College says 9/11 memorial posters offensive to Muslim students

Discussion in 'Education' started by MindWars, Aug 30, 2018.

1. Tilly

Tilly Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Erob: Where the Sun Sets West of Phoenecia
    Ratings:
    +18,674
    Not at all, Coyote, I just thought OL was trying to pull a fast one :wink_2:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Tilly

Tilly Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Erob: Where the Sun Sets West of Phoenecia
    Ratings:
    +18,674
    If you don’t want things to get personal, stop projecting your failed assumptions thus:

‘You obviously don't want them their exercising THEIR rights, do you?
    Same old, same old arm twisting and bawling that people are disagreeing with you.’

3. Ghost of a Rider

Ghost of a Rider Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I think a good question to ask is: Are you more upset that these terror attacks killed thousands of innocent people or are you more upset that a conservative group pointed out that most were committed by radical Muslims?

How does a poster like the one below put an end to racism by cops?

Carson-Ellis.jpg
    One could say that this foments bigotry against police officers. You know as well as I do that trust in cops is way down and anger and resentment against law enforcement in general has become toxic due to the all the hateful rhetoric out there, to the point that good cops are being targeted.

How would it end terrorism?[/quote]

The poster or the agenda? The poster won't end terrorism but the agenda might. With the help of posters like this to raise awareness.

How does a poster like the one above address the many complex factors that drive some officers to shoot unarmed blacks?

Not forgetting.

What does this have to do with conservatives and liberals?[/quote]

It was a college conservative group that put up the poster. Considering all the demonizing and vilifying of conservatives and Republicans going on right now, I can't help but think that that has a lot to do with all the controversy.

Another "Have you stopped beating your wife" approach. This question is based on your premise that it is a campaign of hate and the assumption that I agree that it is. I do not.

Like good cops being murdered? Are you okay with that?

Are there better ways? Probably. Does that make this way wrong? No.

Oklahoma City did not stem from any ideology, it was just a guy pissed off at the government. Most of the others were perpetrated by radical Muslims who share a hate-filled ideology.

One says "never forget" and the other says "never forget". Yeah, I can see how it might be the message.

Whether they did or not is irrelevant to the fact that they made an issue of it in the first place. They may not have torn it down but they did try to dissuade them from putting it up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Coyote

Coyote Varmint Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,394
    I think a better question is why are you making this about liberals and conservatives? You are assuming that means something to me. It doesn't. That is twice you have tried to interject it into the conversation.

I am more interested in posters, ideas and actions that lead to solutions. What solutions would this lead to? If it led to increased violence towards people percieved as Muslim...is that acceptable collateral damage in your view?

There are many ways to remember.

The stuff on police shootings and such is really another topic with a different set of underlying issues to it.

5. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,575
    It's a valid step in MEMORIALIZING --- that for some damn reason, leftists tend to want to leave out. It's a MEANINGFUL RESOLUTION to "never forget". As in bombing the crap out of ISIS in Syria, Iraq, Yemen, and Afghanistan which leftists seem to support anyways. At least when THEIR team is in power.

When American journalists or citizens overseas get beheaded by the "JV Team" -- we're SUPPOSED to respond. So you're enlisted in that decision.

I watched my Libertarian candidate get ambushed at 7AM by snarky Morning Joe staff with the question -- "What would YOU do about Aleppo"??? That's a question EVERY American needs to ponder when they acquiesce to using the awesome power of the American military. YOU and I are drafted to weigh in on those kind of decisions.

Now my tribe might not KNOW what to do about "Aleppo" because there is virtually nothing you can do to fix a city reduced to marbles and dust. And my tribe has a 25 yr consistent record of OPPOSING regime changes in the Middle East at the slightest whim. A policy that has LED to creating sucking voids of power PERFECT for breeding Radical Islamist extremists. But the cogent answer would have been to kiss Assad's ass, not get in the way of him restoring order to his country UNLESS he requests it --- and organizing a WORLD plan for creating safe corridors and zones for the refugees TO STAY in the Levant area.

Neither the Dems or Repubs see it that way. That's the discussion that we NEVER HAVE. And it's killing this country.. So I ENCOURAGE "remembering" and having the conversion. Apparently -- you and others of your tribe don't..

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. flacaltenn

flacaltenn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +28,575
    I'm not in a 50 yr coma (just checked) and did not MISS any of those real events -- so I can't answer your question. The events on that poster will be relevant 100 years from now because it's history that for some reason -- you want to bury.

