Come on Republicans, would you let your Daughter marry this guy?

As the father of two one in college, and another a senior in college, I can tell you for a fact. If I knew of a class where they taught "blow jobs" or any parent here for that matter, liberal or con, the parents would be all over that school. However, kids are a little more socially aware these day's than we were, and thats just an observation. So to teach a kid to refrain from pre-martial sex while a noble thing really does not reflect reality. It's my opinion that the more informed a child is the better prepared they are to make an informed decision. I know when I told my daughters no you can't have that, well that set in motion the need to get it even more *laughs*.

yo simply separated them out

Except, it's not intercourse that screws up their lives... it's UNPROTECTED intercourse.

They'll have sex either way. .

nice of you too notice

even PROTECTED intercourse can screw up a life

please show me where 100% of kids have premarital sex

You apparently have little experience with teenagers.

Teenagers can smell dishonesty and hypocrisy from a mile a way.

If some adult Con is standing in front of a sex ed class, lecturing them to be abstinent until marriage the kids aren't going to be fooled. They'll know there's a 99.9999% chance that teacher wasn't abstinent until marriage. And I'll bet a weeks salary that Sarah Palin wasn't abstinent until marriage.

Kids are smart enough to know dishonesty and hypocrisy when they see it.

Its the most dishonest form of education I can imagine.

Nobody I know in my life was lectured by publically employed teachers about being abstinent until marriage. Because it would have been a lie.

Kids need to be taught actual facts: that sexual intercourse can have some bad consequences and can fuck up their lives. But, an honest adult would also tell them about how to effectively and consistently practice contraception.

i guess that's why it is AGAINST THE LAW for young teens to have sex...:eusa_whistle: and statutory rape in many different states at various ages of teens....

you to me, are being very self centered and melodramatic on this topic imo red dawn....it's NOT ABOUT YOU ONLY....other parents who are citizens ALSO have a say, and rightfully so....

abstinence only until marriage programs alone have not worked that well, i can agree....but it is NOT a requirement of schools to ONLY teach such AND NEVER HAS BEEN, in order to get the FED funds for it and schools CAN teach comprehensive sexual ed also....and they most certainly should....

and teaching abstinence to 13,14,15 year olds or up untill the age of legal consent is NOT a bad idea imo.

and you are welcomed to have your opinion on this, as you STRONGLY DO, but you do not speak for me and you do not count more than me, and yhis is the way you have come off in your rants, though it is possible i read such, wrongly?

care

i guess that's why it is AGAINST THE LAW for young teens to have sex...:eusa_whistle: and statutory rape in many different states at various ages of teens....

you to me, are being very self centered and melodramatic on this topic imo red dawn....it's NOT ABOUT YOU ONLY....other parents who are citizens ALSO have a say, and rightfully so....

abstinence only until marriage programs alone have not worked that well, i can agree....but it is NOT a requirement of schools to ONLY teach such AND NEVER HAS BEEN, in order to get the FED funds for it and schools CAN teach comprehensive sexual ed also....and they most certainly should....

and teaching abstinence to 13,14,15 year olds or up untill the age of legal consent is NOT a bad idea imo.

and you are welcomed to have your opinion on this, as you STRONGLY DO, but you do not speak for me and you do not count more than me, and yhis is the way you have come off in your rants, though it is possible i read such, wrongly?

care

So, your contention is that the 18 year old man who had sex with the 16 year old Bristol Palin should be charged with rape?

As the father of two one in college, and another a senior in college, I can tell you for a fact. If I knew of a class where they taught "blow jobs" or any parent here for that matter, liberal or con, the parents would be all over that school. However, kids are a little more socially aware these day's than we were, and thats just an observation. So to teach a kid to refrain from pre-martial sex while a noble thing really does not reflect reality. It's my opinion that the more informed a child is the better prepared they are to make an informed decision. I know when I told my daughters no you can't have that, well that set in motion the need to get it even more *laughs*.

