College Republicans - they sure do seem to have a lot of medical problems

A fair question.

We might ask liberals why they aren't all moving to the inner city to help the poor instead of going to college.

• Banned
A fair question.

We might ask liberals why they aren't all moving to the inner city to help the poor instead of going to college.

They are
http://www.commonground.org/

There are thousands of young people who have volunteered to come to our city to help. Many do not have college degrees, many are taking time off from college to come. And I have yet to meet one who is a BUsh supporter.

Still thousands more join groups like AmeriCorps after graduating. The thing about charity work is it doesn't pay way, you've got to eat matter what your political persuasion. The military is an excellent opportunity for young war mongering Republicans to not only put bread on the table, but to also get money for college and I hear that if you agree to ship out in 30 days from signing, they give you a 20k bonus. To earn enough money to eat doing charity work in the U.S., you've pretty much got to have a college degree.

• Banned
They are

There are thousands of young people who have volunteered to come to our city to help. Many do not have college degrees, many are taking time off from college to come. And I have yet to meet one who is a BUsh supporter.

Still thousands more join groups like AmeriCorps after graduating. The thing about charity work is it doesn't pay way, you've got to eat matter what your political persuasion. The military is an excellent opportunity for young war mongering Republicans to not only put bread on the table, but to also get money for college and I hear that if you agree to ship out in 30 days from signing, they give you a 20k bonus. To earn enough money to eat doing charity work in the U.S., you've pretty much got to have a college degree.

Its very hard to get into the Peace Corps without a college degree. They take people who don't have degrees, but its usually people who have had a lot of relevant work or life experience. The military, on the other hand, will take your signature at age 17 without a H.S. diploma. If the young people on the right really believed in the fight in Iraq, you'd think the military would have TOO MANY recruits - but the OPPOSITE is true.

Appropriate, considering their leader was a cheerleader and not a football player.

George Bush was NOT a "cheerleader". He was a Blue Key Head. Blue Key Heads are selected from the various clusters (groupings of dorms) on the Andover campus and perform a number of functions including touring new students as "buddies", organizing festivities and planning the pre-Andover/Exeter football celebrations. Not a cheerleader. Totally different.

I never liked the "if you support the war you should enlist argument"

However, the current crop of College Republicans (Which I was an active member of during my first two years of college) are something different. With most of them, the support for this war is undaunting and intense. They support war at all costs. However, I have also heard constant jokes from the CR's regarding the intelligence of military people, and other disparaging remarks. To these people, war is like a videogame, and every CR I dealt with really didn't understand the concept that real people are dying over there.

I know this doesn't describe every CR in the country, but it was a little sick to see first hand their attitudes.

Right and how many of them are liberals and how many religious conservatives?

Well, I doubt anyone has ever researched the political makeup of Teach for America applicants; however, I do know that about 20% of Brown's graduating class applies to the program, and the day Brown starts churning out religious conservatives I will eat my hat.

They are

But clearly not all of them, and that's the point. If you're saying that one can't support something without being directly involved, well, that's nuts. Besides, this isn't a game liberals want to play. Their entire purpose in life if to get OTHERS to do their dirty work -- "the government" will do it, taxes will do it, etc.

JeffWartman's note is interesting. I would say this reflects more the neocon chickenhawk business than actual conservatives. Most CR's are nowhere near actual conservatives.

Well, I doubt anyone has ever researched the political makeup of Teach for America applicants; however, I do know that about 20% of Brown's graduating class applies to the program, and the day Brown starts churning out religious conservatives I will eat my hat.

"Applies" being the salient word, not 'accepts' or 'accepted.' Do you have a link to that 20% btw?

No. It's not very intelligent to claim that the only people who should support a war are people who enlist.

But, perhaps you should read the rest of my post for an explanation?

You're post is wrong. It says "They support war at all costs." They don't. They are clearly not willing to pay with their lives.

Their entire purpose in life if to get OTHERS to do their dirty work -- "the government" will do it, taxes will do it, etc.
Uhh, that's what the College Republicans are doing. They want other people to go fight for their cause in Iraq, and they continue to conveniently pretend that the military has plenty of recruits.

Forum List

Back