College Loans...Who should be the Lender?

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
Why is it that colleges and universities are getting off the hook on student loans?

They are taking a king's ransom in tuition and fees, turning out superannuated adolescents who can't get or hold a decent job, and are completely out of the conversation about the student loan crisis.

THEY are the main culprit in the student loan crisis. If they would confine themselves to EDUCATION, stop accepting unprepared students, cut the waste, and shorten the degree period from 4+ years to three, everyone would be in much better shape.

Do we really need a Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion? Do we need a hundred courses containing the word "studies" or "methods"? Do they need 50 NCAA "sports," most of which provide scholarships, and all of which, collectively, lose money for the institution? Do they need professors who teach, maybe, 6 hours a week on a full-time salary? Do they need a 500,000square foot student union? You get the idea.

College tuitions and enrollments could be cut by half and the society would be better for it.

But wouldn't it be nice if the colleges were forced to either provide funding for student loans, or assume a recourse obligation when they default? Maybe not 100%, but a substantial stake.

Why is it that colleges and universities are getting off the hook on student loans?

They are taking a king's ransom in tuition and fees, turning out superannuated adolescents who can't get or hold a decent job, and are completely out of the conversation about the student loan crisis.

THEY are the main culprit in the student loan crisis. If they would confine themselves to EDUCATION, stop accepting unprepared students, cut the waste, and shorten the degree period from 4+ years to three, everyone would be in much better shape.

Do we really need a Vice Provost for Diversity and Inclusion? Do we need a hundred courses containing the word "studies" or "methods"? Do they need 50 NCAA "sports," most of which provide scholarships, and all of which, collectively, lose money for the institution? Do they need professors who teach, maybe, 6 hours a week on a full-time salary? Do they need a 500,000square foot student union? You get the idea.

College tuitions and enrollments could be cut by half and the society would be better for it.

But wouldn't it be nice if the colleges were forced to either provide funding for student loans, or assume a recourse obligation when they default? Maybe not 100%, but a substantial stake.
Obama and the democrats! What a legacy!

I think employers should pay for college

They benefit the most off of it

As for the curriculum; you should be able to study almost anything you want. If the sole determination of the value of a course is some monetary compensation you derive down the road...the society would be poorer for it. There is more to life than just commerce. Now, that being said, if you take out loans to study 14th century music; don't be surprised when you can't find a job at it and your loans are due. That is an easy line to draw. What is more fuzzy is this; lets say you're studying rocket science. And the day you graduate; the President announces that NASA will no longer be funded. Suddenly, your job prospects are dim. Is that your fault? I don't think it is. I think that if the States are going to give out loans under the current system the recipients should be required to attend State colleges and universities. You're sort of funding your own colleges that way.

A winning position would be to set up the higher education system (or part of it) like we did social security to where you get it for free (or close to it) and you pay for it with your future earnings. So you want to become a welder or mechanic or study that 14th century music. You get 60 hours for free. You learn your courses and when you start working; you pay it off over your wage-earning career. Whether or not you become a welder, mechanic or whatever a 14th century musician does doesn't matter. If you deliver pizza; the re-payment comes out of it.

Just one idea.

upload_2018-8-26_22-9-12.png

This could change with television contracts being what they are and all.

I'm sure (or at least I hope) a school like Arizona State or USC makes money on their atheletic program given tickets going for as much as they do and TV and all of that. But what about Cal State Santa Barbara? What about University of Texas at El Paso? What about Western Michigan? They have the same equipment costs, the same travel costs, the same ridiculous costs to operate stadiums...

View attachment 213142

I'm sure (or at least I hope) a school like Arizona State or USC makes money on their atheletic program given tickets going for as much as they do and TV and all of that. But what about Cal State Santa Barbara? What about University of Texas at El Paso? What about Western Michigan? They have the same equipment costs, the same travel costs, the same ridiculous costs to operate stadiums...
I hope so

But wouldn't it be nice if the colleges were forced to either provide funding for student loans, or assume a recourse obligation when they ? Maybe not 100%, but a substantial stake.

How much did it cost for you to attend college?
Higher education received funding from the state at one point. As that money kept decreasing the cost kept rising.

It costs over $600,000 to obtain a degree in law or to become a doctor.

I know you didn't pay that amount.

View attachment 213142

I hope so

Hope what?

But wouldn't it be nice if the colleges were forced to either provide funding for student loans, or assume a recourse obligation when they ? Maybe not 100%, but a substantial stake.

Higher education received funding from the state at one point. As that money kept decreasing the cost kept rising.

Where?

I think college is way overrated. Unless you get a degree from a well ranked college or get a degree that is academically very tough it really isn't worth it.

We need more trade schools and apprenticeship opportunities an less colleges. I know so many guys in trades who are doing way better than college grads.

The problem is most colleges in particular those that have low sat requirements and for profit colleges are in the business of selling dreams to students that most likely won't come true. They make the student feel special and important like they can do anything they want with hard work when in fact intellectual abilities students are born with has a much bigger impact in future jobs than the degrees they get.

It use to be many years ago that the trades were good for your average ability student to find a good paying job after trade school and college was reserved for the top of class kids. Many good paying jobs that require a degree want someone with above average intellect not just average. I have met many just average ability adults who make good money in trades. I have not met many just average ability college grads with easy college degrees with great salaries out of college.

Last edited:

In the 1970s, I paid $8000 for a four year degree in Engineering. Tuition, room and board
My beer bill was slightly higher

In the 1970s, I paid $8000 for a four year degree in Engineering. Tuition, room and board
My beer bill was slightly higher

Lightweight

Forum List

Back