Colo. lawyer sues over TSA airport screening

Neither does the AIT, despite the claims otherwise by the TSA.
Right, they can see your nipples but not that plastic gun taped to your leg. :cuckoo:

It is not my fault they don't work.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKvweNugnQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

You could carry enough plastic explosives in the mouth of a few people to take down a plane, and these scanners do not see inside your mouth.
Yep...and if anyone ever tries it, guess what? We will be opening our mouth's and saying ah.

Right, they can see your nipples but not that plastic gun taped to your leg. :cuckoo:

It is not my fault they don't work.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrKvweNugnQ&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

You could carry enough plastic explosives in the mouth of a few people to take down a plane, and these scanners do not see inside your mouth.
Yep...and if anyone ever tries it, guess what? We will be opening our mouth's and saying ah.

No, if they get caught we will. Then they will shove them up their ass, and we will have to bend over and spread em. Then they will swallow them, and we will have to get a full MRI and CT every time we want to get on a plane. My question to you, which has been asked before, is when will you draw the line and agree that they are going to far?

The TSA Blog: Advanced Imaging Technology: Storing, Exporting and Printing of Images

no image storage or transmittal available. no distinction of faces or genitalia.

someone explain how this is violation of privacy?

IT VIOLATES THE 4th AMENDMENT

in your opinion only. not in the eyes of the court. prove me otherwise. the 9th circuit already ruled on this.

And, as I pointed out, and you completely ignored, that decision is not binding anywhere outside the 9th, which happens to be the most reversed circuit.

Why don't you try to argue that it is not a primary screening technique again?

IT VIOLATES THE 4th AMENDMENT

in your opinion only. not in the eyes of the court. prove me otherwise. the 9th circuit already ruled on this.

And, as I pointed out, and you completely ignored, that decision is not binding anywhere outside the 9th, which happens to be the most reversed circuit.

I will give you that at "some" airports it's a primary technique. But not at all and
It's actually not at the airports I frequent. And a federal decision is a federal decision. It apply to the whole not just the district it is in.

The 9th circuit also only has had 30% of thier decisions overturned. Being that they are the largest appelle court in the US, it would stand to see that they rule on the most decisions. The supreme court actually overturns 60% of the decisions they hear. 30% at that rate isn't too bad

Last edited:

I will give you that at "some" airports it's a primary technique. But not at all and
It's actually not at the airports I frequent. And a federal decision is a federal decision. It apply to the whole not just the district it is in.

The 9th circuit also only has had 30% of thier decisions overturned. Being that they are the largest appelle court in the US, it would stand to see that they rule on the most decisions. The supreme court actually overturns 60% of the decisions they hear. 30% at that rate isn't too bad

It is not a primary technique at any airport where it is not installed, other than that it is.

A 30% failure rate might seem impressive in schools, but in the real world it will get you fired. The 9th Circuit comprises 30% of the SCOTUS case load, despite only having 20% of the population. You can argue all day long that it is the largest circuit, but it still sees more reversals than any other circuit even if you factor in population and case load. Nice of you to try to claim that SCOTUS reverses 60% of the cases they here, and then claim that the 9th getting 30% of all its decisions, not just the ones the court hears, is not that bad. The fact is that over 80% of 9th Circuit cases that get to SCOTUS are overturned.

Notably, the 9th Circuit accounted for both 30 percent of the cases (24 of 80) and 30 percent of the reversals (18 of 59) the Supreme Court decided by full written opinions this term. In addition, the 9th Circuit was responsible for more than a third (35%, or 8 of 23) of the High Court’s unanimous reversals that were issued by published opinions. Thus, on the whole, the 9th Circuit’s rulings accounted for more reversals this past term than all the state courts across the country combined and represented nearly half of the overturned judgments (45%) of the federal appellate courts.[7]
The 9th Circuit also hears the most cases of any of the circuit courts and thus has the most decisions move on to the Supreme Court.

Nice try with that 80% tho

Last edited:
Notably, the 9th Circuit accounted for both 30 percent of the cases (24 of 80) and 30 percent of the reversals (18 of 59) the Supreme Court decided by full written opinions this term. In addition, the 9th Circuit was responsible for more than a third (35%, or 8 of 23) of the High Court’s unanimous reversals that were issued by published opinions. Thus, on the whole, the 9th Circuit’s rulings accounted for more reversals this past term than all the state courts across the country combined and represented nearly half of the overturned judgments (45%) of the federal appellate courts.[7]
The 9th Circuit also hears the most cases of any of the circuit courts and thus has the most decisions move on to the Supreme Court.

Wow.

You pick a single year and claim that proves you right.

I, on the other hand, took a guess on the average over a period of time, and it does turn out I was wrong.

Over the past decade, the U.S. Supreme Court has overruled the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in 148 of 182 cases—a “strikingly poor record” for the circuit court, said Ninth Circuit Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain ’63 in a talk at Harvard Law School on September 17. The event was sponsored by the Federalist Society.
O'Scannlain, who is entering his 25th year on the federal bench, said he wanted “to reflect on how cases from my own court have fared in the Supreme Court over the past decade.” The Ninth Circuit, he said “got it wrong in 81% of its cases that the Supreme Court agreed to hear.”
“Compare that to the affirmance rate of over 80% in all appeals from lower courts and federal agencies decided by us.”
The circuit’s reversal rate troubles the long-time and much distinguished O'Scannlain, whose appellate division spans from the northwest United States and California to Alaska and Hawaii.
“Even more telling than the reversal rate itself, however, is the number of unanimous reversals. Seventy-two of the 148 Ninth Circuit cases reversed during the period in question were at the hands of a unanimous Supreme Court.”

When ?The Nine? Overrule the Ninth: O?Scannlain ponders 10 years of reversals

In case you are curious, that is an 81% reversal rate, with 49% of those reversals being unanimous.

Wow.

I, on the other hand, took a guess on the average over a period of time, and it does turn out I was wrong.

Over the past decade, the U.S. Supreme Court has overruled the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in 148 of 182 cases—a “strikingly poor record” for the circuit court, said Ninth Circuit Judge Diarmuid O'Scannlain ’63 in a talk at Harvard Law School on September 17. The event was sponsored by the Federalist Society.
O'Scannlain, who is entering his 25th year on the federal bench, said he wanted “to reflect on how cases from my own court have fared in the Supreme Court over the past decade.” The Ninth Circuit, he said “got it wrong in 81% of its cases that the Supreme Court agreed to hear.”
“Compare that to the affirmance rate of over 80% in all appeals from lower courts and federal agencies decided by us.”
The circuit’s reversal rate troubles the long-time and much distinguished O'Scannlain, whose appellate division spans from the northwest United States and California to Alaska and Hawaii.
“Even more telling than the reversal rate itself, however, is the number of unanimous reversals. Seventy-two of the 148 Ninth Circuit cases reversed during the period in question were at the hands of a unanimous Supreme Court.”

In case you are curious, that is an 81% reversal rate, with 49% of those reversals being unanimous.

I wonder if that could be attributed to the fact that The Supremes are a conservative judicial body, while the 9th Circuit is not? Politics in the judicial arena? Ya think?

Wow.

I wonder if that could be attributed to the fact that The Supremes are a conservative judicial body, while the 9th Circuit is not? Politics in the judicial arena? Ya think?

It could, or it could be attributed to the fact that the 9th is so far off the wall that they are rarely correct. A few of the cases that SCOTUS overturned have leaned conservative.

Forum List

Back