College Students Not Mailing Absentee Ballots Because They Don’t Know Where to Buy Stamps

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
Ballot.jpg

My sides hurt from laughing. And, if they’re that dumb, they have to be MinocRATs. Don’t, whatever you do, tell them where.

Vote or die.” Unless, it’s too hard to find a stamp.

A Fairfax County focus group this summer found many college students who have gotten an absentee ballot simply fail to send it back because a U.S. Postal Service stamp seems to be a foreign concept to them.

One thing that came up, which I had heard from my own kids but I thought they were just nerdy, was that the students will go through the process of applying for a mail-in absentee ballot, they will fill out the ballot, and then, they don’t know where to get stamps,” Lisa Connors with the Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs said.

That seems to be like a hump that they can’t get across.”

From College Students Not Mailing Absentee Ballots Because They Don't Know Where to Buy Stamps

SSSSHHHHHH! don't anyone tell them......oh wait you can tell them they will never be able to find a post office.....

Sad, but really how many kids have been to the post office. How many kids have actually sent a letter? Technology changes. How many old timers will get into a car now and still look for the ignition switch?

Every generation goes through the same process. Parents always lament when children do not know how to do things they knew how to do. What do you mean you don't know how to use a slide rule?

No big deal. This is the story of a changing society.

Always voted on fall break. I just headed on down to the courthouse and vote absentee there. It was all very painless.

Always voted on fall break. I just headed on down to the courthouse and vote absentee there. It was all very painless.

Most of today's college students don't even know what a courthouse is.

off topic but related:

I live off grid, 20+ miles to a paved road or powerline. Some of the land out here is sold sight unseen online.
This spring a 20something couple showed up "homesteading" a parcel about 6 miles away, and on my usual route in and out.
They flagged me down one day, simply because they had seen me carrying a gun. They wanted me to shoot the "poison snake" that had gotten into their tent.
They almost had heart attacks when, upon determining it wAs just a 3.5 ft gopher snake, I put the gun down and picked it up and took it home to put in my greenhouse.

Sad, but really how many kids have been to the post office. How many kids have actually sent a letter? Technology changes. How many old timers will get into a car now and still look for the ignition switch?

Every generation goes through the same process. Parents always lament when children do not know how to do things they knew how to do. What do you mean you don't know how to use a slide rule?

No big deal. This is the story of a changing society.

No, it's a story of the dumbing-down of college students.

Ballot.jpg

My sides hurt from laughing. And, if they’re that dumb, they have to be MinocRATs. Don’t, whatever you do, tell them where.

A Fairfax County focus group this summer found many college students who have gotten an absentee ballot simply fail to send it back because a U.S. Postal Service stamp seems to be a foreign concept to them.

One thing that came up, which I had heard from my own kids but I thought they were just nerdy, was that the students will go through the process of applying for a mail-in absentee ballot, they will fill out the ballot, and then, they don’t know where to get stamps,” Lisa Connors with the Fairfax County Office of Public Affairs said.

From College Students Not Mailing Absentee Ballots Because They Don't Know Where to Buy Stamps
I wish I could say I was surprised. Most kids have never sent a letter or even written one by hand. They only understand email. Who can blame them. Parents today are so over protective they never learn any thing. I had the cops called on me once because my 130 pound ten year old was mowing the grass. I guess that was child abuse. I bet they would have shit to see the things we did as kids. I had a 17 year in my kitchen not very long ago who had never even made him self MacNcheese. He could not belive I was going to let him help cook. I handed him a parring knife to peal the apples for an apple crisp. He looked at me like I was allowing him to break the law. This seventeen year old honor student was not allowed to opperate a knife in his own kitchen. WTF We have raised a generation of scared idiots. Mommy would not let him change his own guitar strings for fear of I can not figure out what. I hate to say it but I think this speaks volumes of how it is parents fault. What the fuck is mom and dad doing at home?

Ballot.jpg

I wish I could say I was surprised. Most kids have never sent a letter or even written one by hand. They only understand email. Who can blame them. Parents today are so over protective they never learn any thing. I had the cops called on me once because my 130 pound ten year old was mowing the grass. I guess that was child abuse. I bet they would have shit to see the things we did as kids. I had a 17 year in my kitchen not very long ago who had never even made him self MacNcheese. He could not belive I was going to let him help cook. I handed him a parring knife to peal the apples for an apple crisp. He looked at me like I was allowing him to break the law. This seventeen year old honor student was not allowed to opperate a knife in his own kitchen. WTF We have raised a generation of scared idiots. Mommy would not let him change his own guitar strings for fear of I can not figure out what. I hate to say it but I think this speaks volumes of how it is parents fault. What the fuck is mom and dad doing at home?

