Commentary Response To: Washington State Opening Latte Stand Inside State Prison

GotZoom

Apr 20, 2005
Cordova, TN
I'm with him. This is ridiculous. Prison needs to be unpleasant so people DON'T want to go back. Put them all in a 6 X 6 cell with no tv, library or gymnasium.

------

SEATTLE - Maybe I'm over-reacting.

Here's the deal: Washington State is planning to open a latte stand inside the McNeil Island penitentiary.

You heard me right: A "give me a double tall mocha with extra foam" latte stand for the inmates.

Can someone - PLEASE - tell me what the hell the bozos in Olympia are thinking?

The Department of Corrections says it's 'thinking' that the latte stand will make a fine addition to its vocational training program.

Well, that may be what the D.O.C. says, but I say this is one of the dumbest damn ideas I've come across!

What's next? TIVO to go along with the cable TV in the cells?

Look, I get it that the thousands of dollars spent on a commercial grade espresso machine will eventually come to make money.

But if making money legitimizes everything, might as well train women inmates over in Purdy to give massage - then open up a felon's "Tub and Rub" parlor at McNeil, or maybe up in Monroe.

You can bet that'd bring in a buck or two!

No, the real issue here is the image of a warm and fuzzy prison system where rapists and murderers get to sip lattes and munch on scones.

And I'll tell you: It's an image that genuinely ticks me off.

But, like I said: Maybe you think I'm just over-reacting.

Or maybe you agree.

If you do, let the good folks at the Department of Corrections in on how you feel.

http://www.komotv.com/stories/40123.htm

Prison should be simple. 3 meals a day. A shower. A place to sleep. Your basically being kept away fro msociety. Your doing your time. ITs like a timeout. But since we live in a world where timeouts are too harsh now, what can we expect from these same people to do with our jails. Nobody attacks the problem from the right angle.

There are too many people in jail for frivelous crimes like DUI, Not paying child support, marijuana possesion, etc. So instead of trying to repeal these laws, people attack it at the wrong end by trying to make a prisoners life more comfortable. Give them TV. Give them gyms. Give them hobbies. Make there life enjoyable so that they dont think they are being punished.

Prison should be for the worst offenders of society. Murderers, Rapists, Child rapists, thieves, etc. People that prey upon society. It should not be for people going about their lives that have broken a law that someone created to tell people what to do.

The Department of Corrections says it's 'thinking' that the latte stand will make a fine addition to its vocational training program.
yeah and im just big boned!

lets put it this way. you ever been to a barnes and noble and seen some of the people working the coffee stands? any dick can learn to make expressos. instead of lattes, why not preach education to them?

WTF.. I'm not behind bars, I didn't do anything wrong, and there sure as hell is nobody making sure there's a latte stand in my back yard, available for my consumption every day.

You want one? Get keep your ass out of jail, and use your new found freedom to go get one.

Forum List

Back