Common Ground

Where is the common ground between Yes/No?

And just in case you failed to notice, there is no "maybe" in that choice range.

Agreed. MOST issues are black and white. I loathe 'grey areas'. Truth is never grey.
The thickness of the grey line is all in how close you push the edge to your eyeball, or what magnification your microscope is at.

Actually when it Comes to Politics and the Rhetoric both sides put out, the truth is indeed grey. It is almost always somewhere right between the Lies Both sides tell.

Is there any?

I think there is.

How's about we discuss that for a change?

There is. I agree with conservatives who feel the individual mandate is not the right way to approach health care reform. But with the current political climate, and the perimeters of the law that was passed, it was the only way to go.

NO it's not. If Romney, a Moderate Republican wins, there might just exist the Climate for real Compromise and a Solution that will actually work.

Where is the common ground between Yes/No?

And just in case you failed to notice, there is no "maybe" in that choice range.

Agreed. MOST issues are black and white. I loathe 'grey areas'. Truth is never grey.
The thickness of the grey line is all in how close you push the edge to your eyeball, or what magnification your microscope is at.

Or educating yourself on issues, acting upon them no matter how it may affect yourself, and being logical enough to admit it. 'manning up' can be painful...but the truth also knows no pain if you're honest not only with others but yourself.

Actually when it Comes to Politics and the Rhetoric both sides put out, the truth is indeed grey. It is almost always somewhere right between the Lies Both sides tell.

Truth is never grey...only one's perspective as it relates to themselves.

Common ground? Not much to be had these days. I think that there's very few people that care fir non-productive folks. I think liberals have a higher tolerance towards them, but I think everyone agrees that people who game the system hurts not only our pocketbooks, but they hurt their own image....they go from people being down on their luck to the stigmatism of being a deadbeat. Then angry people come up with broad generalizations of big screen TVs, Mercedes Benz's in their HUD approved driveways, and other ridiculous bullshit.

The truth is, the vast majority of folks on welfare are short termers who truly are down on their luck. But the few that do game the system fuck it up for the rest.

What I would like to see is a reinstatement of entities like the WPA and CCC. Our infrastructure sucks, we have lots of people who need work...sounds like a match made in heaven to me...let people on the public dime do public works projects....

A. Shit will get fixed
B. It will put idle people to work.
C. Taxpayers will get a return on their investment.

Let's take a closer look at B for a second. There are people who haven't worked for a long time...they would get marketable skills, work experience, and up to date references that will help them break out of the cycle of dependency....speaking of dependency....addicts should be treated as people with a deadly, but treatable medical issue....not as scumbags. Sure, they fucked up by getting involved with the stuff...but we've all fucked up to one extent or another....my opinion on this has changed over the years...because of a personal experience.

I don't want to bore you with the details...but I was medically mishandled by our family doctor when I blew out my back. I was on Narcotic pain meds for over two years....my dosages increased as my body became used to them. Needless to say, I became physically dependent on opiates...withdrawals suck and I can understand why addicts do the shit they do to avoid getting sick. I have a friend who is an alcoholic who struggles all the time maintaining sobriety....alcohol is even worse than opiates....the withdrawals from alcohol can kill you...many have to be admitted, put on an alcohol IV drip and get weaned off. Fortunately for me, it was never about chasing a high....it was about keeping my pain under control...after I had my back fused, once I went through the initial withdrawal, I was fine. I even had a small bowel obstruction where I needed IV morphine to control the pain and suffered no ill effects. But true addicts not only have the physical dependency, but also the psychological.

Ispent a lot of time talking about addiction because it's a pariah in our society and is a significant factor of some people being perpetually on assistance.

I know, another long winded post by Steelplate....sorry

There is plenty of common ground and it would not be so difficult to see if we could just get the doggone politicians and their parties out of the way.

As a pro-life individual, I have come to realize that there is a lot of common ground between myself and those who are pro-choice. Neither side wants to see more abortions. The other side, the pro-choice side, simply believe government should keep the hell out of other people's business. As someone who generally prefers less government involvement, I can understand their point there.

Sorry, I'm sure you don't want this to become an abortion thread.

Yes, there is plenty of common ground... unfortunately so many on both sides are blinded by party loyalty to see it.

Immie

I don't care if the thread leads to a discussion about abortion.....as long ad we establish that nobody is in favor of increasing the number of abortions.

That would be common ground. Nobody wants more abortions. Common ground.

But that is not true. Lefties want more access to more Abortions and support things like Sex Selection late Term Abortions, and Oppose any Measure that might curtail the Number of Abortions, or Heaven Forbid have the people getting them stop and think for a min before they do.

Where is the Common Ground?

Der de der der der

missb52to48.jpg

What a great thought..talking about what we agree on!

I'll start. I believe we need to spend our tax dollars in the best way we can for the good of the nation and cut back waste. I am a fiscal conservative, but moderate in many ways.

I am very conservative at the federal level.

I don't believe you can pass laws that effectively govern 310,000,000 people. The job of the fed is to defend the borders and make treaties.

Then it gets to the states where I think you can discuss things like health care.

I agree with many of my liberal friends on things at the state and local level. But when they want to take it national, I dig in my heels.

So, are we also talking government context also ?

Sure, and I so agree with you about states having the right for self determination.

This has been fun , as usual. But would anyone like to suggestbsomeareas of common ground?

Is anyone happy living under a document adopted in 1787? We live under a business model crafted 225 years ago. It's no wonder that we have a government that is ineffective, plagued by politics of the whim, and owned by the wealthy lock stock and barrel.

Until we further perfect the document; nothing else matters.

Here is one I would handle at the state level.

Our health care system is great....but I am quite aware that health insurance or the lack of availability has impacted things. We don't have an oil and gas commissioner....but we have an insurance commissioner.

They prop up the insurance companies.

I don't want ACA at the Federal level....but I totally agree with most that we have a system that needs some fixing.

Is that common ground ?

This has been fun , as usual. But would anyone like to suggestbsomeareas of common ground?

Is anyone happy living under a document adopted in 1787? We live under a business model crafted 225 years ago. It's no wonder that we have a government that is ineffective, plagued by politics of the whim, and owned by the wealthy lock stock and barrel.

Until we further perfect the document; nothing else matters.

I am quite happy with the document. It is the bastardization of it by the FDR court that has been so miserable to see...and the GOP has been complicit.

States do the heavy lifting was always the central concept and should still be the central concept....we get back to that (and everyone in NY gets off food stamps) and I believe we will see a marked increase in "happiness" (whatever that means).

If people don't pay attention to politics...they will never be happy with anything. The founders hit the nail on the head with several quote that suggest you can't find joy in ignorance....and liberty ain't there either.

Of course there is common ground. Obama is not much different than GWB. We are a one-party state, now; but those in power need to deny that at all costs so that their power is not diluted.

Of course there is common ground. Obama is not much different than GWB. We are a one-party state, now; but those in power need to deny that at all costs so that their power is not diluted.

You're right...and if a third party candidate had a legitimate shot at getting elected....the corporations,lobbying groups and unions would be buying him/her...just like the others.

Get the money out and it will go a long way towards politicians working for the people instead of against them. Right now, as soon as the election is over, the chips get called in.

There's plenty of common ground between Democrats and Republicans. Both have a shared interest in preventing an outside party/candidate from challenging their monopoly on the political system. Both parties also like to spend a ton of money on wasteful programs (they just differ on where the money goes for the most part).

The greatest value of the 2 parties is that the Republicans save us from the Democrats and the Democrats save us from the Republicans.

Forum List

Back