College Students Choose Kerry

nakedemperor

Aug 5, 2004
NYC
www.usmessageboard.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

I've been reading a lot of articles about how teenagers choose Bush. Well, here are the young people of voting age, and they have spoken....

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- College students say they are much more interested in politics this year, more likely to identify with a party and more likely to vote, a new Harvard University study shows.

The 10-point lead that Kerry held over President Bush in a March survey has grown to 13 percent.

While Bush's support among students has remained consistent, many undecided voters have moved into the Kerry camp.

In swing states, Kerry's lead is even higher, about 16 percent. Swing-state students also are saying they are more likely to vote than students in non-swing states.

The National Center for Education Statistics estimates there are more than 10.2 million students enrolled at four-year schools this year.

King predicts more than half of them will vote in the presidential election, a significant increase from a turnout of about 42 percent in 2000.

Curtis Gans also expects a big jump in student voting.

Attaway kids!! Lets rock this vote!

Goes to show you that the propaganda machine of collegiate campuses still needs reform. Somewhere between High School and college kids go from conservative values of their parents to radical hippy values of their teachers.

Yeah, the indoctrination in college is horrible. There are books on how to stay Christian through college, and it is quite a chore. I know I have all kinds of people all the time telling me how if I'll come to this party, they know I could 'hook up' with this girl if she got drunk enough. I always tell them something to the effect of 'the 'I do' comes before the 'go to.'' There are teachers who regularly challenge that anyone who believes in God is childish (I guess it's only o.k. to persecute Christians under the 1st Ammendment) and who attempt over and over to shake everyone's faith under the banner of making everyone "think for themselves." I even got into an argument with someone because their Arabic Studies teacher claimed the Iraqis never wanted us in their country and want us to leave a.s.a.p. while everyone I ever knew who had been there said the Iraqis, for the most part, celebrated our deposing of Saddam. I felt like I was talking to a wall. It would be like a person believing somebody was innocent of a killing because a vague psychological examination done a decade ago shows that they don't fit the profile, while on the other side there are a dozen eyewitnesses that say he did it.

The public education indoctrination scam has been around forever. I remember when I was growing up that I was indoctrinated with environmentalism. I thought factories were all run by fat, greedy, evil men and that driving cars would kill the planet. I remember thinking the ozone layer was on the brink of collapse and thinking global warming was going to kill us all in ten years. It took a long time for my parents to "deprogram" me, too. They sat me down, gave me an objective view of the situations, showed me facts, and expected me to think for myself. Eventually, I came around. I remember Captain Planet, and looking back, it was just propoganda. Before long, there's be a superhero show called "The ACLU League," in which the heroes protect child molestors, cultists, homosexuals, and pregnant women looking for the easy way out from evil Christians and their bowing puppet, the Republican Party.

Just give 'em a few years of paying taxes and seeing the what liberal taxation does to their paychecks. They'll be conservative before you know it.

nakedemperor said:

I've been reading a lot of articles about how teenagers choose Bush. Well, here are the young people of voting age, and they have spoken....

ATLANTA, Georgia (CNN) -- College students say they are much more interested in politics this year, more likely to identify with a party and more likely to vote, a new Harvard University study shows.

The 10-point lead that Kerry held over President Bush in a March survey has grown to 13 percent.

While Bush's support among students has remained consistent, many undecided voters have moved into the Kerry camp.

In swing states, Kerry's lead is even higher, about 16 percent. Swing-state students also are saying they are more likely to vote than students in non-swing states.

The National Center for Education Statistics estimates there are more than 10.2 million students enrolled at four-year schools this year.

King predicts more than half of them will vote in the presidential election, a significant increase from a turnout of about 42 percent in 2000.

Curtis Gans also expects a big jump in student voting.

Attaway kids!! Lets rock this vote!
I disagree. I think it depends on what college you attend. I attend LSU, and LSU is very Bush. Just from the bumper stickers, I would say 60%+ support Bush. I think it depends on what college and the geographic location of the college. I would assume Harvard, for example to be more liberal, while I would assume most colleges down here in the south to be conservative.

Plus, from what I understand, Bush has really imroved his base with young voters aged 18-25.

ChrisH said:
Plus, from what I understand, Bush has really imroved his base with young voters aged 18-25.

Nah. He's stayed baseline, according to the report. Kerry, on the other hand, has jumped almost 20% in 1 year.

