Come on Republicans, would you let your Daughter marry this guy?

The idea that only daughters of working mothers get pregnant is blatantly false. What is new is the high percentage who do get pregnant. What is really stupid and acting like an ostrich on the subject -are those who insist there can't possibly be any correlation with the degradation and increased crassness of our society in general -one that celebrates and admires the most base and crude among us and ridicules those who do not wallow in it as well, society's emphasis on "if it feels good, do it", the increasing sexualization of children, TV shows and movies with not only gratuitous sex but engaging in unprotected sex that never has any consequences of disease or pregnancy, if a movie does involve a teen pregnancy it is invariably a comedy anymore -and public schools that openly say it is unrealistic to expect teens to postpone sex until mature enough to handle the consequences without needing mommy and daddy to help deal with it. We have a society that in every way contradicts the message they receive from their parents. A teen is most susceptible to that message at the very time teens are most likely to want to rebel against their parents anyway.

Past generations managed to do it better -but then, they didn't have to deal with a society that contradicted the message they received from their parents either -and instead reinforced it. So yeah, parents in every financial bracket, whether the mother works or not, whether a single parent household or two - are dealing with the fact their teen daughter finds herself pregnant. And it shouldn't be a big surprise to people given what parents are up against from their own society.

If you read the original post you will see I never said that. You are talking about an non issue that was not brought up on this post. Like I said earlier I was raised by a single mom that had 3 kids and none of us had our own kids before we were 22 so you are dragging a topic into the forum that should have never been her. I also replied to (Del) the original poster that called me out and she interpreted that I said that. If you think your issue is a problem then create a post. I wont argue it with you because I am on your side and I DONT THINK THAT ONLY DAUGHTERS OF MOTHERS WHO WORK ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO GET PREGNANT so yes you are right, yes its bullshit and lets move on. Stop trying to twist my words, or show me where I said "ONLY DAUGHTERS OF MOTHERS WHO WORK ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO GET PREGNANT" please show me the quote or shut up about it.

There are some people here who seem to think that government has the responsibility to teach teenagers about sex. These are the same people who claim they want government out of our sex lives. Needless to say, I am quite amused at the contradiction in viewpoints.

As for letting my daughter marry this guy, hypothetically speaking since I don't have a daughter, I think id need alittle more information than an alleged myspace page to base my decision on whether I approve or not. And even if I didnt approve I am not convinced my daughter wouldnt just go against my wishes anyway. She is old enough to make her own decisions.

The idea that anyone can make an informed judgment about someone from their MySpace page is silly, naive and potentially dangerous. Teens invariably want to portray themselves as being WAY cooler than they really are, and exaggeration, it not outright lying in order to look more cool is probably more the norm than the exception. The use of foul language by teens is quite typical for the age and encouraged among teens. Remove the foul language and the guy sounds like a very typical teen talking about the stuff he enjoys doing. And no doubt he didn't want kids until presented with the fact another activity he was involved in is highly likely to result in the consequence he now faces. His choice was an even more immature decision to turn his back on his pregnant girlfriend or join with her to deal with the consequences as a couple.

Apparently some think the more mature choice for him would be to walk away -interesting. Personally I don't hold out much hope that their marriage will last given their young ages, but I've been wrong on that before. When my niece was 17 she got pregnant, she and her 17 yr old boyfriend got married. They've been married 20 yrs, each worked in turn to put the other through college, now have three children who are all doing very well and have been very happy. While the age alone is a factor against the future success of the marriage of Palin's daughter and future son-in-law, it will depend on the real commitment each brings to the marriage that will decide that. And no one here can know that and it certainly cannot be determined by a stupid MySpace page obviously written before the pregnancy and not updated since.

If you read the original post you will see I never said that. You are talking about an non issue that was not brought up on this post. Like I said earlier I was raised by a single mom that had 3 kids and none of us had our own kids before we were 22 so you are dragging a topic into the forum that should have never been her. I also replied to (Del) the original poster that called me out and she interpreted that I said that. If you think your issue is a problem then create a post. I wont argue it with you because I am on your side and I DONT THINK THAT ONLY DAUGHTERS OF MOTHERS WHO WORK ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO GET PREGNANT so yes you are right, yes its bullshit and lets move on. Stop trying to twist my words, or show me where I said "ONLY DAUGHTERS OF MOTHERS WHO WORK ARE THE ONLY ONES WHO GET PREGNANT" please show me the quote or shut up about it.

Although my response was to a particular line, it was not one that was calling you out on anything and was just a generalization response with regard to anyone who thinks teen pregnancy is more likely to happen to the daughters of working moms. Sorry if you took it personally -no need to.

Forum List

Back