Colorblind racism

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
WTF? I am a racist because I don't pay attention to race? But if I do pay attention I am still a racist?

Keep it up, you guys are going to loose the debate even if conservatives go to sleep.

Colorblind racism is the new normal in American conservative political thought. Well after the election of the nation's first African-American president, in 2012 Republican candidates are using egregious signals and dog whistles to incite racial divisiveness as an effective tool for political gain. But when confronted about the nature of their offensive rhetoric, the answer is either an innocuous denial or dismissive retort.

It is curious that people bold enough to make outlandish racial claims never admit guilt or receive a proverbial trial and conviction by the greater populace. Paul Rosenberg, a political contributor to Al-Jazeera, recently explained that this curious phenomenon of "racism without racists" has become de facto in today's political discourse and is best described as "colorblind racism."

First explored in the book Racism Without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, a professor of sociology at Duke University, the concept explains much of the Republican strategy to defeat Barack Obama, using race as a wedge issue. Bonilla-Silva defined colorblind racism as a racial ideology that expresses itself in seemingly nonracial terms. As such, it is most practiced by people who never see themselves outside their own myopic worldview.

Colorblind Racism: A Popular Strategy With the GOP

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
WTF? I am a racist because I don't pay attention to race? But if I do pay attention I am still a racist?

Keep it up, you guys are going to loose the debate even if conservatives go to sleep.

Colorblind racism is the new normal in American conservative political thought. Well after the election of the nation's first African-American president, in 2012 Republican candidates are using egregious signals and dog whistles to incite racial divisiveness as an effective tool for political gain. But when confronted about the nature of their offensive rhetoric, the answer is either an innocuous denial or dismissive retort.

It is curious that people bold enough to make outlandish racial claims never admit guilt or receive a proverbial trial and conviction by the greater populace. Paul Rosenberg, a political contributor to Al-Jazeera, recently explained that this curious phenomenon of "racism without racists" has become de facto in today's political discourse and is best described as "colorblind racism."

First explored in the book Racism Without Racists: Color-Blind Racism and the Persistence of Racial Inequality in the United States by Eduardo Bonilla-Silva, a professor of sociology at Duke University, the concept explains much of the Republican strategy to defeat Barack Obama, using race as a wedge issue. Bonilla-Silva defined colorblind racism as a racial ideology that expresses itself in seemingly nonracial terms. As such, it is most practiced by people who never see themselves outside their own myopic worldview.

What they are trying to say is that individualism is dead. (And they don't recognize it). [As of course they still try to claim the mantle of Dr. King, whom shined the true light of the individual so many decades ago].

Last edited:

lol Quotes experts from Al Jazzera as a source.

You guys are to rich. You try and change the Very Definition of words to fit your Bigoted View of anyone not Liberal Enough for your tastes.

lol Quotes experts from Al Jazzera as a source.

You guys are to rich. You try and change the Very Definition of words to fit your Bigoted View of anyone not Liberal Enough for your tastes.
Yep.

I haven't read the book, but it seems to define "colorblind racism" as that subset of racism that doesn't explicitly invoke race. Are the people in this thread who seem to dislike the book suggesting that such a thing ("colorblind racism") doesn't exist, or is there some more subtle point to which you object?

That is what I hear.

You're supposed to always pay attention to someone's color to make sure that you change your figures of speech in case something you might say could be considered racist when said to or about a person of color.

And when talking to or about a person of color, you're supposed to talk more slowly to make sure that you have time to consider everything you are saying so that you can catch it in time to change it.

Because if you treat people of color the same way you treat white people you are being racist.

Or so some say.

Who is truly "colorblind"? I hear some conservatives state that they "don't see color", yet the people they support certainly do "see color" (see the comments by gingrich and santorum). Right now, you have gingrich and Romney pandering to Hispanics in Florida, but nooo they don't practice "identity politics" and "they don't pander to different racial or ethnic groups". It's a CROCK OF SHIT.

What's wrong with "seeing color or different ethnic groups"? Why does someone have to "tolerate" another person of a different, race, color, or creed?

That is what I hear.

You're supposed to always pay attention to someone's color to make sure that you change your figures of speech in case something you might say could be considered racist when said to or about a person of color.

And when talking to or about a person of color, you're supposed to talk more slowly to make sure that you have time to consider everything you are saying so that you can catch it in time to change it.

Because if you treat people of color the same way you treat white people you are being racist.

Or so some say.

A number of people in this thread have seemed to interpret the (in my opinion poorly-coined) phrase "colorblind racism" to mean that the author is asserting that to ignore race is racist. My understanding from the article is that he is making the much milder claim that something which does not invoke race explicitly *may* (not must) be racist.

For example, the article notes that opposition to the DREAM act is fueled at least partly (the article implies largely) by racial animus, despite not explicitly invoking race. The logic no doubt follows from the fact that the DREAM act would benefit one race more than others. In contrast, however, I doubt the author would find significant racial implications to, say, Gingrich's calls for a moon mission. That is, some but not all political positions that do not explicitly invoke race are nevertheless racist.

