College football National Championship - Clemson versus Alabama

If Nebraska had cheated the way Clemson did and utilized a pick instead of playing by the rules, they would have scored on their 2-point try against Miami in 1983 and would have won the national championship.

It was not an illegal pick. The Bama defender actually threw the receiver down in the path. Thus no flag

-Geaux
The Clemson receiver initiated contact and prevented the defense from switching.
Bad way to end a game like that.

Congrats to Clemson from one that bleeds it. Love my Tide no matter. Took a Bama boy to beat us. ;) Not super happy with the 2 picks, but it is what it is, but Dabo plays dirty. That surprises me a bit. Kinda sorta. :lol:

No flags like the target hit on Williams. Not sure they were illegal picks. Bama needed to adjust the spacing of their defenders

-Geaux
I am no expert with college football rules. Many are saying that the picks were perfectly legal. The no call by the refs and the way Clemson Players and coaches openly admit to the picks make me think that opinion is correct.
Yes, Clemson ran a ‘pick play’ to beat Alabama. But it was totally legal.
No, they're illegal but not subject to review apparently.
Here's a clip from the 1991 Orange Bowl.
At the 0:41 mark at the 31 yard line. That bad call gave Colorado the national championship.

That was on a punt.

Pick plays? Rules experts weigh in on Clemson's 2 late TDs against Alabama

I disagree with that interpretation. When a player gains an advantage from a mutual contact then the penalty needs to be called. Much like basketball. Contact often occurs without a foul call unless a player gains an advantage from the contact.
Clemson clearly benefitted from the contact. It's a terrible way to end a game.

Your explanation is different from what I read in several explanations of pick plays (relative to pass plays) when I did a simple search. The link I posted above is Al.com, a source that should align with Alabama if they were cheated.
Anyway, I accept that you disagree. Although a big deal is made over this football game, it's still just a game.

Forum List

Back