Common core math problems ..

The student taking the test was given enough information to answer the question....The OP just didn't show it

Mathematics is not absolute. Most mathematics in life does not give you all the information. You make a best guess based on available information

I have a quarter tank of gas. Do I have enough gas to make it home?
I have a $20 bill. If I buy these four items, do I have enough money?

I assume you don't pilot aircraft much ... Your mathematics better be a little more accurate if you ever decide to ... :thup:
We can only hope you never get a job (outside of stocking shelves) in a pharmacy.

Last edited:
BlackSand, I've always thought you were pretty smart, but that was a really not smart statement. There certainly would be a definitive answer to both those problems if enough information were provided, but it wasn't. It has nothing to do with subjective opinions. That, girl, is the hogwash.

There wasn't enough information given ... And speculation isn't part of mathematics.
It is one of the only schools of knowledge where proving your work is not only encouraged ... But definitive.

The subjective opinions I was talking about involve all the other schools of knowledge and how things are interpreted.
Mathematics is not based in interpretation ... It is based in absolute proof.

The idea it is necessary to pollute an absolute science with goofy ideas about exploring alternative teaching methods is reckless and unnecessary.
Mathematics has worked fine without stupid questions that intentionally leave out information necessary to find a definitive answer.
Teach children how to do mathematics properly and correctly ... Instead of wasting valuable classroom time teaching them how to create nonsense.

2+2 = 4 ... Is Correct
2+y = orange ... Is Hogwash

The student taking the test was given enough information to answer the question....The OP just didn't show it

Mathematics is not absolute. Most mathematics in life does not give you all the information. You make a best guess based on available information

I have a quarter tank of gas. Do I have enough gas to make it home?
I have a $20 bill. If I buy these four items, do I have enough money?

Mathematics is not absolute

Say what ?

1+1=2

Do you have proof it does not?

New Topics

Forum List

Back