All excellent points. But, some of the blame falls on the schools. I was talking to a cashier at a convenience store I frequent, and she was bitching about how the school where her kids are going no longer teaches how to write in cursive. Matter of fact, all of the lessons are now done on tablets, and eventually, I'm thinking that cursive will go the way of the do do because nobody will know how to write in it any more.

Shoot..............by age 8, I knew how to kill, pluck and gut a chicken, and by the time I was 10, I was taking care of a 1 acre garden. Learned how to build things out of wood growing up, and can make stuff if I have to.

Shame that most kids nowadays are growing up not knowing those skills.

Funny us Baby Boomers made it through no seat belts, shooting guns, playing outside all day, 2nd hand smoke, etc.[/QUOTE]

Ballot.jpg

All excellent points. But, some of the blame falls on the schools. I was talking to a cashier at a convenience store I frequent, and she was bitching about how the school where her kids are going no longer teaches how to write in cursive. Matter of fact, all of the lessons are now done on tablets, and eventually, I'm thinking that cursive will go the way of the do do because nobody will know how to write in it any more.

Shoot..............by age 8, I knew how to kill, pluck and gut a chicken, and by the time I was 10, I was taking care of a 1 acre garden. Learned how to build things out of wood growing up, and can make stuff if I have to.

Ya I do not know who came up with the whole idea of not teaching cursive. These people will n ot be able to read the personal letters of their own ancestors. How the hell do they take notes during class. All mine are in cursive. Printing is way to slow.

Funny us Baby Boomers made it through no seat belts, shooting guns, playing outside all day, 2nd hand smoke, etc.
[/QUOTE]

Anyone remember that fun family game called Lawn Darts? How about those hard plastic balls on the end of 2 strings joined together by a ring called Wacky Clackers?

Probably 2 of the most dangerous "toys" ever invented.

Ballot.jpg

Ya I do not know who came up with the whole idea of teaching cursive. These people will n ot be able to read the personal letters of their own ancestors. How the hell do they take notes during class. All mine are in cursive. Printing is way to slow.

Agreed. I can write in cursive a hell of a lot faster than I can print.

But then again....................I also type around 70 wpm.

Funny us Baby Boomers made it through no seat belts, shooting guns, playing outside all day, 2nd hand smoke, etc.
[/QUOTE]
Ask me todays kids got fucked! I do not care if medical advancements let them live to be 300. I would rather die than sit around the couch for the next couple hundred of years! That is all these kids know. I see some people my age acting this way. That burns me in ways I can not even explain. They should know better. Finding guys my age that want to fish and hunt or other out door things is not easy today. I find my self hanging with the same three guys every week end because they are the only ones I know who are not willing to sit on the couch all day. I went fishing last week end and only caught 6 perch. I got home and got some teasing from people who sat on the couch the whole week end. I will take my sun burn and very small meal over doing nothing. I felt blessed to be out on a boat with freinds regardless of the out come.

Anyone remember that fun family game called Lawn Darts? How about those hard plastic balls on the end of 2 strings joined together by a ring called Wacky Clackers?

Probably 2 of the most dangerous "toys" ever invented.[/QUOTE]
Played the shit out of lawn darts. Saw the clackers but I do not remember playing with them. I am not even going to begin describing the dangerous shit I did as a kid. I survide it all though. I told some dudes up in Port Clinton some of the crazy things I did as a kid. Those drunk fuckers decided they needed to try some of it. I had some pissed off wives to deal with. I guess I made them sound to fun. They pretty much were.

Probably 2 of the most dangerous "toys" ever invented.
Played the shit out of lawn darts. Saw the clackers but I do not remember playing with them. I am not even going to begin describing the dangerous shit I did as a kid. I survide it all though. I told some dudes up in Port Clinton some of the crazy things I did as a kid. Those drunk fuckers decided they needed to try some of it. I had some pissed off wives to deal with. I guess I made them sound to fun. They pretty much were.[/QUOTE]

I had one or two of the Wacky Clackers. Got 'em at Shakey's Pizza (yeah, I'm that old). Get 'em going fast enough, they sound like a machine gun. BUT, if you weren't well practiced with them, when you tried to go fast, you'd miss, and hit your arm or head.

Get 'em going fast enough, for long enough, they EXPLODE all over the place, and you can end up with shrapnel.

Forum List

Back