Common Mistake In Uncommon Times

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I saw the stories and wondered how to write it. This is done well. The problem here is worse than the NAFTA problem, Russia is waiting and certainly going to be testing. Their first move would be against Poland if they think it's doable, they now have reason. Those of you who've said, "He's not president yet, well the calls coming from abroad now are not to GW, but to Barack Obama:

Power Line - The Importance of Being Careful

THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING CAREFUL
PrintNovember 9, 2008 Posted by John at 10:04 AM

The only news Barack Obama made in his first post-election press conference was when, in a classless moment, he falsely ridiculed Nancy Reagan for holding "seances" in the White House. He was then compelled to call her to apologize for what he termed his "careless remark."

It appears that Obama may have been careless again yesterday, with international consequences. He spoke with the President of Poland, Lech Kaczynski, on the telephone. Afterward, Kaczynski wrote that Obama "said that the missile-defense project would continue." The Obama camp then released a statement to the effect that Obama had said no such thing: "President Kaczynski raised missile defense but President-elect Obama made no commitment on it."

It's possible that President Kaczynski deliberately misquoted Obama, but that seems highly unlikely. It's much more probable that Obama indulged in his usual ambiguity, failed to choose his words carefully, and thereby conveyed a misleading impression.

Obama thinks he is a good talker, but he is often undisciplined when he speaks. He needs to understand that as President, his words will be scrutinized and will have impact whether he intends it or not. In this regard, President Bush is an excellent model; Obama should take a lesson from his example. Bush never gets sloppy when he is speaking publicly. He chooses his words with care and precision, which is why his style sometimes seems halting. In the eight years he has been President, it is remarkable how few gaffes or verbal blunders he has committed. If Obama doesn't raise his standards, he will exceed Bush's total before he is inaugurated.

I saw the stories and wondered how to write it. This is done well. The problem here is worse than the NAFTA problem, Russia is waiting and certainly going to be testing. Their first move would be against Poland if they think it's doable, they now have reason. Those of you who've said, "He's not president yet, well the calls coming from abroad now are not to GW, but to Barack Obama:

oops! and oops!

don't you wish Nancy and Nancy could close their eyes? They spook the hell outta me.

Actually it was Hillary that talked to the dead (Mrs. Roosevelt).

..... Russia is waiting and certainly going to be testing. Their first move would be against Poland if they think it's doable, they now have reason....snip

Please get a hold of yourself. Russia is not going to invade Poland.

They're not that stupid. They make seek to leverage their diplomatic and economic power to influence nation-states they consider in their sphere of influence. But rolling into Warsaw on the backs of tanks is not something they're going to do, nor does it serve their interests.

Seriously, calm down. I'm just now getting over the shock of Neocons and republicans calling for war with russia over a minor border dispute in Georgia. I will bet you a months salary that four years from now, there aren't going to be russian tanks sitting in downtown Warsaw.

Hope you are right, fear you are wrong. I don't bet, certainly not on something bad happening.

They're not that stupid. They make seek to leverage their diplomatic and economic power to influence nation-states they consider in their sphere of influence. But rolling into Warsaw on the backs of tanks is not something they're going to do, nor does it serve their interests.

Seriously, calm down. I'm just now getting over the shock of Neocons and republicans calling for war with russia over a minor border dispute in Georgia. I will bet you a months salary that four years from now, there aren't going to be russian tanks sitting in downtown Warsaw.

December 6th, 1941 the very idea that Japan would attack the US was scoffed at by people like you.

THAT worked out rather well didn't it? For the Japanese, anyway.

December 6th, 1941 the very idea that Japan would attack the US was scoffed at by people like you.

THAT worked out rather well didn't it? For the Japanese, anyway.

Nobody ever wants to talk about December 7, 1941 do they? No, they don't. They just like to demonize us for bombing the crap out of Japan. We are so evil.

Hope you are right, fear you are wrong. I don't bet, certainly not on something bad happening.

My track record is better than yours.

I said Iraq wasn't an urgent threat to the United States, and Iraq had no plans or intentions of aiding al qaeda attack us.

I suspect you were among the 50 million two time bush voters who were cringing in fear and demanding we invade Iraq.

I said Iraq wasn't an urgent threat to the United States, and Iraq had no plans or intentions of aiding al qaeda attack us.

I suspect you were among the 50 million two time bush voters who were cringing in fear and demanding we invade Iraq.

You have no track record.

Iraq was invaded during Bush's first term. I don't recall anyone cringing in fear nor demanding we invade Iraq.

Revise history much, do you?

You haven't a clue to what I believe. I respond politely, you rave. :cuckoo:

Forum List

Back