Come on Republicans, would you let your Daughter marry this guy?

I see nothing wrong with what you just said dillo, of course you should be able to teach your son as you as a parent see fit. You know many years ago we used to get our value systems passed to us from one family generation to the next, and then for some strange reason suddenly it has become society's responsibility to teach them. I tend to prefer the former and not the latter.

Because the former is so successful, right?

Statistics

One of every 3 girls has had sex by age 16, 2 out of 3 by age 18. Two of 3 boys have had sex by age 18.

This stat about young girls is startling. I think I will be the dad you shows up at the door with a baseball bat before my daughter goes on a date. I hate the fact that some drooling hormone ridden boy will be trying to have sex with my daughter. I guess this is payback because I was one of those drooling boys at one time. Damn life is ironic.

it is. so's drinking and doing drugs.

that's why it never happens

Underage sex isn't illegal in most states (since I believe the majority have Romeo and Juliette Laws now). What's illegal is someone more than a certain number of years older than the minor having sex with them. (which it's totally appropriate to make iilegal).

Underage sex isn't illegal in most states (since I believe the majority have Romeo and Juliette Laws now). What's illegal is someone more than a certain number of years older than the minor having sex with them. (which it's totally appropriate to make iilegal).
I didn't think so either. I've never been told (as a kid) that sex was illegal (except for the obvious issue of rape), and I've never heard of anyone being locked up for teen sex.

sounds like kids aren't learning or comprehending the importance of safe sex....sex education is not even working and abstinence alone being taught is even worse....

sadly, looks like Palin ain't alone in her daughter's dilemma...

But they HAVE found that Abstinence Only education actually fails in all regards. Most we can hope for is a greater emphasis on what can happen if they have unsafe sex.

I also think it's really important, particularly with teen girls, to emphasize self-esteem and all that means.

Actually most sex IS ILLEGAL for under the age of consent children...sorry, but on this, you are both wrong...in my state, it has to be reported if the school is aware of it...

sure it varies among states, but here is a link from something in my state..

School health centers didn't report underage sex | Portland Press Herald

I don't think I said it never exists, but more and more states ARE passing Romeo and Juliet laws.

Romeo and Juliet Laws – What They Mean for Teens

Just from a criminal law perspective, if both parties are underage and considered below the age of consent, then how could they have the mens rea to commit a criminal act?

I'd wager not many kids are prosecuted for that...

As for the article you posted. It's interesting, but I think it's disgusting that the D.A. would try to get brownie points by preventing kids from getting condoms by threatening criminal prosecution. How many kids are going to ask for the condoms if they know their names are being turned over to some piece of garbage with an agenda?

Jillian, all I have to go in is my family and in mine, it has been. So to answer your question "Yes"

Then you are very lucky and I congratulate you. But, just out of curiousity, do you think your parents would know at what age you first had sex?

There is, however, a greater societal issue. As you can see from the numbers (with 2 out of 3 kids having sex by the time they're 18), not everyone is as successful as you are and you're in a minority of 1/3 if your kids made it to 18.

I don't think I said it never exists, but more and more states ARE passing Romeo and Juliet laws.

Romeo and Juliet Laws – What They Mean for Teens

Just from a criminal law perspective, if both parties are underage and considered below the age of consent, then how could they have the mens rea to commit a criminal act?

I'd wager not many kids are prosecuted for that...

As for the article you posted. It's interesting, but I think it's disgusting that the D.A. would try to get brownie points by preventing kids from getting condoms by threatening criminal prosecution. How many kids are going to ask for the condoms if they know their names are being turned over to some piece of garbage with an agenda?
Oh! I am sorry i misunderstood!

yes then :), I agree with you, many are passing romeo and juliet laws for Stautory rape!

Maybe it was Ravi that was questioning whether underage sex was against the law....and it is, but it might as well not be, because most states do not enforce it....

And I wanted to note that I think YOU are right when we have to somehow reach young teen girls and teach them about self esteem that you mentioned earlier...

And I had read that abstinence only programs are not working well at all too, but what i don't know if this was just abstinent only courses and no regular sex ed classes or where they had both courses available? it would just help define what is really going on and whether abstinence only till marriage programs should be nixed altogether or not necessarily if combined with comprehensive sex ed programs....