Well then inform them that that absolutely safest way to prevent pregancy and avoid stds is abstinence. What is it about people who are afraid to tell the truth and set high goals ? If you want to teach what they should do if they choose not to abstain, DO IT YOURSELF ! Why is that such a fricken hard job for a parent ? If you can't, you have no place being a parent in the first place.

care
I dunno, Care, your argument sounds kind of silly. If it's against the law, and I still haven't seen any evidence of that, then why do you need to teach young teens to refrain from sex? All you'd need to do is tell them that it's against the law.

:D

So, your contention is that the 18 year old man who had sex with the 16 year old Bristol Palin should be charged with rape?
she's 17 years old, she was of legal consent age...in alaska.

and in alaska, as with most all states, there is a 3 year difference law....

the age must be a child or adult 3 years older....than the other child....they are 1 year apart.

and if you want to put her at 16 when they had sex, then he would have been 17 at the time, no?

just seems as though this is all partisan hackery on your part....or faux outrage....and i have no dog in this hunt, Palin or mccain will not get my vote....

i just wish people would start addressing the real issues with real facts...instead of spinning what the various different political blog sites are telling us to spin.... :(

and no, i don't think i would like letting my daughter marry before 18, but i would also be thinking about my future grandchild not being born a bastard, so if this is what my daughter and her boyfriend really wanted to do, i suppose i would allow it....and hope and prey for them to beat the odds that are against them.... :(

i am not even certain this kid's myspace spot is really him at this age, him when 15, or not him at all....to tell ya the truth...

care

Last edited:
I dunno, Care, your argument sounds kind of silly. If it's against the law, and I still haven't seen any evidence of that, then why do you need to teach young teens to refrain from sex? All you'd need to do is tell them that it's against the law.

I know every state is different but there is some kind of rule like if the girl is under age and the boy is under 21 then its not rape. I'll have to look it up but there is some gray area.

statutory rape? age of legal consent?

these ages of legal consent are based on the fact that a teen's brain is not fully developed until a certain age, thus a 13, 14, 15 year old are under the age of legal consent....in most all states.

they should be taught to abstain until the brain is developed fully with all reasoning power...even be taught they ''ain't thinking straight'' till then! :)

the whole reason we have a juvenile justice system, different from adults in all states....the development of a juvenile's brain is not complete yet, so science says...

exactly
and then hope like hell that they use it

Yep... Exactly. My son is going to be 11 pretty soon. And I always say I pray to G-d that he protects him from his own stupidity once hormones kick in.

On the other hand, after watching how little girls hang all over him, I am starting to have discussions with my husband about when it's appropriate to start talking about safe sex....

Because prayers only go so far. :eusa_pray:

Yep... Exactly. My son is going to be 11 pretty soon. And I always say I pray to G-d that he protects him from his own stupidity once hormones kick in.

On the other hand, after watching how little girls hang all over him, I am starting to have discussions with my husband about when it's appropriate to start talking about safe sex....

Why worry? Give him the rubbers now

Jillian, teenagers these days pray now more then ever.

I can't imagine the number of times that if God does exist that he/she hears the words "Oh god!" daily. :D

Seriously though, I agree that prayers only go so far.

Well then inform them that that absolutely safest way to prevent pregancy and avoid stds is abstinence. What is it about people who are afraid to tell the truth and set high goals ? If you want to teach what they should do if they choose not to abstain, DO IT YOURSELF ! Why is that such a fricken hard job for a parent ? If you can't, you have no place being a parent in the first place.

Thank you dillo for the advice, however they both are very mature, stable, kind, doing very well in school and I could not be more happy or proud of both of them. I like to think that's because they were brought up to believe that having all the facts makes for a wise choice. I am completely amazed how many people love to pass judgement on others parenting skills and set standards by which they should and should not bring up their children, when it seems to me thats the parents job. Not a school , not a church , and damn sure not a village.

nice of you too notice

even PROTECTED intercourse can screw up a life

please show me where 100% of kids have premarital sex

Keep pretending kids DON'T HAVE SEX... Just keep them ignorant and punish the young harlots by taking away their R-I-G-H-T to reproductive choice... I'm sure THAT works,...

Sex, Teen Pregnancy, STDs, HIV/AIDS

Teen Pregnancy

The teen birth rate has declined slowly but steadily from 1991 to 2001 with an overall decline of 26 percent for those aged 15 to 19.

