Collective bargaining "rights"??

So are the teachers for the kids or the money? If they are for the kids they will teach.

This is not just about teachers you idiot.

Its about teachers and all Americans.

Its about the right to have some control over what happens to your life.

You know those old fashioned ideas of life liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
They have all the control they need. They can choose to accept employment under the terms offered or they can choose to go elsewhere.

And the boss can choose to meet their demands or do without their work

Proletarian and Capitalist: both operate within the same labour market

Which is why the power of the union comes from the solidarity of the proletariat and the one big union must stand united

This is why the bosses, the unions, and the strike-breakers (can you say Pinkerton?) have all used violence in the past

Crossing the picket line is not a neutral act. The nature of work means that a worker cannot simply say they are not involved in the dispute and remain neutral. Since the point of withdrawing labour is to cease production and force the bosses to negotiate or capitulate, going back to work is to objectively favour those in charge. It gives them a way to carry on work (even at a reduced rate) without the strikers and so lessens the impact of the action. It is, in short, a betrayal of your fellow workers and of the spirit of solidarity that brought us to the (limited) rights and freedoms we enjoy today from conditions comparable to Chinese sweatshops.

The line you do not cross

There's a reason they call it class war

Now were do i say they do not have the right to assemble?

Let them assemble all they want.

I do say, get rid of the unions.

Getting rid of unions = refusing to allow assembly.

You're making Chavez proud.

No it doesn't.

They can gather and protest to their wee hearts' content.

What they do not have the right to do is to force others into contracts (which is what collective bargaining is) against their will.
You're an idiot

unionization =/= closed shop

Prove they had no choice
No it doesn't.

What they do not have the right to do is to force others into contracts (which is what collective bargaining is) against their will.

They signed the contracts against their wills?

Constitution be damned! Amazing how quickly so-called conservatives will toss the Constitution when it doesn't benefit them. All good authoritarian dictators outlaw unions.

The right of assembly is in the first amendment, thanks very much.

You're confusing the right to assemble with a right to compel other to reccognize that assembly.

No it doesn't.

You're an idiot

unionization =/= closed shop

You're a Bigger Moron.

Please read up on the Card Check bill which is specifically designed to force people into unions against their wills.

In this case, however, I'm referring to taxpayers being the paying party for public employee union benefits against our wills. The negotiations are being done by people who are actually on the same side of the table.

You're confusing the right to assemble with a right to compel other to reccognize that assembly.

They're not recognizing a new country or anything. They're just recognizing that if they convince these few people to accept an agreement, the rest will go along with it and they don't have to work out thousands of contracts. They recognize that they only have to deal with a handful of people through whom workers will bring their complaints instead of having to deal with everyone 1-on-1. It's a mirror of the boss appointing a human resources director- the workers appoint a president and union reps to represent them to the guys who represent the CEOs

I think they have a right to do that. As in, they can as a group protest their work environment and demand another agreement.

But by that same logic, their employer has a right to then fire their spoiled asses and hire someone else who will actually be grateful for a job and show up for work.
In a right to work state thats true, but WI law curreently does not allow the employer to fire them. It also does not require the employer to bargain with them.

As i understand it, the workers have the right to unionize under freedom of assembly, and the right to appoint people to speak for them under freedom of speech. What they don't have is the right to compell anyone to bargain with them or even to acknowledge them.

Right to work states are the best. I'm in one now.

BREAKING NEWS RIGHT NOW ON LIMBAUGH, VIA FOX NEWS:

Average teacher's salary in Wisconsin: Over $85,000

Average teacher's salary in Wisconsin is about 49,000.

Right to work states are generally leeches on the federal government with lower average wages and crappy educational rankings.

They're not recognizing a new country or anything. They're just recognizing that if they convince these few people to accept an agreement, the rest will go along with it and they don't have to work out thousands of contracts. They recognize that they only have to deal with a handful of people through whom workers will bring their complaints instead of having to deal with everyone 1-on-1. It's a mirror of the boss appointing a human resources director- the workers appoint a president and union reps to represent them to the guys who represent the CEOs
So what? The state is under no obligation to reccognize it. there ain't no unions in my state government and they seem to be able to find employees just fine. Advertise the position offer a salary. Take it or leave it. No need to bargain with a union at all. As far as dealing with problems go, that would be what supervisors are for. Don't like the result? Oh fucking well.

With U6 unemployment at 16%+, finding educated, motivated, and competent people to replace the teachers at reasonable compensation levels should be quite easy.

In a right to work state thats true, but WI law curreently does not allow the employer to fire them. It also does not require the employer to bargain with them.

As i understand it, the workers have the right to unionize under freedom of assembly, and the right to appoint people to speak for them under freedom of speech. What they don't have is the right to compell anyone to bargain with them or even to acknowledge them.

Right to work states are generally leeches on the federal government with lower average wages and crappy educational rankings.
:eusa_eh:

source?

How is forced-unionism any different than union-breaking? Both ensure that the boss/leaders can prevent people from free association and trying to find the best job/pay in order to improve their condition

Just about every headline I have read about the proposed budget changes in Wisconsin mentions Collective Bargaining "rights". I am NOT the sharpest tack in the box, and after extensive Google searches, can find no LAW that stipulates such rights. What am I missing?
The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Okay.

Where in the Constitution does is specify that Government Employees have collective bargaining rights?

Where does it say in the Constitution that a right must be specifically mentioned in the Constitution in order to be a right??

With U6 unemployment at 16%+, finding educated, motivated, and competent people to replace the teachers at reasonable compensation levels should be quite easy.
The problem is that Wi allows closed shops

I suspect that's what we have here- the contract forbids the hiring of non-union teachers

Just false. North carolina is like the god of right to work states, its a right to hire and fire state, meaning the job belongs to the employer and they can hire or fire you for any reason or no reason at all. The highschool my kids went to was ranked in the top 100 in the nation by newsweek magazine and we arguably have one of the best university systems in the country.

And how much do they make in benefits along with that 49k per year? So its not just 49k, its much more then that.

The Maciver Institute has a study that the total comp and benefits package for Milwaukee WI school teachers totals $100,000. The benefits load is huge!

[Milwaukee, Wisconsin] For the first time in history, the average annual compensation for a teacher in the Milwaukee Public School system will exceed $100,000.

That staggering figure was revealed last night at a meeting of the MPS School Board.

The average salary for an MPS teacher is $56,500. When fringe benefits are factored in, the annual compensation will be $100,005 in 2011.

Average Milwaukee Public School Teacher Compensation Tops $100k/year

Strangely, the Maciver Institute website is inaccessible today.

Last edited:
So what? The state is under no obligation to reccognize it. there ain't no unions in my state government

Nor are there any decent English teachers, evidently.
I didn't know I was writing a thesis.

and they seem to be able to find employees just fine.

Nor are we unionized where I work. What's your point?
whats your question? I made my point. The state is under no obligation to bargain with them. Thats it. There is no other point.

They don't have a choice. Once the workers decide to unionize, they can act as a union regardless of whether you call them a union or not.

You think the bosses just went along with it when the Wobblies came to town?

Forum List

Back