Colonoscopy Prep

Look on the bright side, for one day in your life, your not full of sh*t!

I got the Miralax.

Thanks for the replies.

How about acceptable non-solids for Thursday? Any ideas besides Gatorade, jello and ice pops?
Beer.

My dad got pills to take instead of the Miralax or the other liquids. It's not offered everywhere, though.

I survived.

Three polyps removed. No other issues.

Besides one incompetent nurse screwing up the IV.......didn't feel a thing.
Uh-oh. Polyps means you have to go in more often. Did they tell you next year, or 5 more years?

I survived.

YAY! Good news.

well i dont complain about hitting good veins for IV's... mine are not were they are supposed to be. Last time... 6 sticks and hunting for a vein with a sonogram... they got one in.

They are doing a biopsy. Will take a week or so to get results. My guess is every three years. There is a history of colon cancer in my family.

The good news.......a polyp takes years to develop into cancer....so if I just stay on top of it.....should be good to go.

Overall....the prep wasn't all that bad. The procedure never happened as far as I am concerned. Like a short nap. Even doing it yearly wouldn't bum me out too much.

I survived.

YAY! Good news.

well i dont complain about hitting good veins for IV's... mine are not were they are supposed to be. Last time... 6 sticks and hunting for a vein with a sonogram... they got one in.

i'm kind of lucky in that respect. they can find veins on me without even puting that strap on

Overall....the prep wasn't all that bad. The procedure never happened as far as I am concerned. Like a short nap. Even doing it yearly wouldn't bum me out too much.

I am so glad to hear that you did well...I'll keep my fingers crossed that they're (polyps) benign. :)

I had waited too long to get checked because I was only 26 at the time...we knew I had some sort of obstruction due to the fact that I couldn't pass any waste or even gas for that matter...but we never imagined that it was cancer...let alone Colon cancer.
I was given a poor prognosis at the time....chemo....

It's a VERY lengthy story, so I will spare you the ugly details.

I made it though...had to get checked every six months after the surgery...then to just yearly...I'm due again next Spring....the last doc said (as I was coming to) that my colon looked 'remarkable'...due to the fact that my colorectal surgeon had done a magnificint job removing over 75 percent of my colon and putting everything back together without the need for a colostomy...he promised me that while I was on that table looking at him as I went under...he kept his promise.

12 years ago in September I was given maybe 15 months of survival....well, lol...here I am. :eusa_angel:

Good thoughts and good luck Lone..:eusa_angel:

I am so glad to hear that you did well...I'll keep my fingers crossed that they're (polyps) benign. :)

I had waited too long to get checked because I was only 26 at the time...we knew I had some sort of obstruction due to the fact that I couldn't pass any waste or even gas for that matter...but we never imagined that it was cancer...let alone Colon cancer.
I was given a poor prognosis at the time....chemo....

It's a VERY lengthy story, so I will spare you the ugly details.

I made it though...had to get checked every six months after the surgery...then to just yearly...I'm due again next Spring....the last doc said (as I was coming to) that my colon looked 'remarkable'...due to the fact that my colorectal surgeon had done a magnificint job removing over 75 percent of my colon and putting everything back together without the need for a colostomy...he promised me that while I was on that table looking at him as I went under...he kept his promise.

12 years ago in September I was given maybe 15 months of survival....well, lol...here I am. :eusa_angel:

Good thoughts and good luck Lone..:eusa_angel:

sorry you had to go through that but awesome news on the outcome

I survived.

Good. I've had eight colonoscopies since my surgery and each time two or three polyps are removed. It's good to get rid of them because they are what eventually become malignant.

There are three parts of the colonoscopy; the prep, the IV, and the procedure. As you've learned the prep is much worse than the actual procedure. But when an incompetent serologist attaches the IV it can be the worst part of the total experience.

