College Football Playoff System

jwoodie

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2012
I know that this subject has been debated ad nauseam, but the current Committee system may be the worst yet. Virtually the entire CFB schedule is based on competing within conferences in order to determine conference champions. Why should this fact be ignored when selecting which teams should be allowed to compete for a national championship?

It seems that only conference champions (or top rated independents) should be considered for this honor. The biggest problem with this idea is that there are five major conferences, which would require an extra playoff game in order to accommodate all eligible conference champions and independents. However, the last extra game involves only two teams, so this would seem to be an exaggerated consideration. Even under the current four team playoff, the lowest ranking of the eligible teams could be excluded.

I am not a fan of any particular conference or team to be selected. Rather, I see the current system as undermining one of the most appealing facets of college football: Intra-conference rivalries. Let's resolve to preserve this the next time around.

P5 Teams have a big advantage in recruiting. In Utah, byu is losing a lot of recruits to Utah because the appeal of playing in the pac12.
byu is trying desperately to get into the big12 but isn't having much luck

As we near the end of the regular season, I think the 4 teams will be:

Clemson
Alabama
Ohio State or Iowa
Oklahoma State

If Oklahoma beats OK State and Notre Dame beats Stanford, it could put ND into the playoffs. I think they will lose in the first round, as will OSU.

Obviously I should not quit my day job to become a sports prognosticator.

Newest list of the teams I think will be in the playoff:

1) Clemson
2) Alabama
3) Big 10 Champ -
4) Oklahoma

Between Oklahoma and Notre Dame, I think OK gets the nod because of their status as a conference champ, even without a final game. If the PAC12 had a one loss team, they would take the slot.

There seems to be some controversy concerning the latest Playoff poll.

Oklahoma jumped over Notre Dam in the polls. Yes, ND defeated Texas soundly, while Oklahoma lost to the Longhorns. But when you look at the overall body of work this season, Oklahoma played 6 teams with a winning record, while Notre Dame only played 5 teams who have won more than they lost. ND played 3 ranked teams while OK played only 2. (currently ranked) But both teams have beaten 2 ranked teams.

I think being an independent hurts Notre Dame.

Here is my list:

What fool team wants to be the sacrificial lamb for Alabama?

Like last year? Alabama was supposed to crush Ohio St. Then roll over Oregon. It didn't happen.

That's because Alabama came up against Urban Meyer, a former SEC coach.

The fact is that the SEC has ruled the NCAA for about 2 decades, except for the lone OSU win last year. There is no realy parity in the NCAA

Here is my list:

Like last year? Alabama was supposed to crush Ohio St. Then roll over Oregon. It didn't happen.

The fact is that the SEC has ruled the NCAA for about 2 decades, except for the lone OSU win last year. There is no realy parity in the NCAA

Florida St. won the year before, before that the SEC has been dominant but I being a Bama fan don't see it the way you seem to. Parity is the rule the last three years. Any one of the top four will be able to upset any of the top four.

Here is my list:

We were overrated last year. I was hoping for payback this year. Oklahoma makes me the most nervous. But I think we can beat anyone out there.

I think you are right, the Tide is my favorite to repeat. I hope they can get it done but these playoffs, anything can happen. I am not to worried about Clemson but I agree with you on Oklahoma.

Here is my list:

Florida St. won the year before, before that the SEC has been dominant but I being a Bama fan don't see it the way you seem to. Parity is the rule the last three years. Any one of the top four will be able to upset any of the top four.

I am a Bama fan, but I am a realistic Bama fan. Yes, I think we have the potential to win it all. Yes, I think our defense is the best this year. But ONLY if our guys play well and don't screw it up. The team that lost to Ole Miss is not the same team that destroyed LSU.

Here I am in 2019 watching the Rose Bowl game between two Power Five Conference champions who were VOTED out of a chance to play for the "national championship." Does anyone else understand the absurdity of this situation? Shouldn't CFB teams PLAY their way into championship games?

