College degree ignorance

n practice it's irrelevant, it depends on what people are willing to pay for.

To a millionaire with a lot of money to spend, a collector's item might be worth more than an average person would couldn't imagine spending millions of dollars on a baseball card.
What do you mean it's irrelevant? Worth is what someone is willing to pay- value is a pre-determined worth to the holder- "might" is an ambiguous way out- Bill Gates didn't finish college- what's "it" worth to him? To the college, the same amount as they would charge you- the difference being, Bill Gates wouldn't have to go in debt- you on the other hand-
I agree, most of Bill Gates' entrepreneurship wasn't limited to what he learned in college, from his parents, or his degree (or lack thereof).

I was simply saying that, in practice, as far as economics is concerned, it's worth is what people are willing to pay for it or ascribe to it, not what you believe it "should be worth", or comparisons you make between it and other alternatives.

I personally wouldn't think that paying to learn something in college which could be better learned in reading books on one's own is a worthy investment of time and money, in practice though, some people would disagree, and some companies or individuals may have an infatuation with things such as the "brand image" that degrees from certain universities possess, so in practice, it seems to me what you're doing is arguing against what you see as "unfairness", rather than merely acknowledging what actually is.

And yes, I personally find "STEM degrees" to be ugly, as I'm sure many women do - not "STEM" itself, necessarily, but most of the so-called degrees which barely offer any depth or mastery of such a field to begin with, and are primarily intended to create boring, crass "workmen", not mavens or masters of any such field - hence my personal investment in entrepreneurship.

Last edited:
It's not what you learn in college ... it's who you meet ...

These tend to become life-long friendships ... just one makes it big and they'll hire all their buddies from college ... the CEO who graduated Harvard is going to hire other graduates from Harvard ... Astrophysics is hard, only the smartest get that degree, but there's few jobs ... luckily the roommate got on with Boeing and they'll help get a job there ...

A degree in late 17th Century French literature? ... well, there's teaching, being a social worker for child welfare, executive secretary, work for an investment bank ... Jenna Marbles has a Master's degree, she's doing alright being a potty-mouth on YouTube ...

I dropped out of high school after 10th grade ... those six extra years in the job market put me in management by the time kids my age graduated college ... they didn't like having to take orders from me ... they hate me for retiring 20 years before they will ... if you want a fun job, go to college; you want to make money, skip school, work hard ...

At this point, the basic ignorance of a lot of people regarding "college degrees" is surprising.

Some people claim that college degrees which end up being "worthless" or fail to get them the job they wished are a "scam".

But the reality is that no one can force a company to "hire you", no matter how stellar your degrees or resume.

College degrees are like money - people invest in them because they have faith that they're worth something, when on their own they are just pieces of paper - ultimately it's up to the companies delegation or discretion who to hire.

(And from the research I done, most jobs are actually acquired through networking or personal contacts, whether family members, coworkers, college facualty, or otherwise - whether or not there is a "degree" in involved, not merely those posted on a list of "jobs wanted").

This is effectively what all jobs are and how they are acquired - at the basic level, it's just common sense - jobs are acquired through contracts or negotiation of deals, regardless of what that entails, such as a specific degree.

Some people just seem to naively want to believe that everything is "guaranteed" if they just follow this or that set of instructions, when the reality is more dynamic and complicated than that.
Some think that a degree in underwater basket weaving should lead to a great job.
There are only so many that are looking to hire art history majors, there are only so many that want English lit majors.
No matter how many degrees you have there is no guarantee that they will lead to a job. Most companies hire not only on degrees they hire on other criteria. Things like work experience, work history, your ability to interact with others.

The only thing that guarantees you a job is yourself. I retired from a job that normally required a degree in geology or similar. I had one year of college. I worked my way up from the bottom proving that I could do jobs as well or better then others. In the end I had more knowledge, experience and could make proper snap decisions better then most coming to the job with a college education. I worked in a number of states and in places around the globe.
Overall I don't buy into these simplistic dichotomies no.

Some people may learn a subject and go on to teach it in academia; as far as "arts" go, graphics design and video game design are examples of "arts" which involve mathematical or computational knowledge, so the silly "art / math" dichotomy is false. (And I'm sure there's no work of art historically, such as Michelangelo's Birth of Venus which didn't require high mathematical skill.

