COME ON! -L.A. church leaders sought to hide sex abuse cases from authorities

UseCaution

Jan 15, 2013
L.A. church leaders sought to hide sex abuse cases from authorities - latimes.com

“Documents from the late 1980s show that Archbishop Roger M. Mahony and another archdiocese official discussed strategies to keep police from discovering that children were being sexually abused by priests.”

“Fifteen years before the clergy sex abuse scandal came to light, Archbishop Roger M. Mahony and a top advisor plotted to conceal child molestation by priests from law enforcement, including keeping them out of California to avoid prosecution, according to internal Catholic church records released Monday”

“Mahony, who retired in 2011, has apologized repeatedly for errors in handling abuse allegations. In a statement Monday, he apologized once again and recounted meetings he's had with about 90 victims of abuse.

"I have a 3 x 5 card for every victim I met with on the altar of my small chapel. I pray for them every single day," he wrote. "As I thumb through those cards I often pause as I am reminded of each personal story and the anguish that accompanies that life story."

“In a 2010 deposition, Mahony acknowledged the archdiocese had never called police to report sexual abuse by a priest before 2000. He said church officials were unable to do so because they didn't know the names of the children harmed.”

“This guy makes the Scientolists look good”

Come on! This man knew each name the whole time! Accessory after the fact. that excommunication standards need to be revised at a minimum. Can we compromise on this at least.
Why is big gov’t having to subsidize policing the church? I guess doing fundraisers, child safety event fundraisers from religious predators.
Is not profitable to the church. I suggest Wednesday night HBO excommunication bonus nights. Better yet HBO Friday night at the gun range wiped out series. Come on

Forum List

Back