College Football Playoff System

https://sports.yahoo.com/title-game...cent-college-footbalFl-worried-214530894.html

"It exposes a truism about college football – it lacks the true national following of the NFL."

This is why CFB needs to bolster the importance of conference champions being included in the playoffs.

I see so many people clamoring for an expanded playoff. And I see even more people complaining about it being Alabama & Clemson, again.

The game tomorrow night will be a great one. These two teams were, hands down, the best two teams in college football this year. And both are more complete teams than anyone else this year.

How can you not want to see the best of the best play each other?

You’re right about Clemson and Alabama.
However, this isn’t the case every year.

What we have now is much better than the BCS in my humble opinion.

https://sports.yahoo.com/title-game...cent-college-footbalFl-worried-214530894.html

"It exposes a truism about college football – it lacks the true national following of the NFL."

This is why CFB needs to bolster the importance of conference champions being included in the playoffs.

I see so many people clamoring for an expanded playoff. And I see even more people complaining about it being Alabama & Clemson, again.

The game tomorrow night will be a great one. These two teams were, hands down, the best two teams in college football this year. And both are more complete teams than anyone else this year.

I agree that it is much better than the BCS.

Just from what I’ve seen ; There seems like a very large step down from Alabama to Clemson. I think the results tomorrow night will reflect that.

Looking at the AP polls, the next 3 teams are Georgia 11-2, UCF 12-0, and Michigan 10-2 in the playoffs. Washington State has a record of 10-2. And their biggest loss was by 13 points to the conference champs. Georgia had 2 losses, but one of them was by 20 points. Michigan had 2 losses, including a loss by 23 points. If there is no human polling, why would Washington State not get the nod?

I am a PAC12 fan, but I wouldn't be upset just because a Washington State wasn't included in an 8 team playoff. However, I would limit each conference to a maximum of 2 teams in the playoffs.

P5 Teams have a big advantage in recruiting. In Utah, byu is losing a lot of recruits to Utah because the appeal of playing in the pac12.
byu is trying desperately to get into the big12 but isn't having much luck
San Diego State also has tried hard for entry. I wouldn't mind seeing the two enter together but there are academic and
institutional requirements that have to be met.

I am a PAC12 fan, but I wouldn't be upset just because a Washington State wasn't included in an 8 team playoff. However, I would limit each conference to a maximum of 2 teams in the playoffs.
So am I and I would be upset. The CFS playoffs work fine (my alma matter has played in the championship twice now).
Greed is what's stopping the big boy programs from doing the same.

P5 Teams have a big advantage in recruiting. In Utah, byu is losing a lot of recruits to Utah because the appeal of playing in the pac12.
San Diego State also has tried hard for entry. I wouldn't mind seeing the two enter together but there are academic and

Here is a scenario for picking the 3 non-P5 champions:

1. Best win-loss record. (If a non-P5 team is undefeated, it gets in.)
2. Tie breakers: Non-P5 conference champions first, then greatest scoring differential, the most points scored, then least points allowed, then coin flip.
3. No polls, no committees, no votes.

Here is a scenario for picking the 3 non-P5 champions:

1. Best win-loss record. (If a non-P5 team is undefeated, it gets in.)
2. Tie breakers: Non-P5 conference champions first, then greatest scoring differential, the most points scored, then least points allowed, then coin flip.
3. No polls, no committees, no votes.

Don’t like #1. I think UH went undefeated or 12-1 one year and when they actually played a good team, they got rolled up something like 50-3 or something like that.

Love #2 except I’d have a lot more things before the coin flip though. If you’re VA Tech and outscore Western Carolina A&T 108-0, should that factor into whether you make it into the playoffs 16 weeks later? I don’t think so. I’d like to see average point differential where you throw out the top one or two margins and the bottom two margins. Like if you had the 108-0 in week one against A&T and a 24-21 win against Michigan in week 12; both would theoretically get thrown out and your “average” would be from the other 11 games.

Love the idea of #3.

I know that this subject has been debated ad nauseam, but the current Committee system may be the worst yet. Virtually the entire CFB schedule is based on competing within conferences in order to determine conference champions. Why should this fact be ignored when selecting which teams should be allowed to compete for a national championship?

It seems that only conference champions (or top rated independents) should be considered for this honor. The biggest problem with this idea is that there are five major conferences, which would require an extra playoff game in order to accommodate all eligible conference champions and independents. However, the last extra game involves only two teams, so this would seem to be an exaggerated consideration. Even under the current four team playoff, the lowest ranking of the eligible teams could be excluded.

I am not a fan of any particular conference or team to be selected. Rather, I see the current system as undermining one of the most appealing facets of college football: Intra-conference rivalries. Let's resolve to preserve this the next time around.

IF they only let the best teams in then they may as well change the name of the college playoffs to the SEC championship...............plus Clemson.

Just from what I’ve seen ; There seems like a very large step down from Alabama to Clemson. I think the results tomorrow night will reflect that.

I jinxed 'Bama.

I know that this subject has been debated ad nauseam, but the current Committee system may be the worst yet. Virtually the entire CFB schedule is based on competing within conferences in order to determine conference champions. Why should this fact be ignored when selecting which teams should be allowed to compete for a national championship?

It seems that only conference champions (or top rated independents) should be considered for this honor. The biggest problem with this idea is that there are five major conferences, which would require an extra playoff game in order to accommodate all eligible conference champions and independents. However, the last extra game involves only two teams, so this would seem to be an exaggerated consideration. Even under the current four team playoff, the lowest ranking of the eligible teams could be excluded.

I am not a fan of any particular conference or team to be selected. Rather, I see the current system as undermining one of the most appealing facets of college football: Intra-conference rivalries. Let's resolve to preserve this the next time around.
Don't care. Kids are there to learn

And some pay for their education by playing football.

And some pay for their education by playing football.

:th_Back_2_Topic_2:

Forum List

Back