Columbia offers ‘Occupy 101’

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
Does getting pepper-sprayed count as extra credit?

Columbia University is offering a new course on Occupy Wall Street next semester — sending upperclassmen and grad students into the field for full course credit.

The class is taught by Dr. Hannah Appel, who boasts about her nights camped out in Zuccotti Park.

As many as 30 students will be expected to get involved in ongoing OWS projects outside the classroom, the syllabus says.

Read more: Columbia University professor to teach class on Occupy Wall Street - NYPOST.com

I wonder if they have to sign a waiver limiting liability in the event of rape, STDs, or fecal-borne diseases. :cuckoo:

:lol:

I wonder if they know that the Cub and Boy Scouts of America can do a better job?

Set up tents, fire building, cleaning up, loyalty, honor, dignity.

oh wait

The last three need a link to dictionary.com and a few examples for the mentally libtarded.

Seriously though, Columbia is officially off my childrens list of schools.

I wonder how many of their alumni and donors are in the 1 percent. I wonder how many of those parents paying 50K agree they should be eaten. My folks taught me never to bite the hand that feeds you. Guess they don't teach that at Columbia.

I wonder how many of their alumni and donors are in the 1 percent. I wonder how many of those parents paying 50K agree they should be eaten. My folks taught me never to bite the hand that feeds you. Guess they don't teach that at Columbia.

Funny thing, many of those kids are there b/c of grant money.

That's like shooting the man that sells you ammo.

Columbia University is offering a new course on Occupy Wall Street next semester — sending upperclassmen and grad students into the field for full course credit.

The class is taught by Dr. Hannah Appel, who boasts about her nights camped out in Zuccotti Park.

As many as 30 students will be expected to get involved in ongoing OWS projects outside the classroom, the syllabus says.

Read more: Columbia University professor to teach class on Occupy Wall Street - NYPOST.com

I wonder if they have to sign a waiver limiting liability in the event of rape, STDs, or fecal-borne diseases. :cuckoo:
And leftist academia wonders why normal people laugh at them.

I wonder if they know that the Cub and Boy Scouts of America can do a better job?

oh wait

The last three need a link to dictionary.com and a few examples for the mentally libtarded.

You have a chance to actually go to any of the sites? I did. Zucotti park was remarkably clean and well organized. And you'd probably be surprised to learn that places like Chase bank offered their restroom facilities up to protesters.

Why is that?

Ah..so..studying large social movements, such as protests and the like isn't a viable topic.

What other things are "laughable". Reading? Writing? Science?

Try getting a job with THAT in your CV.

"Don't call us, we'll call you. NEXT!"

paper%20wad%20ball%20into%20trash%20can%20throwing%20shooting.jpg

Ah..so..studying large social movements, such as protests and the like isn't a viable topic.

This isn't anthropology -- it's political activism.

You went to college right?

When I went there were courses offered in the Social Sciences that examined Rhetorical strategies used for and against wars, urban poverty, media manipulation of the news and all sorts of things.

It seems entirely valid to understand why big protest movements happen. It would be just as valid to study the Tea Party as well.

You went to college right?

When I went there were courses offered in the Social Sciences that examined Rhetorical strategies used for and against wars, urban poverty, media manipulation of the news and all sorts of things.

It seems entirely valid to understand why big protest movements happen. It would be just as valid to study the Tea Party as well.
When Prof Appel gives course credit for attending conservative rallies, she'll have some credibility.

I thought this was interesting. It's the only course in that content area that prohibits open registration to the 99% that apply. :badgrin:

ANTH V3897y Occupy the Field: Global Finance, Inequality, Social Movement 4 pts. Hannah Appel. Occupy the Field is a field-based course about Occupy Wall Street and the Occupy Movement more broadly. The course offers training in ethnographi research methods alongside a critical exploration of the conjunctural issues in the Occupy movement: Wall Street, finance capital, and inequality; political strategies, property and public space, and the question of anarchy; and genealogies of the contemporary moment in global social movements. Class time will be divided between fieldwork in an around the Occupy movement, and seminar at Columbia. In other words, this class will meet off-campus several times, and students will be expected to be involved in ongoing OWS projects, to be discussed in class. While the syllabus draws extensively on ethnographic and anthropological work, it is also broadly interdisciplinary, incorporating texts and approaches from sociology, political theory, economics, history, and primary source material from OWS and beyond. The class will also incorporate guest lecturers from Columbia and the wider intellectual and activist community. Dissenting voices of all kinds are encouraged in this class, and one need not have a particular orientation toward OWS to participate. REGISTRATION BY INSTRUCTOR'S PERMISSION ONLY

Gee - I wonder if she will allow her lectures to be taped - lest someone accuse her of advocating revolution. (chanel made another funny) :lol:

I see it now...

Employer: What do you have degree in?

loser: I have a PhD in being a professional bum.

Employer: And where do you see your strengths being applied?

loser: I can help everyone get money for nothing and causing trouble.

For a college or university to even consider offering a course such as this says much about what is wrong with education in America.

I thought this was interesting. It's the only course in that content area that prohibits open registration to the 99% that apply. :badgrin:

ANTH V3897y Occupy the Field: Global Finance, Inequality, Social Movement 4 pts. Hannah Appel. Occupy the Field is a field-based course about Occupy Wall Street and the Occupy Movement more broadly. The course offers training in ethnographi research methods alongside a critical exploration of the conjunctural issues in the Occupy movement: Wall Street, finance capital, and inequality; political strategies, property and public space, and the question of anarchy; and genealogies of the contemporary moment in global social movements. Class time will be divided between fieldwork in an around the Occupy movement, and seminar at Columbia. In other words, this class will meet off-campus several times, and students will be expected to be involved in ongoing OWS projects, to be discussed in class. While the syllabus draws extensively on ethnographic and anthropological work, it is also broadly interdisciplinary, incorporating texts and approaches from sociology, political theory, economics, history, and primary source material from OWS and beyond. The class will also incorporate guest lecturers from Columbia and the wider intellectual and activist community. Dissenting voices of all kinds are encouraged in this class, and one need not have a particular orientation toward OWS to participate. REGISTRATION BY INSTRUCTOR'S PERMISSION ONLY

Gee - I wonder if she will allow her lectures to be taped - lest someone accuse her of advocating revolution. (chanel made another funny) :lol:
And you know each hand-picked student will be a loyal leftist. No conservatives allowed. Sounds like discrimination to me.

Partisan political activism. And they receive Federal funds.

And don't forget, Columbia hosted famed homophobe and Holocaust denier Ahmadinejad.

If there's a bigger bastion of the supposed 1% than an Ivy League school in Manhattan's Morningside Heights, I don't know what it would be! :rofl:

I am sure that they offered a course on the Tea Party two years ago, didn't they?

oh wait

You have a chance to actually go to any of the sites? I did. Zucotti park was remarkably clean and well organized. And you'd probably be surprised to learn that places like Chase bank offered their restroom facilities up to protesters.

Remarkably clean and well organized compared to what? I have been to barrios where the residents live on dumps and collect the refuse to eat and sell that were cleaner and better organized than that camp.

By the way, if the camps were clean and well organized why would places like Chase need to offer their restrooms? Most camps I have been to planned ahead and provided sufficient restroom facilities.

Forum List

Back