Commentary: Obama breaks promise on campaign finance

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
Ruh Roh. Campbell Brown has attacked the messiah.

(CNN) -- You may have heard that Wednesday night Barack Obama will be on five different TV networks speaking directly to the American people.

He bought 30 minutes of airtime from the different networks, a very expensive purchase. But hey, he can afford it. Barack Obama is loaded, way more loaded than John McCain, way more loaded than any presidential candidate has ever been at this stage of the campaign.

Just to throw a number out: He has raised well over $600 million since the start of his campaign, close to what George Bush and John Kerry raised combined in 2004.

Without question, Obama has set the bar at new height with a truly staggering sum of cash. And that is why as we approach this November, it is worth reminding ourselves what Barack Obama said last November.

One year ago, he made a promise. He pledged to accept public financing and to work with the Republican nominee to ensure that they both operated within those limits.

Commentary: Obama breaks promise on campaign finance - CNN.com

As far as I'm concerned it's a legit criticism of Senator Obama from Campbell Brown. He did go back on his word on campaign financing. This isn't anything new nor anything the electorate seems to care about or anything but legit nonetheless.

Last edited:
I find it so interesting as to how people can sit here and lamblast Obama for breaking his word, yet give McCain a pass for all of his lies.

I wonder how much of that 600 million was put on credit cards that we'll have to "bail out" lol

I find it so interesting as to how people can sit here and lamblast Obama for breaking his word, yet give McCain a pass for all of his lies.

You mean like how he wants another 300 billion for the bail out? Still waiting for you to prove that one. I wonder, does that make YOU a liar?

I like Campbell Brown. She's smart. But this is old news. The people don't give a crap about this so called "broken promise"

How many elections have been lost by democrats because they were outspent by the Republicans? Too many to count!

If Obama had opted for public finance this race would be vastly different. The RNC would've dumped all their resources into McCain not to mention all the 527 groups that would've gone after Obama. The massive amount of money he raised IMO only leveled the playing field from what it's been historically. It's a fact that Republicans give bigger donations and are backed by big money.

When you consider how much of Obama's money was raised by small donations I don't see how anyone can complain. Obama's campaign has been financed by the people of this country, the way it should be. That's public financing at its core.

Republicans have their panties all twisted because Obama beat them at their own game of sucking off the Wall Street teet.

The real losers will be the American people as Obama has made future presidential elections even more expensive and he's totally shifted power in this country from Washington. DC to Wall Street.

The fact that he's a liar is meaningless. Americans ONLY elect liars, actors, and clowns. The ability to lie with ease in American politics is an asset .. damn near a requirement.

As far as I'm concerned it's a legit criticism of Senator Obama from Campbell Brown. He did go back on his word on campaign financing. This isn't anything new nor anything the electorate seems to care about or anything but legit nonetheless.

I thought the Messiah was incapable of sinning.

Yes, thousands of small donations by people called Mr. feelgood.

How Generous of him.

I heard ont he radio yesterday the #1 contributor to Obama campign is the University of California....Isn't that a state school paid by state funds?

How does that work? Are they allowed to donate state money to politicians?

You mean like how he wants another 300 billion for the bail out? Still waiting for you to prove that one. I wonder, does that make YOU a liar?

Did you actually read the last post I made there where I provided a link AND a transcript where McCain said this wasn't Bush's plan and he said this AFTER the bailout bill was passed.

Coward.

This is what he said.

Obama wrote that he wants to work toward a spending agreement with the Republican Party's nominee.

"I propose a meaningful agreement in good faith that results in real spending limits,"

This is not what they are pitching that he pledged to use public financing. What a bunch of whiners. This the first time they have less money and BooHoo.

Yes, thousands of small donations by people called Mr. feelgood.

How Generous of him.

I heard ont he radio yesterday the #1 contributor to Obama campign is the University of California....Isn't that a state school paid by state funds?

How does that work? Are they allowed to donate state money to politicians?

heard on the radio eh? LOL was that Rush's show? GMAB

speaking as one of those small donors I find it hysterical that the Repubs are whining and crying about how much money Obama has raised.

I guess they forget that Bush opted out of public financing in his first bid for the presidency during the primaries...that's how he beat the shit out of McCain.

Obama didn't kill public financing - Bush did

The current system began to unravel eight years ago. George W. Bush became the first candidate since the post-Watergate reforms of the mid-1970s to decline public money in the primaries, thus avoiding the limits it imposed.

Bush's decision was the single-most important reason he defeated John McCain for the 2000 nomination because Bush was able to spend without limit to win South Carolina after his loss in the New Hampshire primary.

so while I do so enjoy the hand wringing over Obama's "broken promise" at least be honest about why it bothers you so much. Obama beat the Republicans at their own game. pure and simple.

heard on the radio eh? LOL was that Rush's show? GMAB

speaking as one of those small donors I find it hysterical that the Repubs are whining and crying about how much money Obama has raised.

I guess they forget that Bush opted out of public financing in his first bid for the presidency during the primaries...that's how he beat the shit out of McCain.

Obama didn't kill public financing - Bush did

By lying ? Probably
so while I do so enjoy the hand wringing over Obama's "broken promise" at least be honest about why it bothers you so much. Obama beat the Republicans at their own game. pure and simple.

By lying ? Probably

I like Campbell Brown. She's smart. But this is old news. The people don't give a crap about this so called "broken promise"

How many elections have been lost by democrats because they were outspent by the Republicans? Too many to count!

If Obama had opted for public finance this race would be vastly different. The RNC would've dumped all their resources into McCain not to mention all the 527 groups that would've gone after Obama. The massive amount of money he raised IMO only leveled the playing field from what it's been historically. It's a fact that Republicans give bigger donations and are backed by big money.

When you consider how much of Obama's money was raised by small donations I don't see how anyone can complain. Obama's campaign has been financed by the people of this country, the way it should be. That's public financing at its core.

I never ageed with McCain-Feingold. Interestingly enough, blowback is so interesting for all concerned.

Seems to me that the Democrats should be concerned with what is going on, but they turn a deaf ear. Obama's campaign is going to have to 'return' 30-65% of donations, or fear prosecution from existing laws. Many laws should be written after the election, but my guess is, hubris will set in with an Obama win.

While McCain has been reporting all his donations, the Obama camp has said they are being lax in accepting donations, deposit them, then vet. Thus the numbers of donations we've been hearing about for months. Problem is, as Washington Post made clear, hundreds, thousands have exceeded the limits by law. I have over 60k in credit cards I could charge. If I were to do so using my real name, I'm limited to $2300. However, if I want to use multiple names, well Obama will let me. I can max out. I'll get it back, after he's elected. I've given him use of my credit.

Forum List

Back