Nearly four in 10 young women become pregnant at least once before they reach the age of 20-nearly one million a year Eight in ten of these pregnancies are unintended and 79 percent are to unmarried teens.

One of every 3 girls has had sex by age 16, 2 out of 3 by age 18. Two of 3 boys have had sex by age 18.

Fewer than half of high school students have had sex.

Teen mothers are less likely to complete high school, (only one-third receive a high school diploma) and more likely to end up on welfare (nearly 80 percent of unmarried teen mothers end up on welfare).

The United States has the highest rates of teen pregnancy and births in the western industrialized world. Teen pregnancy costs the United States at least $7 billion annually.

A majority of both girls and boys who are sexually active wish they had waited. Eight in ten girls and six in ten boys say they wish they had waited until they were older to have sex.

The younger a teenaged girl is when she has sex for the first time, the more likely she is to have had unwanted or non-voluntary sex. Close to four in ten girls who had first intercourse at 13 or 14 report it was either non-voluntary or unwanted.
STDs

Teens have higher rates of gonorrhea than do sexually active men and women aged 20-44.

Every year 3 million teens--about 1 in 4 sexually active teens-get a Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD).

Some studies show that up to 15% of sexually active teenage women are infected with the human papillomavirus (HPV), many with the type of HPV that is linked to cervical cancer.

Chlamydia is more common among teens than among older men and women.
HIV/AIDS

Twenty-five percent of U.S. high school students said that they were under the influence of alcohol or drugs when they last engaged in sexual activity.

Half of all new infections are thought to occur in people under 25.

Almost 50% of teachers who teach about HIV/AIDS reported spending only one or two class periods on the topic.

In a recent survey, 87% of young Americans said they do not believe they are at risk for HIV infection.

Each year 3,000 adolescents contract sexually transmitted diseases, which is about one in four sexually experienced teens.

Young Americans between the ages of 13 and 24 are still contracting HIV at the rate of 2 per hour

Statistics

I know every state is different but there is some kind of rule like if the girl is under age and the boy is under 21 then its not rape. I'll have to look it up but there is some gray area.
many states have a 3 year rule...20 year old with a 17 year old, ok. 20 year old with a 16 year old, NOT OK.... that kind of thing...

Thank you dillo for the advice, however they both are very mature, stable, kind, doing very well in school and I could not be more happy or proud of both of them. I like to think that's because they were brought up to believe that having all the facts makes for a wise choice. I am completely amazed how many people love to pass judgement on others parenting skills and set standards by which they should and should not bring up their children, when it seems to me thats the parents job. Not a school , not a church , and damn sure not a village.

I'm glad they are doing well as is my son, however again--I don't think that expecting a parent to teach their OWN children about sexuality unreasonable.
If I am to be held legally responsible for their actions, I expect to be allowed to teach them how to behave themselves.

statutory rape? age of legal consent?

these ages of legal consent are based on the fact that a teen's brain is not fully developed until a certain age, thus a 13, 14, 15 year old are under the age of legal consent....in most all states.

they should be taught to abstain until the brain is developed fully with all reasoning power...even be taught they ''ain't thinking straight'' till then! :)

the whole reason we have a juvenile justice system, different from adults in all states....the development of a juvenile's brain is not complete yet, so science says...
I'm not talking about the underage having sex with the overage. I thought you meant sex between young teens was illegal.

Keep pretending kids DON'T HAVE SEX... Just keep them ignorant and punish the young harlots by taking away their R-I-G-H-T to reproductive choice... I'm sure THAT works,...

Statistics

I noticed the were no stats stating that 100% of kids had premarital sex as you claim. I'm sorry you have so little faith in kids. Don't be ashamed of your youthful sexual experiences by assuming everyone was like you.

Statistics

sounds like kids aren't learning or comprehending the importance of safe sex....sex education is not even working and abstinence alone being taught is even worse....

sadly, looks like Palin ain't alone in her daughter's dilemma...

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with what you just said dillo, of course you should be able to teach your son as you as a parent see fit. You know many years ago we used to get our value systems passed to us from one family generation to the next, and then for some strange reason suddenly it has become society's responsibility to teach them. I tend to prefer the former and not the latter.

Forum List

Back