Comments On My Stupid Ballot

As for voting, I say we bring back the old machines with party-based levers. One pull, and you have voted the straight Republican (or Democrat, or Green, or Libertarian) ticket.

Absolutely not. We have that option here in South Carolina and it disgusts me. Nobody should be allowed to just cast one vote for an entire party and walk out the door in five seconds. People should have to know who they're voting for.

Meh, I am allowed to vote by mail so I do. I'm gonna be manning a polling station for a candidate on voting day, and that's enough standing/waiting/interacting with my fellow man for me. So I have the Ohio/Cuyahoga County ballot now and I have noticed a few stupid things about it.

* It has been translated into Spanish. The DOJ threatened to sue Cuyahoga County if it they refused, so they caved. Why, you ask?

How much did this cost, you ask?

Cuyahoga elections board agrees to limited bilingual ballots this year, countywide next year | cleveland.com

And that's not counting the salaries of every County or DOJ professional who frittered away time on this bullshit issue. I bet if I were voting on a Spanish ballot, I could tell who the candidates for Governor were. Governor = Gobernador. Gee, what're the odds? This change lengthened the ballot to two pages (guess how many handling errors that'll cause?) and this without any initiatives on it. Government sux sometimes.

Here's the other oddball thing: any political science major will tell you, the position of a candidate's name is important -- the first position will get more votes just by accident. But on my ballot, the positions are scrambled; the candidates for Governor lead off with the Green Party guy, the one for Attorney General has the Libertarian Party guy first, etc. If a voter locates his choice on the first candidate and assumes the arrangement is the same all over the ballot, his intent will be defeated.

Lastly, even though Ohio has finally agreed to allow judicial candidates to post their party affiliations, they are not on the ballot. You might feel judge races are unimportant, but two Common Pleas judges are now under indictment here in a corruption scandal that's been rocking this area for years. I think the Democrats, who are still in office, may have declined to identify their candidates to help shield them from public outrage. If so, and a Republican judge loses in a close race I hope he sues for a new election.

All in all, my advice is if you are going to stand on line to vote November 2nd, get a copy of your ballot in advance and read it carefully....there are mebbe some surprises in it.

Interesting that Ohio is still screwing up their voting process. So who's the Secretary of State responsible THIS time?

The same Democrat that allowed ACORN to register voters with a park bench as their address.

SFD...some fucking Democrat. Jennifer Brunner. Ohio is lousy with them. But the DOJ did not lean on the state -- they leaned on the county, and Cuyahoga County government is now world famous for its wide-spread corruption. It likely is no accident the County did not choose to litigate this with DOJ. Voting rights is a complex area of the law about which I know diddly-shit, but common sense would say the County could have won.

Just a coincidence this will tend to favor Democratic candidates?

I smell a rat.

Last edited:
Meh, I am allowed to vote by mail so I do. I'm gonna be manning a polling station for a candidate on voting day, and that's enough standing/waiting/interacting with my fellow man for me. So I have the Ohio/Cuyahoga County ballot now and I have noticed a few stupid things about it.

* It has been translated into Spanish. The DOJ threatened to sue Cuyahoga County if it they refused, so they caved. Why, you ask?

How much did this cost, you ask?

Cuyahoga elections board agrees to limited bilingual ballots this year, countywide next year | cleveland.com

And that's not counting the salaries of every County or DOJ professional who frittered away time on this bullshit issue. I bet if I were voting on a Spanish ballot, I could tell who the candidates for Governor were. Governor = Gobernador. Gee, what're the odds? This change lengthened the ballot to two pages (guess how many handling errors that'll cause?) and this without any initiatives on it. Government sux sometimes.

Here's the other oddball thing: any political science major will tell you, the position of a candidate's name is important -- the first position will get more votes just by accident. But on my ballot, the positions are scrambled; the candidates for Governor lead off with the Green Party guy, the one for Attorney General has the Libertarian Party guy first, etc. If a voter locates his choice on the first candidate and assumes the arrangement is the same all over the ballot, his intent will be defeated.

Lastly, even though Ohio has finally agreed to allow judicial candidates to post their party affiliations, they are not on the ballot. You might feel judge races are unimportant, but two Common Pleas judges are now under indictment here in a corruption scandal that's been rocking this area for years. I think the Democrats, who are still in office, may have declined to identify their candidates to help shield them from public outrage. If so, and a Republican judge loses in a close race I hope he sues for a new election.

All in all, my advice is if you are going to stand on line to vote November 2nd, get a copy of your ballot in advance and read it carefully....there are mebbe some surprises in it.

Interesting that Ohio is still screwing up their voting process. So who's the Secretary of State responsible THIS time?

The same Democrat that allowed ACORN to register voters with a park bench as their address.