Hobbit said:
Yeah, the indoctrination in college is horrible. There are books on how to stay Christian through college, and it is quite a chore. I know I have all kinds of people all the time telling me how if I'll come to this party, they know I could 'hook up' with this girl if she got drunk enough. I always tell them something to the effect of 'the 'I do' comes before the 'go to.'' There are teachers who regularly challenge that anyone who believes in God is childish (I guess it's only o.k. to persecute Christians under the 1st Ammendment) and who attempt over and over to shake everyone's faith under the banner of making everyone "think for themselves." I even got into an argument with someone because their Arabic Studies teacher claimed the Iraqis never wanted us in their country and want us to leave a.s.a.p. while everyone I ever knew who had been there said the Iraqis, for the most part, celebrated our deposing of Saddam. I felt like I was talking to a wall. It would be like a person believing somebody was innocent of a killing because a vague psychological examination done a decade ago shows that they don't fit the profile, while on the other side there are a dozen eyewitnesses that say he did it.

The public education indoctrination scam has been around forever. I remember when I was growing up that I was indoctrinated with environmentalism. I thought factories were all run by fat, greedy, evil men and that driving cars would kill the planet. I remember thinking the ozone layer was on the brink of collapse and thinking global warming was going to kill us all in ten years. It took a long time for my parents to "deprogram" me, too. They sat me down, gave me an objective view of the situations, showed me facts, and expected me to think for myself. Eventually, I came around. I remember Captain Planet, and looking back, it was just propoganda. Before long, there's be a superhero show called "The ACLU League," in which the heroes protect child molestors, cultists, homosexuals, and pregnant women looking for the easy way out from evil Christians and their bowing puppet, the Republican Party.

This "indoctrination scam" is vastly overblown to me. The argument that "hippie teachers" and secular academics brainwash susceptiple, eager college students is so lame. This seems like a case of reverse logic here-- the informed, knowledgable, and intelligent somehow become subversives and LESS in tune with what is true or good for the country, and spout their propaganda to the young.

How about, when people become educated and in tune with the nature or things, they become liberals, rather than the other way around?

Possible? Probable?

Damn books and their ideas...

nakedemperor said:
This "indoctrination scam" is vastly overblown to me. The argument that "hippie teachers" and secular academics brainwash susceptiple, eager college students is so lame. This seems like a case of reverse logic here-- the informed, knowledgable, and intelligent somehow become subversives and LESS in tune with what is true or good for the country, and spout their propaganda to the young.

How about, when people become educated and in tune with the nature or things, they become liberals, rather than the other way around?

Possible? Probable?

Emperor ? You're in college now aren't you ? maybe grad school ? never had a real job, everyone you know is a student, or a teacher. Don't know any soldiers, certainly never been one. Most of the people you who actually work, work for the university, spending grant money to research fish populations or aquifer contamination.

Have you noticed that the intellectual/academic idols of the Left try to explain the big picture and long view to the rest of us even though, they, like you, haven't really ever left the campus, except to "go abroad " to hang with other academics ?

And , excuse me please for getting personal, but you are a gay man as well, aren't you ? Without putting a value judgement on your life, you travel and associate with an even smaller world of people who see things your way.

face it, college students don't know a fucking thing about the world. No 18 to 24 year old does, (except perhaps our young marines and soldiers). The reason why 21 was the age of adulthood, is because we couldn't get away with making it 31.

fubar said:
face it, college students don't know a fucking thing about the world. No 18 to 24 year old does, (except perhaps our young marines and soldiers). The reason why 21 was the age of adulthood, is because we couldn't get away with making it 31.

As a 24 year old i would say i get it. i got it when i was 18 i just couldnt articulate myself well back then. but then im not the typical student either:)

Undecided...uneducated... Same thing, in this case.. This isn't 'Eenie Meenie Miney Moe".. This is a Presidential election. If you're undecided, don't pick the moron by default.. Put your education to use, and do some *research*.

Shattered said:
Undecided...uneducated... Same thing, in this case.. This isn't 'Eenie Meenie Miney Moe".. This is a Presidential election. If you're undecided, don't pick the moron by default.. Put your education to use, and do some *research*.

Ive always been so amazed at how proud Democrats can be about getting stupid people to vote for them. I mean what does that say to know the uninformed people vote for you.

nakedemperor said:

Possible? Probable?

Ever consider the difference between education and experience?

I remember back when I was in college in 1980 how most of the people I knew were not voting for Reagan. I had many political arguments with intelligent, yet young and relatively inexperienced, college students who were absolutely, wholeheartedly 1000% convined that Reagan would start a nukular :) war within motnhs of taking office. Reagan and history have proven them 100% WRONG.

Just a little perspective for you.

Well hopefully they can make up thier minds to vote for Kerry when Kerry makes up his...which will be never..hahaha. No sorry couldn't think of anything inteligent to say so had to bash Kerry. Sorry NH had too.

nakedemperor said:

Possible? Probable?

