College Should Be Free! (For Americans)

krypto

May 16, 2016
There are other countrues where college is free. France for one. I suppose they think that having highly educated people is good for their society in general. I might have even stayed in school if I thought there was a snowball's chance in hell of my ever being able to afford college.

Free college would be good for America and would increase the size of our economy like nothing else. The thing is the loserterians hate it because educated people = people that understand that society needs some government and a loser to loserterians.

There are other countrues where college is free. France for one. I suppose they think that having highly educated people is good for their society in general. I might have even stayed in school if I thought there was a snowball's chance in hell of my ever being able to afford college.

I agree, colleges should stop collecting tuition.

Just make college affordable, as it once was. My tuition at a large state university for a full load of classes senior year was $593. I wrote the check and thought nothing of it....in 1982. That same college now would cost about $15k...not many college kids can write that check.

Who is to blame for the huge increase in college tuition?

Just make college affordable, as it once was. My tuition at a large state university for a full load of classes senior year was $593. I wrote the check and thought nothing of it....in 1982. That same college now would cost about $15k...not many college kids can write that check.

When my husband attended Indiana U law school the tuition was around 10K a year, that was 2003,today it's $31,800 a year.

Endless buckets of government money.

College shouldn't be free. It mostly benefits middle and upper classes. And it's benefits accrue to those who complete it. The government shouldn't be subsidizing those who can afford it the most.

But education has to change. It's model is archaic and is pretty much the same as it was 100 years ago.

Eventually, technology will render the model obsolete.

Free college does not have any dir ct correlation to success for the students. As a matter of fact, we have a trillion dollars of student debt and more people,than ever witha college degree and more college graduates than ever cannot find the work they think they are entitled to. Blue collar like jobs have become as financially attractive as college degree,types. If I was a young person today plumbing, machinist, welder, surveyer would all be on my radar. The chances of working in these fields and owning your own business in short order is enormous, lots of opportunity. The hegemony of the sheepskin is over with.

dems

they started giving grants for 1/2 the cost, no matter how much, and loans for the other half, no matter how much.

so colleges, with a wink and a nudge from dems, out inflated everything on the planet in cost.

I never went to stinking college and glad that I did not. My friends who went to college are destitute today and live hand to mouth. I attended the School of Hard Knocks and never regretted it.

So simple to understand...

13227023_1092828324093611_6166070026319714336_n.jpg

There are two sides to the "Free College" coin. Americans like to embrace the "free" side, but the "college" side - not so much.

Because we have universally adopted the ridiculous notion that a college education should be available for anyone who wants one. Consequently, our colleges cater to millions of young "adults" who are, to put it bluntly, "not college material." They teach remedial courses, their level of academic rigor is a joke, and most of the offered college majors are irrelevant, worthless nonsense. Ethnic studies? Are you kidding me?

Germany has "free" universities, but the requirements for admission are rigorous, and not subject to distortion based on race, gender, or other extraneous factors.

I would wholeheartedly support "free" college at state schools for the top 20% of 18-year-olds, based on QUANTITATIVE criteria - mainly objective test scores. For the other 80%, they would be free to go anywhere they could afford to go - at their own expense, with no government loans or subsidies.

And I submit that diplomas from such state colleges would be quite valuable, as employers would know that the students are all top-notch, and the coursework is no nonsense.

But of course, excellence in education is a fantastical pipe dream as long as Lefties control Academe. They would insist on "diversity" in the "free" state universities, which would in-turn require watered-down course work, bullshit majors, and we would be no better off than we are now.

Free college is all about mind control and not economic mobility. Hence Obama can claim that if you went to college you are an intellectual who understands how great everything he proposes is. If you didn't go and get brainwashed you are ignorant. All one has to do is check the polling about cultural issues and find out how many millenials are untraditional, read smart. Yet man in the street after man in the street interviews show how uneducated they are. check and see how many conservatives are allowed to speak or operate on college campuses and one will learn all they need to know about so called higher education.

Free college? Doesn't exist.

100% taxpayer subdized college? Very bad idea.

But these blow hards insisting that any degree other than Engineering is "totally useless!" do NOT understand 'education' or the free market.

Free college would be good for America and would increase the size of our economy like nothing else. The thing is the loserterians hate it because educated people = people that understand that society needs some government and a loser to loserterians.

I would hope it would make our society better. But giving it a shot would be better than not giving it a shot at all. I would also hope that it improved our economy. But let's say everybody on the planet was Stephen Hawkings good at mathematics. How much demand would there be for mathematicians. Also, according to a news program I was watching once, China is awash with unemployed engineers. Obviously simply having the training isn't enough. And from what I hear, having a college education here in the U.S. is no guarantee of finding employment.

Forum List

Back