College students on Food Stamps?

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
30,000 students receiving food stamps? WTF? I don't have a problem with people receiving food stamps if they truly are in need, but this really is nuts. And this is one of the reasons a lot of people get upset with those receiving welfare, because they should not be. In this case, I'm glad to see that Michigan is making a wise decision in putting an end to this nonsense.

Mich. removes about 30K college students from food assistance

LANSING, Mich. — Michigan says it has removed about 30,000 college students from its food assistance program since it began enforcing federal guidelines this spring.

Michigan Department of Human Services Director Maura Corrigan tells The Detroit News for a story published Monday that’s about twice as many as officials expected and it’s expected to bring about $75 million a year in savings.

Mich. removes about 30K college students from food assistance - Toledo Blade

It was stupid to put college students on food stamps in the first place...

Federal rules don't allow most college students to collect food stamps, but Michigan had created its own rules that made nearly all students eligible, said Brian Rooney, Corrigan's deputy director. As a result, the number of Michigan college students on this form of welfare made the state a national leader. For example, Michigan had 10 times the number of students on food stamps as either Illinois or California, Rooney said.

Cutting off the students is part of what Corrigan says is an effort to change the culture of the state's welfare department and slash tens of millions of dollars of waste, fraud and abuse.

"Maybe (students) could go get a part-time job — that's what I did," said Corrigan, a former justice of the Michigan Supreme Court who attended Detroit's Marygrove College and University of Detroit Mercy School of Law.

"We want to encourage people to be self-sufficient, not to be dependent on the government," she said in an interview with The Detroit News.

Politics-State | 30,000 college students kicked out of food aid program in Michigan | The Detroit News

Don't college students have a dining facility where they can eat?

Well yes but they have to pay for their meal cards. Most only buy one meal a day but that isn't enough for someone that busy.

I'm happy they are in school. If we have to feed them, so be it.

Well yes but they have to pay for their meal cards. Most only buy one meal a day but that isn't enough for someone that busy.

OMG!!! They have to actually pay for their meal cards?

That's a fucking OUTRAGE!

Whatever.

Probably the only group on food stamps that will one day pay enough taxes to pay back what they receive. That said I don't agree with giving food stamps to most of the people that receive them. I worked with a guy that was making 35-40K and qualified for food stamps because of his 6 kids. He actually thought the government owed it to him because he wanted a large family. And our STUPID government apparently agrees with him.

Students are faced with huge tuition increases at many universities lately, which have far outstripped inflation. Their food money is going for books and tuition.

Hmm I was under the impression they could eat for free if they were living in the dorms, like in the service.

Hmm I was under the impression they could eat for free if they were living in the dorms, like in the service.

The cost of living in the dorm is so expensive the kids I know that went to college either lived off campus or moved off campus as soon as they could, if forced to live in a dorm the first year. They ate lots of Top Ramen.

Oh Heck yes! 1969-1974, Foodstamps and student loans. Paid off the loans and never looked back since.
The greatest gift ever to the United States of America was the GI Bill and the fifteen million men who had donned the uniform of the United States during that conflict. That set in play the greatest economic boom the world had ever seen.
Eugene Sledge, author (With The Old Breed At Pelieliu And Okinawa) and professor was being interviewed by a college admissions officer and was asked "What qualifications do you have for admission to college?"
To which Sledge replied "I'm qualified on the M1, the BAR, the 30 and 50 caliber machine guns, mortars."
The admissions officer, a bit taken back, asked the question again "What qualifications do you have for college?"
At which point Sledge stood up to his fullest Marine Sargeant's height and in his deepest Sargeant's voice and replied "Ma'am, I don't know if you're aware of this, but up until a little while ago there was a killing war going on and I was one of the ones that did most of the killing" Sledge was admitted and went on to achieve his doctorate.
Try that today in any college admissions office and see what happens.

The cost of living in the dorm is so expensive the kids I know that went to college either lived off campus or moved off campus as soon as they could, if forced to live in a dorm the first year. They ate lots of Top Ramen.

Hmm thats not right, why is staying in the dorm so expensive? its the total opposite in the Military.

Hmm thats not right, why is staying in the dorm so expensive? its the total opposite in the Military.

The Military is totally funded by the Government, We don't have state run schools. Yet

It's expensive and college kids are poor. Food stamps are stimulus so I don't get why they're griping about it here. I don't think they quite understand how expensive college is these days and also how cheap companies are getting off when hiring anyone, especially kids.

We have to get them educated so they can become productive. Cheapskate Rs kind of complain about every little thing. They tend not to think these things through.

Ironically, "states rights" Conservatives in this thread are on the side of the Federal Government on this issue and against the state of Michigan.

Nope. They have to pay for it in the form of a meal plan. One of the reasons why I'm thankful I don't live in the dorms where I go to college.

It's expensive and college kids are poor. Food stamps are stimulus so I don't get why they're griping about it here. I don't think they quite understand how expensive college is these days and also how cheap companies are getting off when hiring anyone, especially kids.

We have to get them educated so they can become productive. Cheapskate Rs kind of complain about every little thing. They tend not to think these things through.

Moody's Analytics also found that Food stamps are the most effective form of stimulus. By far more effective than any of the tax cuts you see Conservatives clamoring for.

Forum List

Back