College vs. Vocations or The Modern Work Ethic.

Human resources departments will fight against your view forever.

I'm not sure this is about HR, it's more about politicians.

I think that all the above has an effect, but by far the greatest effect is by HR and related school counseling and career counseling. This is because every student listens to how to get a job even if they listen to nothing else. Politicians are way down the priority ladder there. And HR represents the corporate interest which is almost entirely against the interest of individuals, so individuals will not become "good adults good parents good partners good people in general" as stated in your post above. They will become good and disposable fighting machines against themselves and against everything. A western democracy has never been successful in balancing these.

Oh, but if that were only true! Spend any time with a high school student recently? I am betting you haven't.

I am just off high school. Contrary to your belief, not all of us want a career in pharmaceutical sales, hehehe.

I have taught in middle and high schools for over 20 years. Getting a student to even discuss employment after high school is like pulling teeth.

I must say I am highly surprised and I don't understand your observation. I was listening and most of my classmates were listening. Are you talking about students that are mostly from family business families? Under that condition I guess I can understand it, but even then, you can find a few that don't think that they have a place in their family's family business.

I'm not sure this is about HR, it's more about politicians.

I think that all the above has an effect, but by far the greatest effect is by HR and related school counseling and career counseling. This is because every student listens to how to get a job even if they listen to nothing else. Politicians are way down the priority ladder there. And HR represents the corporate interest which is almost entirely against the interest of individuals, so individuals will not become "good adults good parents good partners good people in general" as stated in your post above. They will become good and disposable fighting machines against themselves and against everything. A western democracy has never been successful in balancing these.

Oh, but if that were only true! Spend any time with a high school student recently? I am betting you haven't.

I am just off high school. Contrary to your belief, not all of us want a career in pharmaceutical sales, hehehe.

I have taught in middle and high schools for over 20 years. Getting a student to even discuss employment after high school is like pulling teeth.

I must say I am highly surprised and I don't understand your observation. I was listening and most of my classmates were listening. Are you talking about students that are mostly from family business families? Under that condition I guess I can understand it, but even then, you can find a few that don't think that they have a place in their family's family business.

Most of the students I teach could not care less about what they will do after high school, much less go to college. Their parents are either only high school graduates or dropped out to have children. A surprisingly high number of our female students are either pregnant or already have a child. Few if any of the parents work in skilled trades.

I recently toured a factory that manufactures sauces and salad dressings that employ workers from our area. Their biggest complain about their employees was a complete lack of work ethic. If they didn't want to go to work, they simply did not show up to work and after repeated instances wondered why they were being fired. They had no motivation to move up or become supervisors because they were too busy having to be supervised.

At college and career fairs they all come back to school complaining about how boring it was and that they never want to work for any of those companies or go to those schools. It is like a disease of extreme apathy is running rampant through this generation.

Most of the students I teach could not care less about what they will do after high school, much less go to college. Their parents are either only high school graduates or dropped out to have children. A surprisingly high number of our female students are either pregnant or already have a child. Few if any of the parents work in skilled trades.

I recently toured a factory that manufactures sauces and salad dressings that employ workers from our area. Their biggest complain about their employees was a complete lack of work ethic. If they didn't want to go to work, they simply did not show up to work and after repeated instances wondered why they were being fired. They had no motivation to move up or become supervisors because they were too busy having to be supervised.

At college and career fairs they all come back to school complaining about how boring it was and that they never want to work for any of those companies or go to those schools. It is like a disease of extreme apathy is running rampant through this generation.

Don't paint a whole generation based on a small sample size.

I am a member of various organizations of professional educators. You don't think with the input of many teachers like myself, I cannot come to this conclusion?

Believe what you want, but I see no evidence of any significant drive or determination to seek out job or career information in hardly any of the students I come into contact with.

I am not that type of individual. Looks like you are engulfed in some western public education arrangement. I think school is not for everyone. But why would this be any different when the government pays you more for pregnancy than any employer for working?

I am a member of various organizations of professional educators. You don't think with the input of many teachers like myself, I cannot come to this conclusion?

Believe what you want, but I see no evidence of any significant drive or determination to seek out job or career information in hardly any of the students I come into contact with.

The US is famous of its ghettos of solid zero job markets. And the unskilled worker employers never play fair either.

Employ some logic. Your statement is overly categorical.

I am not that type of individual. Looks like you are engulfed in some western public education arrangement. I think school is not for everyone. But why would this be any different when the government pays you more for pregnancy than any employer for working?

??????

Where?

Forum List

Back