College students on Food Stamps?

It's expensive and college kids are poor. Food stamps are stimulus so I don't get why they're griping about it here. I don't think they quite understand how expensive college is these days and also how cheap companies are getting off when hiring anyone, especially kids.

We have to get them educated so they can become productive. Cheapskate Rs kind of complain about every little thing. They tend not to think these things through.

I worked. My parents picked up the tab for my books and tuition - because they planned and saved for all six of us to get a decent education.... but I was expected to work too. Guess what? It did not kill me. I still got good grades, and managed perfectly well. It was a hugely valuable lesson too.... it taught me the value of a dollar.

I also worked my way through college.

40 years ago before the cost of college had risen at a rate five times faster than the rate inflation.

But what kind of job can a High School grad do that will give them an extra $10,000 or $15,000 ABOVE their cost of living to pay for college?

Seriously...unless you have some truly high paying job working your way though college today is beyond what most kids can do.

My son is making about $13.50 an hour right now. His tuition is $6,000 a year and naturally he cannot work full time because nobody is hired to work full time because if the corporation did that? They'd have to also give HC and bennies.

So do the math: $13.5 X 36(hrs) X 52(wks) = $25,272 GROSS, not net.

Yuu try finding an extra $7-8 K (for tuition, fees and books) AND living in Seattle on $25 K gross.

I content that many of us who DID work their way through college in the 50s, 60s 70s' and even the early 80s, could not do it, now.

Good points. We have saved to send our kids to college because we are lucky enough to make enough money to do so. And the kids are grateful, no student loans. They don't lord it over their classmates though.

There was a valid reason for it..

They were learning how to use them so when they graduate with a degree and unemployment is at 20%, they will be well prepared for the real world.

Forum List

Back