Combat Mission to Training Mission - Making a Difference

stand4canada

Rookie
Aug 9, 2011
My name is David Lewis and I am a Sub-Lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Navy. At present I am part of the coalition force stationed here at Camp Eggers, Kabul, Afghanistan. As a member of the NATO Training Mission I believe I have a unique perspective as only boot-on-the-ground can have.

The landscape here in Afghanistan is changing for the better, because it is changing from the inside out.
Indigenous leadership is developing with an attitude of ownership and accountability. Those whom until recently were being trained are now distinguishing themselves as adept and exemplary trainers.

Since the NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan was stood up over 21 months ago, we can say that developing the Afghan forces is well on track. There are 34 countries, under NATO command, which are dedicated and committed to ensuring that Afghanistan’s security institutions (Army, Air Force, and Police) are self-sufficient, self-sustaining, and enduring.

Over the past two years, an additional 113,000 Afghan soldiers and police have been trained and are working with 130,000 NATO. In seven areas of Afghanistan, encompassing 20 percent of the population, Afghan Army and Police are already leading security efforts. Local militias are integrating into the formal security structure; commerce is returning; and schools are opening. GDP has increased from $170 under the Taliban to $1,000 per capita in 2010, almost all Afghans now have access to basic health services (only nine percent did in 2002), school enrollment increased from 900,000 (mainly boys) to almost seven million (37 percent girls), and women now serve in government. Most of the country is now connected via mobile phones and highways. The powerful force of social media is altering the landscape as over one million Afghans have internet access and over 215,000 have facebook accounts. We have seen from recent world events what a powerful force social media can be.

As someone who is privileged to work within the NATO training mission I am pleased to see solid progress on a daily basis. Effective and capable Afghan leaders are assuming responsibility at all levels.

It is their attitude of stewardship for their own country which is the greatest source of encouragement. There is a long way to go, but every day, we are a little closer.

SLt David Lewis

My name is David Lewis and I am a Sub-Lieutenant in the Royal Canadian Navy. At present I am part of the coalition force stationed here at Camp Eggers, Kabul, Afghanistan. As a member of the NATO Training Mission I believe I have a unique perspective as only boot-on-the-ground can have.

The landscape here in Afghanistan is changing for the better, because it is changing from the inside out.
Indigenous leadership is developing with an attitude of ownership and accountability. Those whom until recently were being trained are now distinguishing themselves as adept and exemplary trainers.

Since the NATO Training Mission-Afghanistan was stood up over 21 months ago, we can say that developing the Afghan forces is well on track. There are 34 countries, under NATO command, which are dedicated and committed to ensuring that Afghanistan’s security institutions (Army, Air Force, and Police) are self-sufficient, self-sustaining, and enduring.

Over the past two years, an additional 113,000 Afghan soldiers and police have been trained and are working with 130,000 NATO. In seven areas of Afghanistan, encompassing 20 percent of the population, Afghan Army and Police are already leading security efforts. Local militias are integrating into the formal security structure; commerce is returning; and schools are opening. GDP has increased from $170 under the Taliban to $1,000 per capita in 2010, almost all Afghans now have access to basic health services (only nine percent did in 2002), school enrollment increased from 900,000 (mainly boys) to almost seven million (37 percent girls), and women now serve in government. Most of the country is now connected via mobile phones and highways. The powerful force of social media is altering the landscape as over one million Afghans have internet access and over 215,000 have facebook accounts. We have seen from recent world events what a powerful force social media can be.

As someone who is privileged to work within the NATO training mission I am pleased to see solid progress on a daily basis. Effective and capable Afghan leaders are assuming responsibility at all levels.

It is their attitude of stewardship for their own country which is the greatest source of encouragement. There is a long way to go, but every day, we are a little closer.

SLt David Lewis

Never understood what any Navy is doing in a land locked country.

Welcome to the board. I have a few questions for ya':

How do like losing control of your military to NATO?

Do any Canadian Forces help the Afghans grow opium (The USMC does)

Why did the Queen of England dissolve your Parliament?

SLt David Lewis

Planning on running for office when you get home?
(BTW thanks for you service to you country from a former US Navy man).

SLt David Lewis

Never understood what any Navy is doing in a land locked country.

Or in the air........ :eusa_whistle:

Lot's of Navy personnel never get to experience sea duty. My primary billet (MOS to you non Navy types) meant the number and type of ships I could be assigned to was extremely limited which is why I never saw a permanent assignment to any ship.

SLt David Lewis

Sixty years ago a Lt. would be court-martialed and probably executed for giving troop strength and other details to the enemy. I guess there are no secrets today.

This information is not only not a secret; it is something that both the Afghans and the NATO trainers and mentors from 34 countries are very proud of.

NTM-A, or NATO Training Mission - Afghanistan’s mission is to simultaneously grow the Afghan National Security Force and to develop its capacity and capability so it will continue to self-generate post-2014.

The October 2011 goal for the Afghan National Army is 171,600, and for the Afghan National Police is 134,000.

On an average there are 23,000 ANA soldiers in training per day, with 7,000 - 8,000 recruited per month. All 12 branch schools here are open. The ANP model of Recruit-Train-Assign is now in use and is mandatory for all recruits, who are trained from 6-8 weeks.
As of August 2011 their numbers are a proud 135,000.

Quantity is important but quality is imperative. There are 2,100 Afghan trainers leading training and growing to 5K in the next 12 months. ANSF are trained at 70 sites in 21 provinces.

Investment in human capital is key to the ANSF becoming an effective, professional, and enduring force. We are at an important time as we see the Afghans taking pride and ownership in their own institutions. The success they are achieving, as the trainers and mentors step back, is incredible.

This is not a secret. Their achievements, dedication and commitment should be broadcast everywhere.

There is something to be said about taking a step back and looking at the whole picture. Being on the ground and involved, things can look promising and in the military you get indoctrinated that everything is going to plan and all that. The tactical view so to speak. Taking a strategic view from a military and a political perspective can be quite different than the tactical.

Forum List

Back