College!

eagleseven

Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Jul 8, 2009
OH
BS.jpg

Think before you leap.

HUGS it gets better.
I'm one of the fortunate ones, who've majored in something useful, and found a niche that pays for my knowledge.

For many others, including the author of that postcard, higher education is no longer paying off. The education bubble is popping.

indeed. you are wasting your time if you aren't in science / engineering.

2 year associate tech degrees are probably the best for many in America.

they work well in the service industry.

My boy is talking about wanting a psych degree.

I am encouraging him to do private industry for a year before college. He can meet lots of folks with psych degrees when working at McDonalds.

I am encouraging him to do private industry for a year before college. He can meet lots of folks with psych degrees when working at McDonalds.

if he truly has a passion for it, than tell him to minor in it, will look good on a resume, he will learn quite a bit of it, and his actual degree can be in something useful. getting a minor is actually pretty easy over 4 years as you can simply use all your free elective hours towards the minor you want

Thanks, that sounds very constructive.

I want him to get a major in electrical engineering. He has no interest in that.

But getting a financial accounting degree might be useful with a psych minor.

My senior is a National Merit Scholarship semi-finalist. We've received several letters already from around the country offering him full scholarships.

He loves the sciences and thinking maybe of becoming an MD.

If your son becomes a MD, he will have the same wisdom and free time to post on this board as xotoxi does! Cool.

accounting majors will get well over $40,000 to start, it's always in the top 5 degrees to get.

One of my friends earned a BS in Psychology...she's now working on her MA in Counseling. After her six years of school, she'll be starting at about $26k/year. Dunno how she's going to pay off her debt.

Tell him to consider allied health...in the clinical lab, I'll be starting at around $23/hr non-exempt, meaning I get overtime. That adds to about $56k/year, if you assume a 45-hour week (which is normal).

Best part? I don't have to keep my cell phone on after-hours...nor am I cranking spreadsheets all day like the accountants.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back