Colorado Private Prisons Inmates Raise Tilapia

I find it interesting.

really ?

interesting?

slave labor is interesting?

govt granting one company to unfairly compete with everyone else is interesting>?

private prisons in america, shame shame shame
Fascists like Rabbi are all for it.

I saw make eveything illegal, arrest everyone and have them work in prison. That way we'll have 100% Employment and businesses can be competitive!

That's the New Freedom.

but you are voting for Ron Paul, so you are almost as confused as they are...

I say make eveything illegal, arrest everyone and have them work in prison. That way we'll have 100% Employment and businesses can be competitive!

That's the New Freedom.

Mad Shithead, these prisoners don't produce enough fish to cover their expenses. So, there's absolutely no incentive for us to make up new reasons to arrest people for the labor. Besides, as corrupt as our lawmakers are, they're not so corrupt to do something like that... except for maybe the Jews you vote for.

It's completely reasonable (so you wouldn't understand) that prisoners be productive to help pay for the cost of holding them. It's also good for their rehabilitation.

I say make eveything illegal, arrest everyone and have them work in prison. That way we'll have 100% Employment and businesses can be competitive!

That's the New Freedom.

Mad Shithead, these prisoners don't produce enough fish to cover their expenses. So, there's absolutely no incentive for us to make up new reasons to arrest people for the labor. Besides, as corrupt as our lawmakers are, they're not so corrupt to do something like that... except for maybe the Jews you vote for.

It's completely reasonable (so you wouldn't understand) that prisoners be productive to help pay for the cost of holding them. It's also good for their rehabilitation.

Honestly I can't tell which of you is crazier.

Inmates in real Correctional Institutions, the ones with trained personnel, have been raising livestock, farming, and fabricating for DECADES. In Florida the program is called PRIDE. Rick "the VULTURE" Scott hates it, he wants private prisons so his supporters can leech off of the state.

Is there anything better than cheap labor?

When the cheap labor is being used to drive private businesses out of business; yes there are a great many things better than cheap labor.

I couldn't find where 'cheap labor' is driving anyone out of business from your links.

Many prisons actually send former inmates a bill after incarceration. If inmates are paying for their stay by working, I don't see an issue. It's not cheap labor, all of the costs of fish farming have not been factored in. Focusing on only one cost doesn't show the whole financial picture.

Inmates are also learning skills. That is a plus, IMO, rather than jail them and boot them only to have a large majority re-incarcerated.
Recidivism effects everyone, including family.

I remember one year a farmer from Colorado had his crops dying in the field. He made a deal with the state. The state provided inmates to work and the crops were saved.
It was a choice for each inmate if they wanted to work.
None of the inmates complained, in fact some of the inmates were grateful that they learned a skill other than prostitution or dealing drugs.

The prison doesn't produce enough tilapia to effect the market any more than if any small company entered the market. So, the other fish suppliers are crying over nothing that we should care about.

I would object of there was an intent or effect of lowering the market price of the fish, but it doesn't. I would object if this cost taxpayer money, but it saves the taxpayer money.

Candy Corn, I wopuld have to agree with you. I do think the inmates should be working, but not putting private enterprises out of work because of the price difference. If the prison was charging the same amount for the product that the other companies were charging, it would be fine. Then it would be competetive and whoever had the best product or service would survive.

Candy Corn, I wopuld have to agree with you. I do think the inmates should be working, but not putting private enterprises out of work because of the price difference. If the prison was charging the same amount for the product that the other companies were charging, it would be fine. Then it would be competetive and whoever had the best product or service would survive.

They are charging the same price.

Any work prisoners could do would also be in competition with others.

Do you even try to think before you talk?

How many private fish farms are in competition in Co? Personally I find the fish to be tasteless and relatively mushy but that's just me.

What a shame that the poor widdle babies have to work.

Well, thats not the point. You'd have a bit more influence here if you tried to get informed before spouting off.

The point is that a private prison is using prison labor to produce material and sell it. They are profiting off of paying their prisoners $0.60 a day. If they were making license plates or other goods that would be one thing but these prisoners are raising fish to sell on the market. The fish farm down the street from you cannot compete with that sort of wage scale--they; by law, have to pay more than $0.60 a day.

It's .60 cents a day PLUS room and board and medical treatment and everything else. In any case so what? The prison is not making a profit on the operation, nor do they need to. For once in their lives the prisoners are doing something productive and might even get a work ethic in the process. The customers love getting cut rate tilapia and they can spend the savings on something else. the competition might want to try raising trout instead.

Yeah maybe the prisons could be located in the gulf and the prisoners can start drilling for oil... I would love getting cut rate oil. Maybe Exxon and Anadarko can start drilling for magma.

Is there anything better than cheap labor?

When the cheap labor is being used to drive private businesses out of business; yes there are a great many things better than cheap labor.

I couldn't find where 'cheap labor' is driving anyone out of business from your links.

Many prisons actually send former inmates a bill after incarceration. If inmates are paying for their stay by working, I don't see an issue. It's not cheap labor, all of the costs of fish farming have not been factored in. Focusing on only one cost doesn't show the whole financial picture.

Inmates are also learning skills. That is a plus, IMO, rather than jail them and boot them only to have a large majority re-incarcerated.

I remember one year a farmer from Colorado had his crops dying in the field. He made a deal with the state. The state provided inmates to work and the crops were saved.
None of the inmates complained, in fact some of the inmates were grateful that they learned a skill other than prostitution or dealing drugs.

I'm sure that CNBC will be re-broadcasting it, it's called "Billions Behind Bars." I thought it was going to be about Madoff and Stafford and the like. Anyway, they talked to this guy who runs a competitor. He was feeling it.

The inmates, to your point, love it. Which is fine and they are learning a trade. But if the prison, for example, only used their bounty to feed other prisons/prisoners etc... that would be fine. Instead of selling the stuff to Whole Foods as the prison does.

How many private fish farms are in competition in Co? Personally I find the fish to be tasteless and relatively mushy but that's just me.

Probably not that many which is probably why it was lucrative for those that were there to go into business and also probably why it was lucrative for the prison to offer that as a "jobs skill" instead of making brooms or stamping out license plates.

I'm sure that CNBC will be re-broadcasting it, it's called "Billions Behind Bars." I thought it was going to be about Madoff and Stafford and the like. Anyway, they talked to this guy who runs a competitor. He was feeling it.

The inmates, to your point, love it. Which is fine and they are learning a trade. But if the prison, for example, only used their bounty to feed other prisons/prisoners etc... that would be fine. Instead of selling the stuff to Whole Foods as the prison does.
I actually did catch it (pun not intended) a few nights ago.
Inmates also train dogs which are sold. One guy built gorgeous birdhouses.
It's not the prisons bounty.
The man, whose name I can't recall, does not own the prisons in the documentary. The prisons are state prisons. I see no issue with inmates selling product to pay for their incarceration rather than have the taxpayer foot the bill for their bad behavior.

That's the New Freedom.

The state, that means you, pays the private prison. All those people in competition with the slave labor of prisoners (60 cents a day?) are also paying to have their livelihood destroyed.

The american way?

Hello and good evening.

I'm watching this documentary on CNBC about this private prison in Colorado. The owner of the prison has inmates raising tilapia (which is a fish). Convict labor raises the fish, harvests the fish, cleans the fish, and they sell them at Whole Foods Markets in Colorado.

Prisoners make about $0.60 a DAY.

Needless to say that other fish farms in the State are having trouble competing.

For whatever reason, I found this shocking.

good, make them pay room and board too

Forum List

Back