It may be anecdotal, but my Philosophy Professor, and my PoliSci Professor both worked to indoctrinate me into a lefty philosophy. I would turn in papers with a Right-Leaning POV and they would give me grades much lower than I earned when I turned in papers with a Left-Leaning POV.

They really didn't even attempt to hide it, their derisive comments toward any opinion not matching with their POV made it difficult for a student that had opposing POV to succeed.

The only way I kept my GPA up was to study their work and keep my dialogue within their opinion. I would have passed, but I wanted to keep my Magna cum Laude status. I therefore faked being lefty and succeeded. My left-leaning papers sucked in value to papers that I would have written working within my own POV.

Many people on the left never see it because it is their POV that is being pushed. As the left sends groups to shout down speakers of a different opinion working to shut down their right to free speech. It was an uncomfortable place to be in, and definitely indoctrination. I read these kind of stories from many around the nation, however no clear study has been done to give empirical evidence of this and therefore cannot post anything but anecdotal evidence but it is my own experience that leads me to believe that it is an issue.

micro example :

So , WAY back, in the late 1900's I had to do a research paper for English Comp 1, I picked gun control and the teacher says Sure, but I think once you start researching it you'll probably change your mind and feel pro control..........

Both the school and local libraries had a hald dozen or more books and another few dozen periodical articles...Nothing was pro gun rights, nothing was even neutral.....This was beforre the 'net ( if you can remember that far back ). Bookstores were no more help. I got an A writing about how evil firearms jump out of drawers and shoot children and wives of ignorant red necks every Saturday night all over America. And I just knew, in my gut , it was all bullshit.

I had just come home from basic training and MP School ( N. Guard ) and had spent a lot of time working with the 45 pistol, M16 rifle and M60 machine gun. No one died by mistake the whole time.

nakedemperor said:

Hardly any news here. By and large college students tend to be idealistic twits whose heads are filled with propoganda spouted by leftist radical professors who were busy during the 1960s popping acid, lsd, cocaine while burning their draft cards. No doubt they still hear tales of the alleged collusion between Republicans and the so-called "military-industrial complex". No doubt they are still being told that Democrats are free spirits and the Republicans are "the man".

The fact that so many college students see through this crap and think for themselves gives me at least some hope for the future of this country.

fubar said:
Emperor ? You're in college now aren't you ? maybe grad school ? never had a real job, everyone you know is a student, or a teacher. Don't know any soldiers, certainly never been one. Most of the people you who actually work, work for the university, spending grant money to research fish populations or aquifer contamination.

Have you noticed that the intellectual/academic idols of the Left try to explain the big picture and long view to the rest of us even though, they, like you, haven't really ever left the campus, except to "go abroad " to hang with other academics ?

And , excuse me please for getting personal, but you are a gay man as well, aren't you ? Without putting a value judgement on your life, you travel and associate with an even smaller world of people who see things your way.

Fubar, you were mostly correct in your assumptions;

Junior in college. Know vastly more people than students and teachers. Know dozens of soldiers, my best friend is a marine.

The idea that intellectuals have never 'left the campus' is prevalent in some circles-- literary criticism, molecular/biological sciences, etc. But I think this a minority; the majority have vast stores of like experience.

I took a semester off to live in Olneyville and serve as a mentor and literacy tutor; living in project housing and mentoring the underprivleged would definitely count as having 'left the campus' in my book.

I am bisexual, but have never had a close or consistant gay or bisexual friend. The stereotype of gays seeking and living in their own communities is not universal.

I believe that conservatives by and large don't give the young enough credit. They're walking tabula rasae wandering around waiting for some professor to etch his beliefs into them? Puh-lease. Critical thinking exists before you hit menopause.

nakedemperor said:
I believe that conservatives by and large don't give the young enough credit.

On the contrary, I find most young conservatives to be generally very intelligent and mature - especially in contrast to their liberal contemporaries.

Flying Duck said:
On the contrary, I find most young conservatives to be generally very intelligent and mature - especially in contrast to their liberal contemporaries.

This isn't contrary to the statement "conservatives don't give the young enough credit".

You statement would be contrary to the statement "young conservarives aren't intelligent or mature".

nakedemperor said:
This isn't contrary to the statement "conservatives don't give the young enough credit".

You statement would be contrary to the statement "young conservarives aren't intelligent or mature".

Wanna nitpick, eh? OK, I'll play.

I took it to understand that your statement meant that conservatives do not give ALL young people enough credit so I chose to point out that, ON THE CONTRARY, I do give SOME young people credit, the consrevative ones. Get it?

Now, if you had specified that conservatives do not give young, liberal, overly idealistic young people credit, then you might have a point.

Cheers

Forum List

Back