And I must say that I have never heard anyone suggest that one ought to speak slowly when addressing a person of color.

That is what I hear.

Or so some say.

A number of people in this thread have seemed to interpret the (in my opinion poorly-coined) phrase "colorblind racism" to mean that the author is asserting that to ignore race is racist. My understanding from the article is that he is making the much milder claim that something which does not invoke race explicitly *may* (not must) be racist.

For example, the article notes that opposition to the DREAM act is fueled at least partly (the article implies largely) by racial animus, despite not explicitly invoking race. The logic no doubt follows from the fact that the DREAM act would benefit one race more than others. In contrast, however, I doubt the author would find significant racial implications to, say, Gingrich's calls for a moon mission. That is, some but not all political positions that do not explicitly invoke race are nevertheless racist.

And I must say that I have never heard anyone suggest that one ought to speak slowly when addressing a person of color.

Thank you as always for your cogent explanation.

p.s., I have never heard anyone say explicitly that one ought to speak more slowly when addressing a person of color. However, by saying that we must examine our everyday figures of speech to make sure that they can't be construed in a negative way when we speak to or about a person of color, they are saying that most of us will need to take more time before we speak to or about a person of color.

Instead of communicating in a natural manner, we must consciously filter all of our words. For most of us that will require that we speak more slowly.

p.s., I have never heard anyone say explicitly that one ought to speak more slowly when addressing a person of color. However, by saying that we must examine our everyday figures of speech to make sure that they can't be construed in a negative way when we speak to or about a person of color, they are saying that most of us will need to take more time before we speak to or about a person of color.

Instead of communicating in a natural manner, we must consciously filter all of our words. For most of us that will require that we speak more slowly.

I apologize. I seem to have misunderstood you. I generally have a hard time detecting irony, etc. in text-based communication.

Personally, I like filtering my words. That's one of the reasons I like text-based communications, since I can take as much time as I like to edit myself. Of course I realize that speaking naturally rather than obsessively trying to avoid giving offense is a healthier mode of communication.

I apologize. I seem to have misunderstood you. I generally have a hard time detecting irony, etc. in text-based communication.

Personally, I like filtering my words. That's one of the reasons I like text-based communications, since I can take as much time as I like to edit myself. Of course I realize that speaking naturally rather than obsessively trying to avoid giving offense is a healthier mode of communication.

I hadn't read the article when I first posted. I just let my annoyance spill over from another thread where we were being told fairly explicitly that we were supposed to pay attention to color and treat people of color differently. Which to me seems backwards, and much inferior to a practice of giving people the benefit of the doubt about idiomatic figures of speech in most instances. :confused:

It's an interesting article.

If I were a liberal I might believe there to be or suspect there to be more racism in the opposition to the Dream Act than I concede as a conservative.

And I would be frustrated at conservatives for not seeming to care enough about the negative impact their polices have on minority populations. The generational effect of the disproportionate incarceration of blacks and Hispanics disturbs me personally and I would vote to give back voting rights to people who have fully served their time. If I were a liberal I'd do my best try to raise awareness about how vulnerable populations are affected.

Hopefully I wouldn't accuse conservatives of having "racial animus" because that is just not helpful. Accusations of racism have done way more harm than good - at least if the goal of the accusers was progress and not scoring partisan points.

For example, claiming that conservatives opposed Obama's healthcare legislation because Obama is black was not a good way for Obama's supporters to help him have a successful presidency. And claiming that not wanting to reward past illegal activity or encourage future illegal activity is actually hidden racism is also not very smart if anyone actually wants to get a Dream Act passed and doesn't want to keep nonpassage available as way to gin up anger among various voting blocs.

You gotta be kidding. Does today's left really think Al Jazzera is an authority about racism? Next thing we will see the muslem brotherhood giving an opinion about women's rights.

I generally speak slower and enunciate my words more clearly when talking to a liberal / progressive listener.

Because their minds have been conditioned to only process words and thoughts that sync with their pre-programed mind set and ideology.

It always brings me great personal joy when after talking to one of them.

They sometimes will say: "I never thought of it that way."

There is nothing quite like watching a person take their first baby steps in breaking from the mental prison of liberalism. :eusa_angel:

Last edited:
Racism is when one thinks a race is inferior and discriminates against them, not these new Pub/Rush/Fox crappe theories...like discussing how races vote or feel, or pointing out racists.

Last edited:
There is nothing quite like watching a person take their first baby steps in breaking from the mental prison of liberalism. :eusa_angel:

It's kind of like taking off your wife's burqa and allowing her to step outside for the first time.

Watch out lefties, posting Soros stuff everyday will make you dumber than you already are. It was the democrat party that fought against the Civil Rights Law. Al Gore's father senator Gore (D-Tn) was a typical segregationist. Democrat left wing media types created cartoons showing Dr. Condie Rice dressed in insulting slave garb with a distorted face because they didn't like the fact that a Black woman was appointed Secretary of State by a republican President.

Forum List

Back