than 1% of all violent crimes.[11] Guns kept in the home for protection are much more likely to result in the death of a friend, family member, or neighbor. Only 15% of homicides occur during felonies such as robbery, burglary, or drug-trafficking, whereas more than half are the result of an argument between two people who know each other.[12] In addition, having a gun in the home increases the risk of homicide three fold and suicide five fold.[6-8, 13-15] Handguns specifically pose a higher risk of suicide and homicide than long guns.[6,7,9]

Forum List

Back