College: Cost too much?

Someone who gets out of law school with the idea that they will get a good job making good money is bound to be disappointed.

What a law degree does (and I am one that knows, intimately, what is required) is give someone a direction to follow. They will have to work much HARDER than they did while in law school. Be prepared to work 18 hour days, give up weekends, and holidays. A friend of mine spent all day Thanksgiving day preparing for a trial. For every billable hour, attorneys are expected to put in three more non billable hours. Then, the new attorney is expected to invest his miniscule salary in continuing education. Week end wordshops, seminars, courses. If the attorney goes to work for a firm, best to negotiate the firm to pick up part of these costs at the outset. Be prepared to waste time running around from court house to court house too. It's not like television where there is that one explosive appearance then back to the office to grab-ass with the secretaries.

Failure to do these things means to lock yourself into being the lowest paid of attorneys watching those who apply themselves leapfrog over you.

Someone who does want to be successful, wildly so, commanding the highest fees will not stop at a law degree at all. They will FURTHER invest. Give up Starbucks and bring sack lunches while they work through lunchtimes. They will go back to school to get a technical degree. One attorney I know got an engineering degree after law school, then went back to get an electrical engineering degree. ON TOP of all the work and education associated with just working as a lawyer. After going to a middling law school, he is quite, quite wealthy. Attorneys who specialize in medical malpractice have no problem whatsoever going to med school AFTER law school.

Thinking that graduating law school will open doors is going to doom you to being a poor lawyer endlessly scratching out a living in competition with all the other poor and lazy lawyers.

And, admissions? Does everyone go?

Yes. Everyone who wants to go, goes!

The entire state of education there is different. Parents do not give their own children the option of failing. Bad grades are always the child's fault. There's a book about the Chinese Tiger Moms and how they raise their children.

Once in college, the government pays, for everything. They won't hand that value away for nothing. A student caught drunk, or having sex, or partying, has disrespected the gift. They are transferred to one of the factories. They live in dormitories, essentially as slaves. They make all the cheap stuff you buy at Wal Mart.

It's a good system.

It's an entertaining story, but it is not reality.

It is according to the many Chinese I know.

The entire state of education there is different. Parents do not give their own children the option of failing. Bad grades are always the child's fault. There's a book about the Chinese Tiger Moms and how they raise their children.

Once in college, the government pays, for everything. They won't hand that value away for nothing. A student caught drunk, or having sex, or partying, has disrespected the gift. They are transferred to one of the factories. They live in dormitories, essentially as slaves. They make all the cheap stuff you buy at Wal Mart.

It's a good system.

Yeah, great system.

Unfinished Homework Leads 3 Chinese Schoolgirls to Suicide – chinaSMACK <- LINK

We live in a world with computers and robots and we will not acknowledge the extent to which planned obsolescence has made the economy the way it is. Manufacturing garbage that does not last does create jobs. But what is the point. Wouldn't a 3-day work week with longer lasting products make more sense?

We are all supposed to be brainwashed into STUPID Competition. Get straight A's in worthless courses to make jobs for educators teaching them? Wouldn't a national reading list make for EFFICIENT EDUCATION? But teachers might not like it. :lol:

psik

High school kids aren't that bright. True story. :lol:

Now normally, that is to say in a place where most people are presumably not imbeciles, I might be included to make a quip about "your grasp of the obvious", Chanel.

But in THIS PLACE?

A place where people, time after time, prove to us that they are somewhat REALITY CHALLENGED?

I suppose pointing out the drop-dead obvious is the responsibility of those (like you) who ARE somewhat familiar with the actual world and how people in it really ARE..

So good post, and thanks for my LOL moment of the morning. :razz:

It's a good system.

It's an entertaining story, but it is not reality.

It is according to the many Chinese I know.

It is not. I taught at a university in China for two years. It is not free (it was at one time but not for a long while now) although there are some special programs for particularly poor students from rural areas, and young people there do what young people do everywhere (drinking, sex, the works). Dormitories and other facilities have (as you might imagine) improved greatly as tuition has increased. Students are not 'punished' by sending them to work in factories. Sending a student to go work in a factory would be stupid for reasons that should be obvious. The Cultural Revolution has been over for some time now.

Wouldn't a 3-day work week with longer lasting products make more sense?

We are all supposed to be brainwashed into STUPID Competition. Get straight A's in worthless courses to make jobs for educators teaching them?

Words cannot express what an empty-headed dope you are.

Wouldn't a 3-day work week with longer lasting products make more sense?