Instead of the current beauty pageant selection process, there needs to be an 8 team playoff system which includes ALL of the P5 conference champions (plus 3 at-large picks). This would allow for preserving the traditional Rose Bowl match up of P12 and B10 champions as part of the playoff system. The other three major Bowl match ups could be determined by a seeding system.

Comments?

Here I am in 2019 watching the Rose Bowl game between two Power Five Conference champions who were VOTED out of a chance to play for the "national championship." Does anyone else understand the absurdity of this situation? Shouldn't CFB teams PLAY their way into championship games?

Instead of the current beauty pageant selection process, there needs to be an 8 team playoff system which includes ALL of the P5 conference champions (plus 3 at-large picks). This would allow for preserving the traditional Rose Bowl match up of P12 and B10 champions as part of the playoff system. The other three major Bowl match ups could be determined by a seeding system.

Comments?

And then the number 9 and 10 teams would be whining like Ohio State and Georgia are now.

Beauty contest? Hardly. But when you lose 2 games, and other teams in the Power 5 conferences lose only 1, you don't get in.
And when you get beaten like a redheaded step-child by an unranked, crappy team, and another team loses 1 game to a ranked team, you don't get in.

And if you are considered part of the Power 5 conferences, even if you aren't in a conference, and you go undefeated, you get in. I never thought Notre Dame was as good as they pretended, but to lock them out and take either Ohio State or Georgia would be ridiculous.

I know that this subject has been debated ad nauseam, but the current Committee system may be the worst yet. Virtually the entire CFB schedule is based on competing within conferences in order to determine conference champions. Why should this fact be ignored when selecting which teams should be allowed to compete for a national championship?

It seems that only conference champions (or top rated independents) should be considered for this honor. The biggest problem with this idea is that there are five major conferences, which would require an extra playoff game in order to accommodate all eligible conference champions and independents. However, the last extra game involves only two teams, so this would seem to be an exaggerated consideration. Even under the current four team playoff, the lowest ranking of the eligible teams could be excluded.

I am not a fan of any particular conference or team to be selected. Rather, I see the current system as undermining one of the most appealing facets of college football: Intra-conference rivalries. Let's resolve to preserve this the next time around.

Let’s be clear- there is no playoff system. There are a group of people in a room who choose 4 teams. It’s about 5% better than the AP voting.

Let’s be clear- there is no playoff system. There are a group of people in a room who choose 4 teams. It’s about 5% better than the AP voting.

With the number of teams in the FBS division, there is no way to have teams play enough game to make the playoffs work without having some human selection.

The person that revived this thread is angry because a team with 3 losses and a team with a bad loss to an unranked nobody didn't get into the playoffs. They should have gotten in.

You have to remember this is still College and they are still in school.............can't drag it out forever.........they play enough games already while still going to school.

The playoff is better than it was before..............and the number 1 versus 2 is about to go at it. And they are the best in the country right now.............

Notre Dame won out.........Oklahoma had the Heisman quarterback..........they didn't do a bad job this year...........

UCF went down to LSU...........seems they made the right decision there.

You have to remember this is still College and they are still in school.............can't drag it out forever.........they play enough games already while still going to school.

The playoff is better than it was before..............and the number 1 versus 2 is about to go at it. And they are the best in the country right now.............

Notre Dame won out.........Oklahoma had the Heisman quarterback..........they didn't do a bad job this year...........

UCF went down to LSU...........seems they made the right decision there.

Well said.

Of course, my question is whether or not Notre Dame is that bad or if Clemson is that good. Plus, Clemson has been there before.

I wouldn't mind the CFP being expanded to 8 teams. We could have January madness with a No. 8 Team upsetting a no. 1 Team.

I wouldn't mind the CFP being expanded to 8 teams. We could have January madness with a No. 8 Team upsetting a no. 1 Team.

I think we would still have the #9 and #10 teams whining about not getting it. But I am all for an expanded playoff.

I think having the top 8 teams play this year would have resulted in the same 2 teams playing for the championship.

Forum List

Back