Ultimately it's up to the person what they try to pursue in life, and what risks they're willing to take to pursue it.

Spoken like someone with a worthless BA degree and still paying for being taken in as a clueless sucker.
I'm an entrepreneur, your childish opinions are worthless to me.

Degrees are worth as much as people are willing to accept them, much like money.

If your argument is related to the notion of "inherent" worth, rather than worth in the context of a dynamic economy, that's another childish argument altogether.

"Entrepreneur" is a euphemism for lazy slacker without a degree in anything.

At this point, the basic ignorance of a lot of people regarding "college degrees" is surprising.

Some people claim that college degrees which end up being "worthless" or fail to get them the job they wished are a "scam".

But the reality is that no one can force a company to "hire you", no matter how stellar your degrees or resume.

College degrees are like money - people invest in them because they have faith that they're worth something, when on their own they are just pieces of paper - ultimately it's up to the companies delegation or discretion who to hire.

(And from the research I done, most jobs are actually acquired through networking or personal contacts, whether family members, coworkers, college facualty, or otherwise - whether or not there is a "degree" in involved, not merely those posted on a list of "jobs wanted").

This is effectively what all jobs are and how they are acquired - at the basic level, it's just common sense - jobs are acquired through contracts or negotiation of deals, regardless of what that entails, such as a specific degree.

Some people just seem to naively want to believe that everything is "guaranteed" if they just follow this or that set of instructions, when the reality is more dynamic and complicated than that.
Some think that a degree in underwater basket weaving should lead to a great job.
There are only so many that are looking to hire art history majors, there are only so many that want English lit majors.
No matter how many degrees you have there is no guarantee that they will lead to a job. Most companies hire not only on degrees they hire on other criteria. Things like work experience, work history, your ability to interact with others.

The only thing that guarantees you a job is yourself. I retired from a job that normally required a degree in geology or similar. I had one year of college. I worked my way up from the bottom proving that I could do jobs as well or better then others. In the end I had more knowledge, experience and could make proper snap decisions better then most coming to the job with a college education. I worked in a number of states and in places around the globe.

Some people may learn a subject and go on to teach it in academia; as far as "arts" go, graphics design and video game design are examples of "arts" which involve mathematical or computational knowledge, so the silly "art / math" dichotomy is false. (And I'm sure there's no work of art historically, such as Michelangelo's Birth of Venus which didn't require high mathematical skill.

Ultimately it's up to the person what they try to pursue in life, and what risks they're willing to take to pursue it.

Spoken like someone with a worthless BA degree and still paying for being taken in as a clueless sucker.

Degrees are worth as much as people are willing to accept them, much like money.

If your argument is related to the notion of "inherent" worth, rather than worth in the context of a dynamic economy, that's another childish argument altogether.

No, it's a synonym for Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and others who probably earn more per hour than you make per year, since they were willing to invest their time and energy into their pursuits, as opposed to taking the "lazy man" route and pretending that a dime-a-dozen degree is a golden ticket to whatever career they want in life.

What I learned in school and college was so easy, I could practically do it in my sleep - same with the day job's I've had while I was working on my entrepreneurship. The bare minimum SAT or ACT score for college acceptance is practically nothing for a reasonably intelligent individual.

Degrees "en masse", heavily advertised by media are just a 1960s generational fad born out of the post WWII-economic boom; I predict the new fad will be entrepreurship, particularily via Social Media and savvy Millennial men and women who don't meet the pitiful "snowflake" stereotype.

A lot of aging Boomers and even millennials are so sheltered, uninformed, and archaic they don't even realize this, even though social media capitalization is the primary reason that Trump won the election; and I predict the next president will happily capitalize on it as well.

Last edited:

No, it's a synonym for Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, and others who probably earn more per hour than you make per year, since they were willing to invest their time and energy into their pursuits, as opposed to taking the "lazy man" route and pretending that a dime-a-dozen degree is a golden ticket to whatever career they want in life.

What I learned in school and college was so easy, I could practically do it in my sleep - same with the day job's I've had while I was working on my entrepreneurship. The bare minimum SAT or ACT score for college acceptance is practically nothing.