We are all supposed to be brainwashed into STUPID Competition. Get straight A's in worthless courses to make jobs for educators teaching them?

Words cannot express what an empty-headed dope you are.

You should stop trying to use words. You advertise your lack of imagination.

Our entire economics profession can fail to talk about how much is lost on the depreciation of automobiles every year. The Laws of Physics would make that happen even without planned obsolescence. So how can the nation that put men on the Moon be this absurd?

What kind of educational system is this? Can't make 700 year old double-entry accounting mandatory in the schools. :lol: Educators don't even suggest the idea.

psik

Here are some more words for you: YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON.

You're just another one of these idiots who has convinced himself that any cockeyed notion that wanders into your empty skull is absolutely brilliant and must be shared with the world no matter how stupid, impractical, or dangerously irresponsible it might be. Here's a newsflash from the world OUTSIDE your little pea brain: Your ideas are NOT brilliant, will never happen, and are best kept to yourself.

Here are some more words for you: YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON.

You're just another one of these idiots who has convinced himself that any cockeyed notion that wanders into your empty skull is absolutely brilliant and must be shared with the world no matter how stupid, impractical, or dangerously irresponsible it might be. Here's a newsflash from the world OUTSIDE your little pea brain: Your ideas are NOT brilliant, will never happen, and are best kept to yourself.

There you go, messing with those words again.

So are you telling us that automobiles do not depreciate?

Or are you telling us that the economics profession has been reporting that depreciation every year?

Anyone should have no trouble checking those. Or will calling me a moron again help you feel better? :lol:

psik

You gonna tell us about the sci-fi books you read in Jr High again?

Save it for your shrink, moron.

I didn't attend a Jr. High.

Politicians should read Science Fiction, not Westerns and Detective stories.
-Arthur C. Clarke
Politicians should read Science Fiction, not Westerns and Detective stories. -Arthur C. Clarke

Cost of Living by Sheckley Robert
"Cost of Living" by Sheckley Robert Free Download. The book is added by Weavrmom (California) Read online books at OnRead.com.

Subversive by Reynolds Mack
"Subversive" by Reynolds Mack Free Download. The book is added by K. Havard (Texas) Read online books at OnRead.com.

And what have you posted that would be interesting to anybody?

psik

I knew it. :rolleyes:

Stick to talking with the voices in your head. They are the only ones who give a shit about your stupid ideas.

Good article on the rising costs of going to college. Am I glad I have my degree!

Back in 1989, Hoosier freshmen at public colleges paid an average of $1,685 a year in tuition and fees. Next year, they will pay four times that -- $6,922 -- a 311 percent increase.

From 1989 to 2011, Purdue University's main campus in West Lafayette has raised tuition 395 percent; Indiana University in Bloomington, 370 percent; and Ball State, 356 percent.

In that same time, the Consumer Price Index has increased 81.9 percent, according to a Bureau of Labor Statistics calculator. If Purdue's tuition increase had matched that Consumer Price Index increase dollar for dollar, the 1989 tuition of $1,916 would be $3,487 -- as opposed to the $9,478 Purdue students will pay during the 2011-12 school year.

That's even more staggering when you consider Indiana's median family income rose just 33 percent during that time.

Colleges charge big tuition because they can | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

At the present time here in Ireland, college costs 1,500 euros a year in administration fees. No tuition.

Good article on the rising costs of going to college. Am I glad I have my degree!

Back in 1989, Hoosier freshmen at public colleges paid an average of $1,685 a year in tuition and fees. Next year, they will pay four times that -- $6,922 -- a 311 percent increase.

From 1989 to 2011, Purdue University's main campus in West Lafayette has raised tuition 395 percent; Indiana University in Bloomington, 370 percent; and Ball State, 356 percent.

In that same time, the Consumer Price Index has increased 81.9 percent, according to a Bureau of Labor Statistics calculator. If Purdue's tuition increase had matched that Consumer Price Index increase dollar for dollar, the 1989 tuition of $1,916 would be $3,487 -- as opposed to the $9,478 Purdue students will pay during the 2011-12 school year.

That's even more staggering when you consider Indiana's median family income rose just 33 percent during that time.

Colleges charge big tuition because they can | Journal and Courier | jconline.com

At the present time here in Ireland, college costs 1,500 euros a year in administration fees. No tuition.

And taxpayers pick up the rest (probably at no bargain).

Education might benefit all of society. That's not the same thing as college or even school at all being a benefit.

Forum List

Back