Colorado Private Prisons Inmates Raise Tilapia

candycorn

Diamond Member
Aug 25, 2009
Deep State Plant.
Hello and good evening.

I'm watching this documentary on CNBC about this private prison in Colorado. The owner of the prison has inmates raising tilapia (which is a fish). Convict labor raises the fish, harvests the fish, cleans the fish, and they sell them at Whole Foods Markets in Colorado.

Prisoners make about $0.60 a DAY.

Needless to say that other fish farms in the State are having trouble competing.

For whatever reason, I found this shocking.

you mean private copmpanies are using their prison contracts to get slave labor to unfairly compete with companies who pay free americans? Isn't this the Romney plan for the government, privatise everything and then allow for companies to do whatever they want with no regulation?

America has a few choices, pay taxes to have prisons where we keep people for smoking joints, give up stupid moral laws which overcrowd our prison systems with non-criminals, or move to china or get arrested if they want a job.

Hello and good evening.

I'm watching this documentary on CNBC about this private prison in Colorado. The owner of the prison has inmates raising tilapia (which is a fish). Convict labor raises the fish, harvests the fish, cleans the fish, and they sell them at Whole Foods Markets in Colorado.

Needless to say that other fish farms in the State are having trouble competing.

Link?

Hello and good evening.

Link?

This is a link to one of the segments of the show:

Prison Labor -- Colorado's Canon City - CNBC

I couldn't get it to play but our internet here at work is screwey. Here is a link to the show's homepage on CNBC:

News Headlines

you mean private copmpanies are using their prison contracts to get slave labor to unfairly compete with companies who pay free americans? Isn't this the Romney plan for the government, privatise everything and then allow for companies to do whatever they want with no regulation?

America has a few choices, pay taxes to have prisons where we keep people for smoking joints, give up stupid moral laws which overcrowd our prison systems with non-criminals, or move to china or get arrested if they want a job.

I don't know where the Governor is on this...privitization doesn't mean "slave" labor. However, it is clear that the prison industry is banking on a steady stream of customers and I did hear that programs the Governor supports--the immigration statutes in Alabama and Arizona--were strongly supported by the private prison corporations.

Slave labor is wonderful. It's the best thing for prisoners to earn their keep and it's the only thing Afros are qualified for. The competition should move on to something they can do better.

Slave labor is wonderful. It's the best thing for prisoners to earn their keep and it's the only thing Afros are qualified for. The competition should move on to something they can do better.

You aren't even qualified to lick the mud off my boots rookie.

Google "State Prisoner Labor" and see how Caring and Compassionate Liberal States use prison labor to close budget gaps.

Suck It Liberals! Hypocracy much?

What a shame that the poor widdle babies have to work.

Well, thats not the point. You'd have a bit more influence here if you tried to get informed before spouting off.

The point is that a private prison is using prison labor to produce material and sell it. They are profiting off of paying their prisoners $0.60 a day. If they were making license plates or other goods that would be one thing but these prisoners are raising fish to sell on the market. The fish farm down the street from you cannot compete with that sort of wage scale--they; by law, have to pay more than $0.60 a day.

Well, thats not the point. You'd have a bit more influence here if you tried to get informed before spouting off.

The point is that a private prison is using prison labor to produce material and sell it. They are profiting off of paying their prisoners $0.60 a day. If they were making license plates or other goods that would be one thing but these prisoners are raising fish to sell on the market. The fish farm down the street from you cannot compete with that sort of wage scale--they; by law, have to pay more than $0.60 a day.

It's .60 cents a day PLUS room and board and medical treatment and everything else. In any case so what? The prison is not making a profit on the operation, nor do they need to. For once in their lives the prisoners are doing something productive and might even get a work ethic in the process. The customers love getting cut rate tilapia and they can spend the savings on something else. the competition might want to try raising trout instead.

It might be better to give then actual skills that would make them marketable in the real world.

With a prison record..you'd have to have something very unique.

I saw a prison program that taught prisoners how to weld underwater.

Smart move.

I find it interesting.

really ?

interesting?

slave labor is interesting?

govt granting one company to unfairly compete with everyone else is interesting>?

private prisons in america, shame shame shame

Last edited:
I find it interesting.

really ?

interesting?

slave labor is interesting?

govt granting one company to unfairly compete with everyone else is interesting>?

private prisons in america, shame shame shame
Fascists like Rabbi are all for it.

I say make eveything illegal, arrest everyone and have them work in prison. That way we'll have 100% Employment and businesses can be competitive!

That's the New Freedom.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back