Colorblind racism

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    WTF? I am a racist because I don't pay attention to race? But if I do pay attention I am still a racist?

Keep it up, you guys are going to loose the debate even if conservatives go to sleep.

Colorblind Racism: A Popular Strategy With the GOP

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    What they are trying to say is that individualism is dead. (And they don't recognize it). [As of course they still try to claim the mantle of Dr. King, whom shined the true light of the individual so many decades ago].

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  3. Charles_Main

Charles_Main AR15 Owner

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,251

lol Quotes experts from Al Jazzera as a source.

You guys are to rich. You try and change the Very Definition of words to fit your Bigoted View of anyone not Liberal Enough for your tastes.

4. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    "Colorblind Racism" is the biggest load of liberal manure I have ever heard.

It takes a really sick mind to come up with such nonsense.

And an even sicker mind to agree with it.. :cuckoo:

5. The T

The T George S. Patton Party Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    What USED TO BE A REPUBLIC RUN BY TYRANTS
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Yep.

6. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    I haven't read the book, but it seems to define "colorblind racism" as that subset of racism that doesn't explicitly invoke race. Are the people in this thread who seem to dislike the book suggesting that such a thing ("colorblind racism") doesn't exist, or is there some more subtle point to which you object?

7. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

That is what I hear.

You're supposed to always pay attention to someone's color to make sure that you change your figures of speech in case something you might say could be considered racist when said to or about a person of color.

And when talking to or about a person of color, you're supposed to talk more slowly to make sure that you have time to consider everything you are saying so that you can catch it in time to change it.

Because if you treat people of color the same way you treat white people you are being racist.

Or so some say.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  8. Pheonixops

Pheonixops Proud Liberal

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864
    Who is truly "colorblind"? I hear some conservatives state that they "don't see color", yet the people they support certainly do "see color" (see the comments by gingrich and santorum). Right now, you have gingrich and Romney pandering to Hispanics in Florida, but nooo they don't practice "identity politics" and "they don't pander to different racial or ethnic groups". It's a CROCK OF SHIT.

What's wrong with "seeing color or different ethnic groups"? Why does someone have to "tolerate" another person of a different, race, color, or creed?

9. ladyliberal

ladyliberal Progressive Princess

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +291
    A number of people in this thread have seemed to interpret the (in my opinion poorly-coined) phrase "colorblind racism" to mean that the author is asserting that to ignore race is racist. My understanding from the article is that he is making the much milder claim that something which does not invoke race explicitly *may* (not must) be racist.

For example, the article notes that opposition to the DREAM act is fueled at least partly (the article implies largely) by racial animus, despite not explicitly invoking race. The logic no doubt follows from the fact that the DREAM act would benefit one race more than others. In contrast, however, I doubt the author would find significant racial implications to, say, Gingrich's calls for a moon mission. That is, some but not all political positions that do not explicitly invoke race are nevertheless racist.

And I must say that I have never heard anyone suggest that one ought to speak slowly when addressing a person of color.

10. Amelia

Amelia BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,119

Thank you as always for your cogent explanation.

p.s., I have never heard anyone say explicitly that one ought to speak more slowly when addressing a person of color. However, by saying that we must examine our everyday figures of speech to make sure that they can't be construed in a negative way when we speak to or about a person of color, they are saying that most of us will need to take more time before we speak to or about a person of color.

Instead of communicating in a natural manner, we must consciously filter all of our words. For most of us that will require that we speak more slowly.