College Republican: Young People Think GOP are Social Bigots

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
If the election results told us anything, it's that the GOP has some serious soul searching to do. On paper, Mitt Romney's history of accomplishment towered over President Obama's train wreck of a record, so his loss seemed nearly inexplicable. But Mr. Obama carried his key groups so easily that Republicans should give him props for such a feat— and start taking notes. ...

Most kids my age bristle at the word "conservative," and I don't blame them. The right has done nothing to welcome young people.

If Republicans hope to win in 2016 and beyond, they need to change everything about the way they sell themselves. They're viewed by the 18-24 set as the "party of the rich" and as social bigots. ...

Republicans truly are the party of a less intrusive ruling class. Frame the Republican fundamentals—tax less, spend less—as a fresh populist approach instead of Grandpa's adage, and the party is back in business.

Another leg up that the left has is its claim to the moral high ground. The party of pro-choice, pro-gay has such a hold on young people because those are issues they can care about easily. Not many 20-year-olds can hold a coherent conversation about Social Security reform or double taxation, but all of them can argue passionately for gay rights.

As a member of this all-important demographic, I know that neither I nor (almost) anybody else coming of age today supports the Republican social agenda. That's the way the country is moving—so just deal with it. Modernize and prioritize. ...

Sarah Westwood: Advice From a Lonely College Republican - WSJ.com

Most kids my age bristle at the word "conservative," and I don't blame them. The right has done nothing to welcome young people.

It’s becoming the other ‘C’ word.

The path to republican success is clear and obvious; the issue is not what needs to be done, but whether republicans have the wisdom to take that needed action.

There is little wisdom in becoming just as degenerate as democrats. The path to success might be through acceptance of depravity, but it isn't wise. Someone must be ready to provide an alternative foundation when depravity fails.

If the election results told us anything, it's that the GOP has some serious soul searching to do. On paper, Mitt Romney's history of accomplishment towered over President Obama's train wreck of a record, so his loss seemed nearly inexplicable. But Mr. Obama carried his key groups so easily that Republicans should give him props for such a feat— and start taking notes. ...

If Republicans hope to win in 2016 and beyond, they need to change everything about the way they sell themselves. They're viewed by the 18-24 set as the "party of the rich" and as social bigots. ...

Republicans truly are the party of a less intrusive ruling class. Frame the Republican fundamentals—tax less, spend less—as a fresh populist approach instead of Grandpa's adage, and the party is back in business.

Another leg up that the left has is its claim to the moral high ground. The party of pro-choice, pro-gay has such a hold on young people because those are issues they can care about easily. Not many 20-year-olds can hold a coherent conversation about Social Security reform or double taxation, but all of them can argue passionately for gay rights.

As a member of this all-important demographic, I know that neither I nor (almost) anybody else coming of age today supports the Republican social agenda. That's the way the country is moving—so just deal with it. Modernize and prioritize. ...

Gee, After going through an education system Dominated by Liberals I can't imagine why they would think this.

It is difficult to be intellectually discriminating without being accused of bigotry.

Republicans are bigots, and they use Big Government to force their bigoted ideas on people. That's one of the big reasosn I had to leave that party, I hated telling people I was Republican.

There is little wisdom in becoming just as degenerate as democrats. The path to success might be through acceptance of depravity, but it isn't wise. Someone must be ready to provide an alternative foundation when depravity fails.

Im listening right now to who lost the election for you guys. Tell limbaugh and the rest to shut the hell up!

This is no surprise. I thought the same of republicans when I was in school twenty years ago.

Yeah well I got tired of explaining to me entire family and friends that "Yes yes yes, I'm Republican through conservative ideas of limited Government and being fiscally responsible, not the Religious gay hating God pushing, big Government, deficit growing, vagina controlling Neocons that wana kill all the Muslims."

And this is even to people that HAVE voted Republican in their life times, just not anymore.

This is no surprise. I thought the same of republicans when I was in school twenty years ago.

Yeah well I got tired of explaining to me entire family and friends that "Yes yes yes, I'm Republican through conservative ideas of limited Government and being fiscally responsible, not the Religious gay hating God pushing, big Government, deficit growing, vagina controlling Neocons that wana kill all the Muslims."

And this is even to people that HAVE voted Republican in their life times, just not anymore.

Ha! Exactly!

Very true, most college students don't have a clue about economics, business or responsibility, but they have strong views on the environment, gay marriage, abortion and gun control.

Forum List

Back