You underestimate College students. As tho none of them have family or friends in the Armed Forces or relatives in foreign posts.

Although some are even FATALLY naive. Did you see the story about SJW couple that went biking thru one of the "stans" and got slaughtered by Islamists? They had written about how it was just a misunderstanding and love and contact would cure all.. I'll link it for you if you haven't. You're not one of those ---- are you? :shok: Not to be entirely snarky, but SEEING that poster might have saved their lives by THINKING about how dangerous their "peace mission" would be. Seriously...

You have an irrational fear of acknowledging a conflict. A conflict for which YOUR COUNTRY BOMBS about 3 Arab states or more every year. Why is that? Why can you not ADMIT there is an enemy and a threat and work for HELPING folks realize who it actually is?

This "all-in" protection of ANY "muslim" is what gets your ass kicked repeatedly. All you need to do is to ACKNOWLEDGE that's it's YOU with irrational fear of involving innocent Muslims in America and ADMIT these animals ARE a danger to this country and ESPECIALLY THE MUSLIMS they are killing by the 10s of thousands in their own homelands.

You think you're helping 3 million dead or displaced Syrian muslims by attacking that poster? Wanna see the posters from SYRIA?? Are THEY afraid they or their kids can't figure out who the enemy is?

• Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  7. MaryL

MaryL Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,666
    America is waiting for a message or another, Here it is: "Immigrate legally" Nobody is above the law. Not Mexicans that ignore immigration law, or anyone that that empowers them .Sorry kids, that's that facts. They aren't beautiful victims. Sorry, nothing like that.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  8. BookShaka

BookShaka VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,303
    They should be offended. I’d be offended too.

9. Ghost of a Rider

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I already explained that to you. Asking again will only get you the same explanation. But let me explain again anyway: The poster was put up by a college conservative group and in my opinion, given the current hostile climate against conservatives in this country and the fact that colleges are overwhelmingly liberal, I think that differing political views are what sparked the controversy. Am I wrong? Maybe. But not even you can deny that conservatives these days are being viewed as not much more than Nazis in pickups.

No, it is not. But I don't share your view that it would.

The disconnect here is that you are arguing from the assumption that their motive was racist as if it was fact. Put simply, you don't know this.

And this is one of them.

This is just another strawman argument based on the false premise that because there are other or better ways, this one is wrong. That's kind of like saying it's wrong to drive a Prius to the Grand Canyon because a BMW is better.

No kidding. The topic is not about radical Muslim terrorism, it's about how to memorialize victims and whether or not this poster had sincere motives behind it and whether or not this type of memorial is helpful in combating hate. The poster I posted is germane to that topic and was used as an example of the same type of poster being used in another cause. If this type of poster is inappropriate in this case then so is the one memorializing black victims of police shootings.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ghost of a Rider

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +518
    I'm not sure what happened, I received the e-mail alert that you responded to my post but when I got here it was apparently deleted or something. So I copy and pasted from the e-mail and am responding here.

My assumption was not that you cared, my assumption was that you had not considered it. Since you say you don't care, I would say my assumption was correct.

Maybe you would and maybe you wouldn't have expressed similar concerns. The point is that the same type of poster for a different cause raised zero eyebrows.

I don't know about anything involving Trump and Antifa/BLM images.

The difference here is that I make no claims about the image and my assumption is based on taking the poster at face value, i.e., a series of terror attacks and the admonition not to forget. At face value, I take this to mean not to forget the terror attacks and the hate behind them.

Those criticizing the poster are the ones who went a step further and inferred Islamaphobia based only on the fact that all the attacks depicted were committed by radical Muslims. Given the fact that so many terror attacks are committed by radical Muslims, I feel it's a silly inference.

The person (Spencer Brown) who apparently made the claim that the posters were barred works at the YAF headquarters in Virginia. The school is in Wisconsin and the posters were put up there so I don't know that the school's YAF chapter had anything to do with the false claim.

Having said that, as for questioning motives, my first instinct is to say that Brown jumped the gun out of paranoia stemming from the fact that conservatives these days are being viewed as lower class citizens.

The school is incorrect when they say "radical Islamist terrorism “represents a small percentage of the terrorist attacks that happened to this country..."

Only three of the twelve terror attacks since 1980 listed here at CNN's website were not committed by Muslim terrorists. In addition, according to this site, the terror attacks listed from 2000 to 2014 are overwhelmingly committed by Muslim terrorists.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1