In my experience the needle is inserted in the back of the hand, which is sensitive. An experienced serologist can insert the needle in one quick try and all you feel is a slight pinch. But an inexperienced serologist can miss the vein several times and cause a lot of unnecessary pain. On one occasion, after three tries I said that's all and refused to allow the incompetent woman to try again. So the anesthesiologist had to do it. He was very aggressive, it hurt like hell and the back of my hand was one big sore and purple bruise for days.

So if one is needle-phobic, as I am, the IV can turn out to be worse than the prep.

Last edited:
I survived.

Good. I've had eight colonoscopies since my surgery and each time two or three polyps are removed. It's good to get rid of them because they are what eventually become malignant.

There are three parts of the colonoscopy; the prep, the IV, and the procedure. As you've learned the prep is much worse than the actual procedure. But when an incompetent serologist attaches the IV it can be the worst part of the total experience.

In my experience the needle is inserted in the back of the hand, which is sensitive. An experienced serologist can insert the needle in one quick try and all you feel is a slight pinch. But an inexperienced serologist can miss the vein several times and cause a lot of unnecessary pain. On one occasion, after three tries I said that's all and refused to allow the incompetent woman to try again. So the anesthesiologist had to do it. He was very aggressive, it hurt like hell and the back of my hand was one big sore and purple bruise for days.

So if one is needle-phobic, as I am, the IV can turn out to be worse than the prep.

I don't know how to quote single sentences or paragraphs yet...so please bear with me.
I know what you mean about the needles....did you have a port inserted?
I got poked so much that by the time I started chemo I had to have a port inserted above my left breast because all my vains had collapsed...the needle that is used to insert the port is the worst..I had to put this numbing cream two hours prior to get stuck and attached to the IV pole...that frickin' needle was a needle shaped like a giant fish hook...hollow and a bit wide...but, I had pain meds and smoked weed sometimes before and def after to curb the nausea.....................that's a whole 'nother story and topic...lol. :eusa_shifty:

I survived.

The dude strapped me off, had a very visible vein on the back of my hand to work with....and proceeded to miss it twice. The second time he wasn't sure he missed....and he attached to the IV tube.....and we both watched the area around the vein swell up. It looked like something was living under my skin. I was not a happy camper.

I'll credit him with realizing his limitations. He called over an RN who took care of business without further incident.

Torpedo for colitis and other GI disorders...

Smart capsule to target colon diseases
30 Sept.`15 - A new electronic drug capsule engineered to deliver medications directly to the colon could potentially offer a more effective and cheaper option for treating people with gastrointestinal conditions, according to researchers at Purdue University in Indiana.
The device is comprised of two parts, one carrying a drug payload and the other housing electronics designed on the same principles used to trigger a torpedo. "There is a magnetic switch and so when it gets close to the magnetic marker that can be worn outside (the body) or can be implanted close to where you want to release it," said lead researcher Babak Ziaie. "When it gets there it will trigger the magnetic switch and it will discharge the capacitor and you have a fuse that basically blows up," he added. That reaction triggers a spring-loaded mechanism that separates the capsule and releases the medication.

The medication is released after the capsule makes its eight hour journey through the harsh acidity of the stomach and 20 feet of small intestine, ensuring its drug payload reaches the colon intact. The device tackles the complex problem of drug delivery to the lower part of the gastrointestinal tract. The researchers designed the magnetic switch to ensure that electromagnetic signals such as those emitted by cell phones do not trigger capsule separation. Ziaie adds that the decision to wear or implant a magnet depends on a patient's weight. "You have to be close. You have to be within a couple of centimeters. So for a lean person you can wear the magnet outside. But if someone is very obese it actually wont trigger from outside so you probably have to implant," he said.

This targeted drug delivery system could potentially make drug treatment for a variety of gastrointestinal disorders, including bacterial infections, Crohn's disease and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, more efficient and cheaper, according to Ziaie. He estimates his capsules could be manufactured "for cents" once scaled up to commercial levels. The team is currently working with a private biomedical company in an effort to start clinical trials. More than 20 percent of the people globally suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome, according to the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders.

Smart capsule to target colon diseases

Forum List

Back