Come and Offend Me!

MtnBiker said:
That is a possibility.

Generally speaking of course.

Too bad--I find the Israel-Jewish issue facinating. I'm aware that the issue is pretty taboo unless you have favorable things to say about both but there is a truth behind the issue no matter what people's opinions are. It appears that Christian or Muslim bashing is kosher for conversation but the Jewish /Israeli issue is off limits and results in a ding on your rep if you say something even remotely negative about it. A statement such as " I think Israel gets too much aid from the US" results in you being called anti-semitic by those who defend Israel and the Jews 100%. Can anyone explain the difference between this and the hatred for ANYONE liberal that is expressed here? Bigotry is bigotry no matter what the target.

dilloduck said:
Too bad--I find the Israel-Jewish issue facinating. I'm aware that the issue is pretty taboo unless you have favorable things to say about both but there is a truth behind the issue no matter what people's opinions are. It appears that Christian or Muslim bashing is kosher for conversation but the Jewish /Israeli issue is off limits and results in a ding on your rep if you say something even remotely negative about it. A statement such as " I think Israel gets too much aid from the US" results in you being called anti-semitic by those who defend Israel and the Jews 100%. Can anyone explain the difference between this and the hatred for ANYONE liberal that is expressed here? Bigotry is bigotry no matter what the target.

I don't get it, either. I'll debate with most liberal viewpoints because I disagree with them, but I don't ding rep of disagreements. If someone thinks Israel should stand on their own two feet, I'll argue that without our aid, the Middle East will collapse in on them, but that doesn't merit a flame or negative rep. Oh, and what I say to people is that I consider religion bashing off-limits unless the other person finds it ok, but if you bash my religion, I'm going to assume you won't mind if I bash yours (all in jest, of course).

As far as hating anything liberal, I don't think most people are like that. A few are, but then again, even Bully has a positive rep.

One last note: it's not bigotry to dislike someone for what they say. It's bigotry to dislike someone for something they can't help or their culture/religion.

I'll support cutting off foreign aide to Israel if we cut the $3 billion a year we also send to Egypt. See, the aide we send to both are due to the Camp David Accords sponsored by Carter. He and the democratically controlled Congress at the time approved it. People only bitch about the aide we send to Israel while ignoring the fact we send an equal amount to Egypt. What is good for the goosse is good for the gander. Cut aide off to both nations.

Forum List

Back