I have been googling like mad all day trying to find out more info on this whole topic....

I still feel pretty strongly, especially in like junior high, that we should have the abstinence program for these 12 and 13 year old girls, not without the other program too teaching safe sex if they do, but when this young, they need to be taught that it is OKAY to ABSTAIN, yes, it isOKAY to abstain from having sex and okay and normal to say NO to their hormone raging boyfriend and they can and WILL still be loved, at least until they are ready and understand fully the consequenses....that self esteem part.....

Truthfully alll of this information, on abstaining and on birthcontrol would be better taught by the parents, in most cases...and school should only be a reinforcement of such....but hey, I am old schooled on this I suppose...:eek:

care

There are some people here who seem to think that government has the responsibility to teach teenagers about sex. These are the same people who claim they want government out of our sex lives. Needless to say, I am quite amused at the contradiction in viewpoints.

As for letting my daughter marry this guy, hypothetically speaking since I don't have a daughter, I think id need alittle more information than an alleged myspace page to base my decision on whether I approve or not. And even if I didnt approve I am not convinced my daughter wouldnt just go against my wishes anyway. She is old enough to make her own decisions.

There are some people here who seem to think that government has the responsibility to teach teenagers about sex. These are the same people who claim they want government out of our sex lives. Needless to say, I am quite amused at the contradiction in viewpoints.

As for letting my daughter marry this guy, hypothetically speaking since I don't have a daughter, I think id need alittle more information than an alleged myspace page to base my decision on whether I approve or not. And even if I didnt approve I am not convinced my daughter wouldnt just go against my wishes anyway. She is old enough to make her own decisions.
Actually avatar, the laws are strange in Alaska...at 17 she reached the age of consent to have sex, but at 17 she still can not marry without the parent's permission, according to alaskan law.

so it is up to the parents now, but in a few months when she is 18, she could marry legally...

no one has said when the wedding is sceduled, so who knows, she could be waiting until 18?

Wake up, the myspace article is not alleged, it has been backed by several sources and has not been denied by Palen or anybody on the Republican side. Just google it yourself. There is a big picture of him and his comments. Also, since when is a seventeen year old girl able to make the best decisions for herself.

Wake up, the myspace article is not alleged, it has been backed by several sources and has not been denied by Palen or anybody on the Republican side. Just google it yourself. There is a big picture of him and his comments. Also, since when is a seventeen year old girl able to make the best decisions for herself.

Since the GOP has decided to stop with the image of the children in front of the flag and defend Bristol. If this was Joe Biden or Barack Obama's 17 year old daughter they would have a field day with this. As would the people on this board who support John McCain and Sarah Palin as they would be taking a cheap shot at every chance. Usually the GOP condemns something like this but not Bristol.

It will be interesting the next time this happens to a non GOP member.

I'm sorry, I responded before you edited. Your statement above may be the most ridiculous I've encountered in awhile. You sure you want to stand by it and by extension the proposition that only the daughters of working mothers get pregnant in their teens?

The idea that only daughters of working mothers get pregnant is blatantly false. What is new is the high percentage who do get pregnant. What is really stupid and acting like an ostrich on the subject -are those who insist there can't possibly be any correlation with the degradation and increased crassness of our society in general -one that celebrates and admires the most base and crude among us and ridicules those who do not wallow in it as well, society's emphasis on "if it feels good, do it", the increasing sexualization of children, TV shows and movies with not only gratuitous sex but engaging in unprotected sex that never has any consequences of disease or pregnancy, if a movie does involve a teen pregnancy it is invariably a comedy anymore -and public schools that openly say it is unrealistic to expect teens to postpone sex until mature enough to handle the consequences without needing mommy and daddy to help deal with it. We have a society that in every way contradicts the message they receive from their parents. A teen is most susceptible to that message at the very time teens are most likely to want to rebel against their parents anyway.

Past generations managed to do it better -but then, they didn't have to deal with a society that contradicted the message they received from their parents either -and instead reinforced it. So yeah, parents in every financial bracket, whether the mother works or not, whether a single parent household or two - are dealing with the fact their teen daughter finds herself pregnant. And it shouldn't be a big surprise to people given what parents are up against from their own society.

Forum List

Back