So was there any proof that those bogus REGISTRATIONS resulted in bogus VOTES? The Acorn situation was a tad different than an actual manipulation of voting machines and disenfranchising of voters in Ohio in 2004. But I guess that's okay, since the SoS was a Republican, then. My point was that Ohio always seems to be the state holding the key to the final count in any major election, yet there's ALWAYS voter manipulation beforehand.

Madeline, the worst part about this is that all Puerto Ricans speak English.
"The school system is administered by the Department of Education and has several levels of learning. The language used in the schools is Spanish, however, English is taught from kindergarten to high school as part of the school curriculum. Some private schools provide English programs where all classes are conducted in English except for the Spanish class.

Puerto Rico has more than 50 institutions of higher education. Puerto Rico has achieved one of the highest college education rates in the world (6th) with 56% of its college-age students attending institutions of higher learning, according to World Bank data. "

Puerto Rico People

No, they don't. Try walking around the Bronx sometime if you don't speak Spanish.

SFD...some fucking Democrat. Jennifer Brunner. Ohio is lousy with them. But the DOJ did not lean on the state -- they leaned on the county, and Cuyahoga County government is now world famous for its wide-spread corruption. It likely is no accident the County did not choose to litigate this with DOJ. Voting rights is a complex area of the law about which I know diddly-shit, but common sense would say the County could have won.

I smell a rat.

So is this the first time the ballots have been printed in Spanish too?

So was there any proof that those bogus REGISTRATIONS resulted in bogus VOTES? The Acorn situation was a tad different than an actual manipulation of voting machines and disenfranchising of voters in Ohio in 2004. But I guess that's okay, since the SoS was a Republican, then. My point was that Ohio always seems to be the state holding the key to the final count in any major election, yet there's ALWAYS voter manipulation beforehand.

Who said it was OK? And do you see ACORN around anymore? Do organizations just disappear for no reason? And no there is not ALWAYS voter fraud or manipulation before hand.

"The school system is administered by the Department of Education and has several levels of learning. The language used in the schools is Spanish, however, English is taught from kindergarten to high school as part of the school curriculum. Some private schools provide English programs where all classes are conducted in English except for the Spanish class.

Puerto Rico has more than 50 institutions of higher education. Puerto Rico has achieved one of the highest college education rates in the world (6th) with 56% of its college-age students attending institutions of higher learning, according to World Bank data. "

Puerto Rico People

No, they don't. Try walking around the Bronx sometime if you don't speak Spanish.

Because they are speaking Spanish means they do not speak English?

I smell a rat.

So is this the first time the ballots have been printed in Spanish too?

Yes. The Voting Rights Act passed in 1965; apparently this county has been holding invalid elections for 45 years. Just a coincidence this arose when the Democrats were on the ropes.

Welcome To Utter Bullshit-ville.

Puerto Rico People

As someone who just finished working on a State Senate election in the Bronx, and spent all day every day speaking to voters, I can tell you that a VAST number of Puerto Ricans do not speak English at all.

Puerto Rico People

Maggie Mae, if you and I visit France and we can both speak French, would we do so in casual conversation over there that did not include any Frenchmen?

Besides, half of Planet Earth can speak English. If they can master it in India, why not Cleveland?

Maggie Mae, if you and I visit France and we can both speak French, would we do so in casual conversation over there that did not include any Frenchmen?

Besides, half of Planet Earth can speak English. If they can master it in India, why not Cleveland?

I think the English only should be an entirely new thread. Frankly, I think we SHOULD stop catering to every immigrant language. But I also think this thing in Cleveland is nothing to get all riled up about, since most states (and districts) have had multiple-language ballots for years. It is what it is, until a bill comes along that changes it nationwide.

Who said it was OK? And do you see ACORN around anymore? Do organizations just disappear for no reason? And no there is not ALWAYS voter fraud or manipulation before hand.

I'll bet there is somewhere! It's a situation that warrants encyclopedia entries, so it is indeed a problem.

Because
Numero uno: India is a former British territory and Indians have a basis for English, the old English but it is there.
Numero dos: All the American telephone and internet services went there and they have to speak American (or passable American) to be able to talk people through the problems and such. Cleveland has no jobs!
Numero tres: ¿Habla español?

I fully support independence for Puerto Rico, Baruck. As for voting, I say we bring back the old machines with party-based levers. One pull, and you have voted the straight Republican (or Democrat, or Green, or Libertarian) ticket.

I've never actually seen such a machine IRL, though. I have always voted on paper ballots, with punch pins or bubbles you color in.

I have and I have voted on them back in the day. Pulling one lever for Democrat or Republican and voting for all the candidates is not, in my opinion, being a good citizen. An informed voter chooses the candiate based on values, and issues not party. That is one reason why the party system need to be abolished and each candidate should run on theri own without any party affiliation.

Forum List

Back