Again, those are excuses for those without a degree. There are always exceptions to the rule, but in most jobs, if you don't have the degree, they won't talk to you. A degree indicates the ability to learn and persevere through and accomplish a goal. That is all. The Navy required a degree for me to get commissioned. My undergrad was in history, with a computer science minor. My first assignment in the Navy was missile fire control radar. Then I did engineering, and a tour in recruiting. I finished my career as an engineer in my last two assignments.

Tim Cook runs Apple. Do you think he is a high school dropout like you? No, he is a fellow alumnus of my college.

Again, those are excuses for those without a degree. There are always exceptions to the rule, but in most jobs, if you don't have the degree, they won't talk to you. A degree indicates the ability to learn and persevere through and accomplish a goal.
I've been to college, I'm an entrepreneur whose been published with a company based out of New York - I honestly don't consider most degree fields a good return on investment in regards to time and learning, in relation to my own potential and "pure learning". I would rather invest my time in starting an enterprise from the ground-up.

Employers, including the US military have their own delegation as to whether or not to require a degree, that says nothing about whether the return on investment in terms of actual learning - time ratio required for a 4-8 year degree is worth the investment, and other than for professional degrees such as law or medicine, I don't believe it is.

I have a book on advanced mathematics from a top mathematician which I read for fun, I wouldn't be particularly inclined to get a degree in mathematics when I can learn more simply reading on my own. Much as in the Information Age, computer programming is a skill which can be learned online and turned into a source of income and entrepreneurship; I wouldn't be inclined to invest 4 years in a computer science degree for less actual learning.

I've encountered enough sheltered or hapless individuals whose only claim is having a degree in something that I'm not impressed. Whiny campus millennials and their overprotective parents are an example of that, as opposed to successful Millennial entrepreneurs who've started viable online business (many of which didn't invest in a degree).

That is all. The Navy required a degree for me to get commissioned. My undergrad was in history, with a computer science minor. My first assignment in the Navy was missile fire control radar. Then I did engineering, and a tour in recruiting. I finished my career as an engineer in my last two assignments.
If you really are a Navy veteran, thank you for your service (I've run into individuals online who lied about their service or fabricated identities) - I googled Admiral Tory and it's the name of a fictional character from a book,

Tim Cook runs Apple. Do you think he is a high school dropout like you? No, he is a fellow alumnus of my college.
High school dropout? My ass. I'd estimate myself to be in the top 1% percentile in terms of language.

The reality is that jobs are made through contracts and deals; family and personal connections are still a factor - college degrees aren't a "magical token" which guarantee jobs, the employer ultimately is the one who has the say whether or not to hire the person - everything I've read from actual entrepreneurs is that real money, as in the "super rich", is made through deals or negotations, as opposed to working for a salary via contract, which is what the "mass college" market is geared to.

I'm not aware of any entrepreur who became who he or she did via what was learned in college alone, or believed that mass education was a "guaranteed job", regardless of whether or not college is on their resume - it's purely consequential and has been for most of history; the "mass education" of the 1960s generation was an economic fad.

Last edited:
I have a father with a Master's degree, he speaks three languages, but was emotionally immature in a lot of ways; also have a brother who developed an indie video game while in private high school (my mother had a bachelor's as well).

So, yes, family plays a role, and I've seen enough people in this generation whose "only" claim is a degree who are still immature and underdeveloped that I'm not impressed enough to invest in it as a "be-all, end-all" life pursuit, especially on the whim of a generational economic fad.

Some people are naive enough to believe what the for profit colleges tell them. Which is guaranteed jobs.

Why For-Profit Colleges Are the Bottom Feeders of the College World

Again, those are excuses for those without a degree. There are always exceptions to the rule, but in most jobs, if you don't have the degree, they won't talk to you. A degree indicates the ability to learn and persevere through and accomplish a goal.
I've been to college, I'm an entrepreneur whose been published with a company based out of New York - I honestly don't consider most degree fields a good return on investment in regards to time and learning, in relation to my own potential and "pure learning". I would rather invest my time in starting an enterprise from the ground-up.

Employers, including the US military have their own delegation as to whether or not to require a degree, that says nothing about whether the return on investment in terms of actual learning - time ratio required for a 4-8 year degree is worth the investment, and other than for professional degrees such as law or medicine, I don't believe it is.

