Common Ground

Sky Dancer

Rookie
Jan 21, 2009
What does a Fundamentalist Christian, a Catholic, a Mormon, a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddhist, an atheist, an agnostic all have in common?

All are human beings. All want to be happy and avoid suffering. We all breathe the same air.

I thought it might be refreshing to talk about what we all share in common, rather than our differences.

Your thoughts? Let's talk about common ground.

What does a Fundamentalist Christian, a Catholic, a Mormon, a Muslim, a Hindu, a Buddhist, an atheist, an agnostic all have in common?

All are human beings. All want to be happy and avoid suffering. We all breathe the same air.

I thought it might be refreshing to talk about what we all share in common, rather than our differences.

you pretty much covered it... :lol:

How many posts in this thread before you revert to bashing Christians?

I know not of Sky "bashing" Christianity, the behavior of some professed Christians is fair game. Hitler*, Mussolini, and the Popes of the 11th, 12th, and 13th centuries that directed the Crusades were all "Christian". Obama has spoken out about the current slaughter of Christians in Nigeria; he is of course derided by the extreme right for mentioning this.

*Hitler abandoned the pretense of Christianity soon after he became dictator of Germany however.

• Banned

None.

• Banned
I thought of one more thing we humans have in common. We are all able to reflect on the fact of our impermanence. We know we will die someday.

I just wish the fundamentalists would allow those who don't follow to do so in peace. I mean remember the crusades? Or how about modern day strict sharia muslims calling for the death of all non-followers?

That stuff is bad.

They all believe in God, well their versions of God, so I guess they share that

I just wish the fundamentalists would allow those who don't follow to do so in peace. I mean remember the crusades? Or how about modern day strict sharia muslims calling for the death of all non-followers?

That stuff is bad.

How about what we all have in common as human beings? Even atheists and agnostics share some things in common with other human beings.

We all have human bodies and human capacities which include the ability to reflect on the certainty of death.

That stuff is bad.

How about what we all have in common as human beings? Even atheists and agnostics share some things in common with other human beings.

We all have human bodies and human capacities which include the ability to reflect on the certainty of death.

That is something everyone shares the ability to do :)

That stuff is bad.

That is something everyone shares the ability to do :)

Exactly. That's what this thread is about, finding those abilities we all share as human beings.

Both religion and atheism come about out of our ability to think and reflect on the abstract.

I dunno if I agree with the common ground, lots of people don't want to be happy.

Forum List

Back