I have a book on advanced mathematics from a top mathematician which I read for fun, I wouldn't be particularly inclined to get a degree in mathematics when I can learn more simply reading on my own. Much as in the Information Age, computer programming is a skill which can be learned online and turned into a source of income and entrepreneurship; I wouldn't be inclined to invest 4 years in a computer science degree for less actual learning.

I've encountered enough sheltered or hapless individuals whose only claim is having a degree in something that I'm not impressed. Whiny campus millennials and their overprotective parents are an example of that, as opposed to successful Millennial entrepreneurs who've started viable online business (many of which didn't invest in a degree).

That is all. The Navy required a degree for me to get commissioned. My undergrad was in history, with a computer science minor. My first assignment in the Navy was missile fire control radar. Then I did engineering, and a tour in recruiting. I finished my career as an engineer in my last two assignments.
If you really are a Navy veteran, thank you for your service (I've run into individuals online who lied about their service or fabricated identities) - I googled Admiral Tory and it's the name of a fictional character from a book,

High school dropout? My ass. I'd estimate myself to be in the top 1% percentile in terms of language.

The reality is that jobs are made through contracts and deals; family and personal connections are still a factor - college degrees aren't a "magical token" which guarantee jobs, the employer ultimately is the one who has the say whether or not to hire the person - everything I've read from actual entrepreneurs is that real money, as in the "super rich", is made through deals or negotations, as opposed to working for a salary via contract, which is what the "mass college" market is geared to.

I'm not aware of any entrepreur who became who he or she did via what was learned in college alone, or believed that mass education was a "guaranteed job", regardless of whether or not college is on their resume - it's purely consequential and has been for most of history; the "mass education" of the 1960s generation was an economic fad.

There are those who lie online about being genius entrepreneurs too. lol

I have a good friend of mine who is in the same profession I am- and just as skilled. He recently lost out on a job I was offered- because he didn't have a college degree. I do.

I agree that not all college degrees are worthwhile and certainly not for all people.

But most people will earn more money with a college degree than without one. I think people should be very careful in deciding what colleges to go to and what they can afford.

However, there is also a for profit college industry that preys on the poor and less well educated- for profit colleges tend to have better marketing than community colleges- and these degrees are often worthless- they are either not acreditted or just are such a joke that no employer will consider that degree as a degree

Maybe a lot of people do not want to be an entrepreneur or go into it via the route you chose. I didn't. My most stable son didn't. He went Business major, graduated high in the class and landed damn good job in his field within his field very quick after graduation. Yes. Networking connections made in college steered him to the interview, the degree (bases standard achieved for the position) and his personality won him the position. His mother and I raised him and helped as we could. He worked part time while in college and yes had a lot of scholarships. He graduated debt free of college loans. Nobody cares how you skin it. College in a field of interest in demand is a good ticket to your first ride.
BTW. I suspect he's the real deal. Met the type a lot before. You had to google Admiral Tory? Try the movie "In Harm's Way". You'll see the icon.

Actually that's one of my biggest problems with the entire concept.....

College degrees are like money - people invest in them because they have faith that they're worth something
People actually believe that college degrees are like money.

They are not like money. People have mistakenly believed that the degree itself is what has value.

The reason they think that, is because they look at jobs, and say "Requires X degree".

But the employer doesn't give a crap about the paper that says degree on it. They are looking for the skills.

If you don't have the skills, job skills, people skills, work skills.... then the paper means nothing.

This is why you see people paying money to get into Harvard. You see people cheating to pass tests. You see people taking the most easy classes possible, and skating through, because to them, it's not the skills that matter, its the paper.

Then they come out with a paper, and no skills, and wonder why their lives suck.

My advice to all my clients and their prospective college kids is this:
1- Major in whatever you want. Art...Music....whatever
2- Gear all your electives and strategically placed courses and also major in Business Administration.

Business Admin is not that hard and you can double major if you do it right in the same time.
If you have a degree in biz, you can do anything with your other major if you have a biz degree.
If you find out majoring in Urban Studies wasn't such a hot idea, a Biz major avoids flipping burgers with 60k in debt.

Forum List

Back